People who should come back

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This must have been an iteration after 2005/6. That's when I first faded out of the (I think) second iteration of the forums. Might have still been the first. Anyway, there was no "RA" (whatever that means) back then. Resident Answers? 🤔

The one before whichever iteration this one is.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/120/1.html

Yeah, the old Resident Answers archives can be found there also, just in a different section.  Go up one level from your link, to Second Life Forums Archive.  Then down the Resident Forums branch:

image.png.f54dd80ad1703c9d53fd728262de3c6c.png

My understanding is that it was the second set of forums - the set after the 2005/6 ones that you linked (and 2 sets before this current incarnation).  The Resident Answers part is where all the activity was when I joined in early 2007.

• Like 2

While I'm delighted to see some of the past forumites popping in here, I have to say I have no desire to go back to any of those old archived things. There was fun in there. There was, as was recently said, dumpster fires, some brutal things. Selfishly I wish that those old archives would be set on fire, but I realize there are good memories there for many, and some good information for those that like digging.

I hope whoever shows up, shows up... people come and go for good reasons or no reasons. If folks return, it still won't be back then... and that's as it should be. As much as I don't like a lot of the new rules, moderation was needed back then. I'm glad that if some of the "others" show up, that at least right now we can rest assured the dumpster fires and blatant brutality would not be allowed. It is a shame that we can't seem to have both a vigorous place to exchange in various conversation AND reasonable moderation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, the old Resident Answers archives can be found there also, just in a different section.  Go up one level from your link, to Second Life Forums Archive.  Then down the Resident Forums branch:

image.png.f54dd80ad1703c9d53fd728262de3c6c.png

My understanding is that it was the second set of forums - the set after the 2005/6 ones that you linked (and 2 sets before this current incarnation).  The Resident Answers part is where all the activity was when I joined in early 2007.

As I was saying, I was on the first iteration and there was no Resident Answers section in 2005. It was also NOT the iteration I linked. That iteration (the 2006 one) must have been the first one to have RA. I ditched the forums before the 2006 "upgrade".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm not seeing anywhere where anyone suggested such a thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯p

People are talking about the archived forums, where they are, and how to access them. And they have been for several posts before the one I wrote referring to the same.

Nostalgia can be a fine thing, and so is knowing where to go to find old, archived material.

And there are plenty of people who used to post in the forums that many of us older residents remember fondly and miss.

All that's good. But I don't think anyone is arguing that we should go back to The Way Things Were. Even if they were, there's no chance of that; our Linden Hosts would not allow it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Nostalgia can be a fine thing, and so is knowing where to go to find old, archived material.

And there are plenty of people who used to post in the forums that many of us older residents remember fondly and miss.

All that's good. But I don't think anyone is arguing that we should go back to The Way Things Were. Even if they were, there's no chance of that; our Linden Hosts would not allow it.

If my post a few up was indicating that I was saying others were saying we should go back, that was not my intent or meaning. I was simply talking about my reaction to the old archives, in conjunction with the discussion about who should return ( and hopefully who maybe should not). That's it. MY reaction.

ETA: Even more simply, I was opining I personally don't want to read the archives; I wish they didn't exist... My selfish reaction.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I wish they didn't exist... My selfish reaction.

Happily, many of my more embarrassing moments here disappeared when a great chunk of GD (roughly 2009-2010) vaporized in, I think, 2017.

Unhappily, there were also some great threads from that era that are no longer here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moles

It is healthy to remember both the good times and the uncomfortable times. This is how a community builds on the past. Please remember, though, that our current guidelines about naming and shaming ought to apply to former forum members as well. I think we would expect the same as future forum members in 2030 remember us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ok, I know I said I didn't want to post names here because I'd be sure to leave out many. But, in the interest of getting this thread back on topic, and inserting a more positive spin, here's a very partial, incomplete, and subjective list of people whom I wish were back. I am absolutely certain I've forgotten people I'll kick myself for having not listed here, but . . .

I've drawn these from all of the periods I've been here.

I'll start with those whom I know are sort of around because they've posted recently, or are maybe still active elsewhere on the forums, or I've noticed them online in-world. There are all people who should be here more often.

In absolutely no particular order:

@Elora Lunasea
@Maureen Boccaccio (aka FC Den Mother)
@Perrie Juran
@Pamela Galli
@Han Held
@Gabriele Graves
@Nika Talaj
@Sylvia Tamalyn
@Kylie Jaxxon

Now others who, so far as I know, have not been around for a while, or at least I haven't seen them.

Again, in no particular order:

@Dillon Levenque (Wonderful person.)
@Hippie Bowman (Well, duh.)
@Treasure Ballinger (One of my all-time favourites here. An utter delight.)
@Rhonda Huntress (Sad face.)
@Clover Jinx (Another sad face.)
@Argus Collingwood
@Canoro Philipp
@Parhelion Palou
@Amaranthim Talon (One of the very first people to take me under her wing on the old RA)
@Katheryne Helendale
@Ghosty Kips (Because Elora will get lonely.)
@Lexxi Gynoid
@Rioko Bamaisin
@Quinn Morani
@Keli Kyrie
@Eli Schlegal
@Ossian1488303077
@Suspiria Finucane
@Lia Abbot (Always a hoot!)
@Deltango Vale (Clever and sensible. She used to wrap my knuckles occasionally, in a nice but deserved way.)
@Ags Falconer (My favourite monkey.)
@Medhue Simoni
@DQ Darwin
@Sandra Frascati
@Ceera Murakami
@Mags Indigo
@Elric Anatine (Such a gentleman, in the nice sense of that word.)
@Magnus Brody
@Jacki Silverfall
@Snickers Snook (Ran into her in-world a while ago!)

There are a TON of older people from the RA days not on this list -- people in some cases I still am friends with in-world, or on (*gasp*) Facebook, but this is a good start.

And again, NOT COMPREHENSIVE. Basically, the forums have historically mostly been populated by lovely people. Lots of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

.... a great chunk of GD (roughly 2009-2010) vaporized in, I think, 2017.

L👀ks about.... Oh thank goodness! 😸

Mr Yuk - (3 letter name starting and ending with P.....
repeatedly made fun of a popular SLrs RL childs disability inworld, out-of-world in public and also in private.
Hence the outing of his private & financial details in the real world and being hunted down and treated like the
dawgsdoodoo he was.

Wa$ted Eng was just fun and eventually, many tried to make it a more pleasant place for him.

None of the above mega sagas, brutal responses & behaviour would cut it in todays public/moderated forums.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:35 AM, Seicher Rae said:

image.thumb.png.f403b5c11c621c067d2607249578404c.png

On 8/12/2022 at 11:39 AM, HeavenLeigh Hellershanks said:

I don't get it. 

Did you just out someone as an alt? 

I don't know if I'm being misunderstood, or joked with or... It is late, I'm tired and I get really stupider when tired, so in case this was me being misunderstood (again), in my original post I pointed to @Qie Niangao 's response because Qie was one of the people on several people's lists, so I was flagging "here! present! accounted for."  But I could have been misunderstanding getting goofed around with, too. So...  I think I need to go ni ni now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Maryanne Solo said:

None of the above mega sagas, brutal responses & behaviour would cut it in todays public/moderated forums.

No, they would not. It was the wild west here then.

And that, seriously, is something to reflect upon here as we gripe about the new guidelines.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, they would not. It was the wild west here then.

And that, seriously, is something to reflect upon here as we gripe about the new guidelines.

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

As much as I don't like a lot of the new rules, moderation was needed back then. I'm glad that if some of the "others" show up, that at least right now we can rest assured the dumpster fires and blatant brutality would not be allowed. It is a shame that we can't seem to have both a vigorous place to exchange in various conversation AND reasonable moderation.

Just emphasizing the points. :)
Now, really... night night. :)

🛏️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, I know I said I didn't want to post names here because I'd be sure to leave out many. But, in the interest of getting this thread back on topic, and inserting a more positive spin, here's a very partial, incomplete, and subjective list of people whom I wish were back. I am absolutely certain I've forgotten people I'll kick myself for having not listed here, but . . .

I've drawn these from all of the periods I've been here.

I'll start with those whom I know are sort of around because they've posted recently, or are maybe still active elsewhere on the forums, or I've noticed them online in-world. There are all people who should be here more often.

In absolutely no particular order:

@Elora Lunasea
@Maureen Boccaccio (aka FC Den Mother)
@Perrie Juran
@Pamela Galli
@Han Held
@Gabriele Graves
@Nika Talaj
@Sylvia Tamalyn
@Kylie Jaxxon

Now others who, so far as I know, have not been around for a while, or at least I haven't seen them.

Again, in no particular order:

@Dillon Levenque (Wonderful person.)
@Hippie Bowman (Well, duh.)
@Treasure Ballinger (One of my all-time favourites here. An utter delight.)
@Rhonda Huntress (Sad face.)
@Clover Jinx (Another sad face.)
@Argus Collingwood
@Canoro Philipp
@Parhelion Palou
@Amaranthim Talon (One of the very first people to take me under her wing on the old RA)
@Katheryne Helendale
@Ghosty Kips (Because Elora will get lonely.)
@Lexxi Gynoid
@Rioko Bamaisin
@Quinn Morani
@Keli Kyrie
@Eli Schlegal
@Ossian1488303077
@Suspiria Finucane
@Lia Abbot (Always a hoot!)
@Deltango Vale (Clever and sensible. She used to wrap my knuckles occasionally, in a nice but deserved way.)
@Ags Falconer (My favourite monkey.)
@Medhue Simoni
@DQ Darwin
@Sandra Frascati
@Ceera Murakami
@Mags Indigo
@Elric Anatine (Such a gentleman, in the nice sense of that word.)
@Magnus Brody
@Jacki Silverfall
@Snickers Snook (Ran into her in-world a while ago!)

There are a TON of older people from the RA days not on this list -- people in some cases I still am friends with in-world, or on (*gasp*) Facebook, but this is a good start.

And again, NOT COMPREHENSIVE. Basically, the forums have historically mostly been populated by lovely people. Lots of them.

That's so nice Sis. I'm here. RL has not been kind, I've lost my RL husband to Covid. But I'm here. Will try to be more active. Thanks for the kind words. 

• Sad 12

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I don't know if I'm being misunderstood, or joked with or... It is late, I'm tired and I get really stupider when tired, so in case this was me being misunderstood (again), in my original post I pointed to @Qie Niangao 's response because Qie was one of the people on several people's lists, so I was flagging "here! present! accounted for."  But I could have been misunderstanding getting goofed around with, too. So...  I think I need to go ni ni now.

I believe you were misunderstood. I got your intent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Treasure Ballinger said:

That's so nice Sis. I'm here. RL has not been kind, I've lost my RL husband to Covid. But I'm here. Will try to be more active. Thanks for the kind words. 

Treasure, you always were a treasure. I’m so saddened to hear of your loss and wish the best for you going forward.

• Like 2

I check the forum out of habit a couple times a week, but it has come to the point where for me world conflagration overshadows every other conversation topic. This is yet another of many places where I have to converse like Rome is not burning or not at all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

It is healthy to remember both the good times and the uncomfortable times. This is how a community builds on the past. Please remember, though, that our current guidelines about naming and shaming ought to apply to former forum members as well. I think we would expect the same as future forum members in 2030 remember us.

Do you honestly think that there still will be an active SL forum in 2030?
It will need some chat bots with random phrases about SL to accomplish that, if you ask me.
Forums in general are an endangered species all over the Internet.
Other media like the social media took over already.

And to make people weight every word they publish here even more nowadays, doesn't help much either for the life expectancy of this particular forum IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Do you honestly think that there still will be an active SL forum in 2030?
It will need some chat bots with random phrases about SL to accomplish that, if you ask me.
Forums are a endangered species all over the Internet.

And to make people weight every word they publish here even more nowadays, doesn't help much either IMHO.

It's only 8 years from now, I plan to be here.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Forums are a endangered species all over the Internet.

I mean, there's Discord, but Discord is sort of this opaque mostly-unindexed heap of isolated communities. There's Facebook, but it's difficult to consider them a real option regardless of their perennial populist appeal because of the peril associated with their precept and the particulars of their persistently problematic governance. Youtube isn't a great alternative to web forums, nor Twitter or Flickr. I mean, the people must go *somewhere*, but it's mystifying where they are. There are more people on the Internet than ever they say, but it's harder to meet people and make friends online with Internet than it was 1994-2004, that's for certain. The Internet has somehow become a tool of isolation rather than connection, I fear. Now it has become exceedingly difficult for people to find and connect with social creative communities of like minds with which to integrate. It's like having a phone but no phone numbers except the yellow pages, or you find these communities and it's like they all packed up and left one day several years ago and ... where are they? Where is everyone? That's what the Internet feels like, lately. We need to be sociable as civilizations, and yet somehow the Internet has became incredibly isolating in its structure. It's a burdensome load to the spirit and I cannot comprehend why people would want to live in such an inhospitable home. And yet this is the Internet they've been building.

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.