How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

4 hours ago, Angelina String said:

Just a quick snap to show Sara that I DO remember to feed Boxie when she's not around!

Snapshot_4415_cr.thumb.jpg.e4a4bec875b4594bb47b17d6076e8720.jpg

Wow... Taya, and holistic dog food at that!!!! I’m sure Boxie is very appreciative 🐕

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tess Falworth said:

Whenever I hear sales I like to check them out, and MILA Skins is having a closeout sale on her older line of skins, which is still gorgeous, imho. I am using Catwa's Catya head and Belleza's Freya body. I already had the body appliers for both the older ( and newer line) of skins, so I just purchased the 99L head applier which also comes in BOM layers. I just cannot resist a sale! Easy way for someone on an SL budget to get some lovely thing without breaking their SL bank. I've always been a fan of MILA from her poses and skins to her appliers too! Again, as before, this is just a crop to the image taken in SL on High Rez. Nothing else done to it :)

277377042_veronicashapecatyafreyacloseupusethis_001.thumb.png.017a3cf1d3ac6593f4827a63a46d7c9d.png

I also love MILA skins!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, janetosilio said:

Right. I get that, that’s not what I’m saying.

So over the years, LL has offered various starter avatars. There was a point in time the starter avatars were mesh, but uncustomizable. That didn’t break the legacy content. They just relegated the older legacy avatars to a folder and that was that. Then they went back to the system avatar with updated mesh outfits.

Ruth/Roth 2.0 is an updated version of the system avatar, basically the same thing with a better topology and higher poly, but not super high like people complain about.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/PROJECT-Ruth-20-Release-Candidate-1v2/16068068

So what I’m wondering is why don’t they just adopt a body like that. Have that be the starter avatar, relegate the other avatars to a folder like before so that legacy content won’t be broken. Technically, you’d still be wearing the system avatar like you do now, so you don’t have to worry about buying all of the things you have to now. You’d also, start out with exactly what everybody else has ie a mesh body and head and all the same rules apply.

So basically what I’m saying is: Ruth/Roth 2.0 (or something similar)>learn all the mesh rules with new noob body>branch out into other mesh products and not have to learn everything all over again because you’ve been working with similar ways of doing things since day one.

There has to be a reason they haven’t done that.

It depends on what you mean by "adopt". Everybody, including Lindens updates mesh bodies. Every so often it could be said the Lab adopts new bodies, making them the Starter Avatars for new users.

Original Ruth/Roth bodies are written into the viewer. A change to that code changes the body of anyone using the viewer and a Classic body. It is that body the Starter Avatars basically replace. But, those bodies are not built into the viewer. I don't expect the Lab to change the Ruth/Roth code in the viewer. I do expect new starter avatars. I think most if not all those Starters were made by non-Lindens and acquired by the Lab.

The Ruth 2.0 in the MP is just another 3rd Party mesh body that uploads.

If the Lab steps in and competes with designers giving away stuff for free, the Lab loses money. Lose enough and SL closes. Things are changing. But, the Lab will always need an income.

I think BoM is an attempt to return people to the original way avatars work. I think BoM will reduce the learning curve. I expect the next set of starter avatars to use BoM and be much simpler to learn.

The only reason I suspect the Lab hasn't done that is a lack of manpower. They have hired more people and they are still behind schedule on a couple of big features/projects. We may see EEP roll out in February... or at least by March. The  new guy Linden said EEP is in the Burn Down phase, meaning the are fixing bugs faster than they are being reported. So, I expect soon...

On 2/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, Marianne Little said:

After deleting 1200 items and placed a lot of other things in folders, I tried on an old outfit and went to Storybook Forest. This is the first picture I took... it is heavy to move when I turn up graphics.

fae_001ed2.jpg

Cute avatar.

When you turn up your graphics, reduce the Draw Distance. Turning graphics up may drop your viewer frame rate, but your mouse and clicks should be OK. Turning up Draw Distance increases the data load as more servers have to talk to the viewer and the com channel gets crowded which can result in a sluggish mouse or keyboard.

A low frame rate, below 10, can make the mouse and keys seem slow as it takes a bit for the effect to show on screen. You sort of have to figure out what is being slow verses looking slow. As long as the server FPS (44) and Time Dilation (1.0) are good the mouse and keys should be decent along with the avatar moving even if jerky. With the Draw Distance high and com slow, the avatar keeps walking or standing for a couple of seconds after you press or release the keys or make clicks. Experiment to see what works well for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1