How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I don't come from a communication background, but do have some fine art training. I agree that the best art tends to tell a story, but my take on it is slightly different. It should tell a story to the viewer, but not necessarily the same story that the artist had in mind.

So much this. I do come from a communication background, so we ensure every image we use tell a story, though we do try to influence the clarity of that story. Anything else is mostly narcissism. LOL

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

[lots of good stuff about how weird Flickr is]

6 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

[less stuff about how weird Flickr is, but still good]

Yeah, I decided some time ago not to play the Flickr follower game. I belong to 10 groups, 6 of which are thematically specialized or post-by-invite-only, and only 1 of which is really very large. Most of my pics get posted in 4 to 5 groups, so they don't get seen by all that many people. I'm totally fine with that: I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to do more than that, particularly as faves seem so utterly, meaninglessly arbitrary.

4 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

My pics are a glimpse at an emotion or state of mind at the time it was taken. If people like it, maybe they felt it too or it's just be complete BS. Either way I like my own pics enough to keep taking them. 😁 

That's an excellent point, and often true of me. it is nice when people like my pics, and it makes me feel as though I've accomplished something (what, I don't really know), but, again, yes, I generally (not always) enjoy making and even looking at my own pics enough that that is justification enough for taking them.

I'm not actually complaining that I don't get more faves -- if I wanted to be racking up 100s of likes, I think I probably know how to go about it. I'm just puzzled about how they are doled out to my own pics. One good point implied by your comments: trying to tailor my pics to what I know will "succeed" is probably stupid.

Yes, gaming the system or however you want to describe it. Not always, there are some people who routinely post brilliant work and do get the attention. One who comes to mind is Tralala Loordes.

Yes, the very best photographers, I think, generally do get noticed. It's just hard to find them sometimes amidst the dross.

Oh, that kind of prediction, your own work. Welcome to the club. I've scratched off a patch of hair (ew) wondering that, not just Flickr (although that is the most obvious one in terms of sheer numbers) but on the SL Feed and here. I never guess my own work correctly. To be fair to me, I rarely guess other people's correctly. Another photographer, friend, Myra, posts on the Feed and she'll post a series of the "same" shot, with small differences, as a way to chronicle works in progress. I will like one or two in the series, not every one, just so to "vote." Yeah, I usually don't pick the most popular. Take away from that: If you're posting for popularity, choose opposite from me.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was getting at. I'd say that my own predictions have about a 60% accuracy.

For my own work I did a mini survey. I kept track. Here's what I learned: Bright, saturated colors will get the most likes. OR a very contrasty B&W.  Photoshopped always wins over raw. Selfies. Anything with boobs. Anything with people over people-less landscapes, still lives, abstracts. Least favorites are dark landscapes that don't "translate" well into either the thumbnails on the Feed or small images on a phone (but look awesome sauce full sized).

/me takes notes, while rummaging through her wardrobe for something really light, colourful and (of course) low cut.

• Like 4

I don't come from a communication background, but do have some fine art training. I agree that the best art tends to tell a story, but my take on it is slightly different. It should tell a story to the viewer, but not necessarily the same story that the artist had in mind.

No, I think we're on the same page. People continue to read (the inevitable) Shakespeare, listen to Bach, and take pleasure in Valesquez because they say different things to every generation, and possibly to every member of their audience. I'd say that there are "wrong" ways to read a work of art (it's not entirely subjective), but there are nearly limitless "right" ways of reading it also. The best art is that which continues, always, to generate new and exciting meanings, and tell what is often the same story in endlessly new and interesting ways and contexts.

The case of your own pic is interesting. I'm thinking about it . . .

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd say that there are "wrong" ways to read a work of art (it's not entirely subjective), but there are nearly limitless "right" ways of reading it also.

Excellent point. Yes, for example on the is it a giving up or life affirming image discussed above, both are valid and understandable. (It took me a while to see how the folks were interpreting it as positive, but it finally sunk in.) If people thought it was a story about how aliens, who look like tiny plaid bunnies, landed on Earth and enslaved the human population, I'd probably chalk that up into the "wrong" category. Besides, that would be this:

original_502ec0d0dca0d5254a000001.png

ETA the sound track that must accompany the image

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

lol... Depends.

I think it depends on lots of factors. The two big ones, how busy and who the moderators are then whether or not it gets reported. Basically a 'did the moderators see it'. There is also a reputation thing. Look in your profile and you'll see Warning Points and Applied restrictions. I suspect the points get your posts more attention.

There are some vindictive people on the forum. I suspect that is why NiranV gets EVERY (well... lots) image censored. Niran has stepped on a lot of toes, some Linden, with a good number of those toes being in the development community but not limited to them That's nothing against Niran, it's just Niran being Niran and his avatar does have big feet.

Rule number 1. No step on snek.

• Like 4

So generally I just roam SL in a full alpha layer as I'M rubbish with the doll dressing and I have more FPS in this way.

Well I was thinking that I'm in full alpha as I don't see myself just from the back from the front ... I'm a little visible. 

Snapshot_002.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

Whenever I hear sales I like to check them out, and MILA Skins is having a closeout sale on her older line of skins, which is still gorgeous, imho. I am using Catwa's Catya head and Belleza's Freya body. I already had the body appliers for both the older ( and newer line) of skins, so I just purchased the 99L head applier which also comes in BOM layers. I just cannot resist a sale! Easy way for someone on an SL budget to get some lovely thing without breaking their SL bank. I've always been a fan of MILA from her poses and skins to her appliers too! Again, as before, this is just a crop to the image taken in SL on High Rez. Nothing else done to it :)

277377042_veronicashapecatyafreyacloseupusethis_001.thumb.png.017a3cf1d3ac6593f4827a63a46d7c9d.png

• Like 22