Simple Question about the use of the Advanced Lighting Model

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It depends where I am and what I am doing. At home always on in ultra settings with shadows.
When sailing and flying most of the time off.

For pictures always ultra settings except for portraits. Most avatar's faces show ugly shades with advanced light.

• Thanks 1

I have advanced lighting on most of the time - shadows, reflections etc. but with depth of field turned off.

I switch to a basic lighting setting sometimes if I arrive at a busy club, just until everyone rezzes, then it's normally OK to return to advanced lighting.

• Thanks 1

I turn down graphics presets when I go to a busy area and turn it back up when I go elsewhere. This causes advanced lighting model to turn off and on. Sometimes when I forget to turn it on the lighting on my avatar looks very strange and that usually reminds me.

• Thanks 1

Basically always on. I do have a preset for shopping events where it's off, but I'll usually hit the show friends only button before resorting to switching my preset.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

How many of you use the Advanced Lighting Model in your viewer? https://gyazo.com/e4b335dc7a3737f32d50480479804c63

never first thing to turn off anytime I reinstall viewer, routine is turn off advanced lighting, turn particles off, turn off transparent water, turn off local lights. I bump up object slider to max so mesh of most even poor LOD looks decent and does not break up as horrible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have it on almost all the time, but shadows turned off for daily use. Shadows (Sun , moon, projectors) when I take pictures.

Also a low version for crowded, full regions. But I almost never need it with the shadows off and low draw distance. On my stationary, it goes well.

On my laptop, it screams in protest when forced to Advanced lightning. But I still use advanced lightning on it a lot of the time. Never shadows though.

• Thanks 1

ALM and shadows always on. If I'm working I will turn on midday but that doesn't negate the need for having ALM enabled for me. The world just looks flat without ALM and shadows for me. If I'm in a really laggy place then I will typically adjust level of complexity for other avatars or only render friends. LOL .. would rather see shadows than overly dressed avatars. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always with ALM. Even with my elderly GPU there are enough other features to toggle for performance gains before ALM becomes a factor. 

- Draw Distance

- Shadows

- and "Show Friends only" for events

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.