listening without tipping: yea or nay?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, WineOtter said:

How much of a faux pas is it to listen to DJs and not tip?

A big one, in my view. I feel you shouldn't go to a club or a concert if you cannot tip DJs, hosts, and musicians. The host has to pay the tier, the DJs and musicians give their time and talent. You can give a modest tip of only $50 but I think $250 is the minimum and $1000 advisable.

When I go to my local pub in real life (or rather when we used to before the pandemic), there was a cover charge of US $3.00 or $5.00. The musicians are paid some measly amount and get additional tips during their performance, none of which does more really than keep them in gasoline and pizza to start the same cycle over again. They struggle with t-shirts and CDs and trying to sell special access streams and VIP tickets and all the rest because Silicon Valley broke the copyright model for its own enrichment, harnessing the criminality of the masses. So in real life, $4 or $5 is not enough, nor the tips enough, and they struggle.

In SL, there is half or less than that typically. But US $4.00 is only 1,000 Lindens. How many people ever leave a tip of 1,000 Lindens? They leave perhaps 100 or 250. That's only US $1.00. Not even a latte. I think you should be willing to leave a US dollar for this experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Some might think if they can't afford to tip then they shouldn't go at all. This might be true but in most cases your attendance is also of benefit to the venue owner and the performer. So if you're attending an event where the place is packed and you can't afford to tip then yes, you are taking a space of someone who indeed does have the money to tip but can't get in, but if the event has few attending you're actually helping the event to look more successful by increasing the numbers of those in attendance. 

I always tip and tip generously when attending live music events. My bestie in SL runs a live music production company so I'm very familiar with the work involved in producing these events. I also know how much work goes into promoting the events and getting people to attend. So there is value in just having bodies there. If they can tip, and hopefully then can then great, but the simple numbers of attendees is also important.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, WineOtter said:

If I go to an event or a club, I go to listen so it would be wrong on my part to not tip.  If I stay, I'm listening.  If I left after three songs, it's not my cup of music or it's songs I've heard too many times.  I don't run my own music at an event or a club, so I tip, and I request and I tip again.   200-250 I consider the minimum for the DJ, the host and the venue get a tip from me also.   I keep a tipping budget and do not spend those lindens on stuff for my avatar.  It's never wrong to have a budget in rl or sl, imo.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

I have a good friend in SL who is a DJ ( real life as well as SL) and I know he loves tips but he is also just happy if people come and listen to the music. I think it is better to have people come and listen, rather than have an empty room, even if not everyone can tip. There are some venues in SL that are packed to the rafters but most aren't so the traffic will count for something too, getting a following for the DJ and the venue. People might TP in their friends, or they might tell their friends about it afterwards. Of course if you can tip, do so, but not everyone in SL has lindens. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Wine, if you're willing and able to tip, go right ahead - just don't break your bank. If you're willing but not able (been there quite often), don't sweat it.

This, coming from someone who used to DJ in SL.

Tips are nice if/when they happen. They won't always.

• Like 5

As soon as I get the feeling there is someone at work and has put a lot of effort in the music choice, I will tip if I'm hooked to stay for a longer period, no doubt about that.
If I hear a heartless effort, maybe a Spotify stream or so, then I might TP out pretty soon without tipping,

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

Tipping is voluntary. Whatever one's reasons not to tip are one's own prerogative. Whether it's because you don't care for the music, or because you don't have any L$ to spare, your reasons are your own and under no circumstances should you feel bad for not spending your L$ on something you don't think worthwhile. If you can and want to tip, great. If not, whatever.

Far from every person who shows up at any given set will tip. If you're afraid of people listening to your stream without paying you for it, don't work at a public venue.

• Like 15

Just my opinion…but I think if people stay away from clubs because they feel obliged to tip but are saving their money for tier or MP, the lost traffic will have a worse effect than a missed 50L or 100L would! And just because somebody doesn’t tip on one night, it doesn’t mean they never will…

If you’re a DJ, manager or host, you surely don’t expect everyone who comes in and out of the club during a 2-hour shift to tip anyway? Or you’ll be disappointed if you do!

Me and my friends would sometimes hop around 7-8 sims in one night. If I’d tipped staff at each one, I would have hit $0L fast :/

BUT…I do think it IS a faux pas to request songs from the DJ if you don’t intend to tip. Especially if the songs you want are a completely different genre to what they're playing 9_9

• Like 10

Myself, I don't think it's a faux pas.

I could be at a club for other reasons. like if I'm there because someone wanted to meet there and we're chatting away..It's a real good chance I'm not even paying attention to the music.

If I'm there to dance and have fun and enjoying the music, I'm gonna tip..  But if it's not my type of music,I probably won't be sticking around anyways..

Some people go to clubs because it's a specific club and some people look for specific things in a club..

It's kinda like shopping..I'm not paying all the content creators when I go on a shopping trip. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5

On 6/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, WineOtter said:

I'm assuming with this question, the OP was saying the person has lindens but is withholding for some reason.  However, imo, listening is not enough to warrant a tip.  If I am enjoying myself and it's what I call a "good party" or a "good show" I will tip.  A lot of mainstream music is not my thing, I've heard the hits enough that I prefer to listen to what are known as "deep tracks" which are great songs on an album but not necessarily the hit from the record. 

I think a better question would be is it okay to go to a club if you don't have lindens, to which I think the majority of SLer's will say, of course.  If you don't have lindens, you don't have lindens.  If you didn't like the music, you didn't like the music.  I'd say the answer to tipping is in each person's heart really and only they know their budget too which may not allow too many lindens, so just follow your heart about it and try to enjoy the music or the show without putting too much pressure on yourself.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

Just to add to the chorus - if you want to (and can afford it) its always very welcome. But there is no obligation.

With one caveat - if, oh as a totally random example (honest), at, say, Pride you don't feel like I deserve (seriously, its ok!)  then please feel free to empty your pockets in to the donation boxes - two great causes will benefit. And its still going on too.

• Like 1

I RARELY visit music places just because I feel obligated to tip.

Also a lot of DJs are just organizing a list of songs and playing with SAM broadcaster or (Insert broadcaster software here) which I can just do that myself and listen to whatever I want on Youtube. So I find music venues that have these type of DJs boring.

If there is a real DJ who is mixing their own stuff to create an experience then I would probably attend and feel ok with tipping.

For me I guess its the difference between "Radio DJ" type people who just organize popular songs and play them in the order they choose and a "Live DJ or Club DJ" who is actually mixing music. I don't mind tipping any DJ that isn't the norm "Radio DJ".

https://thedjpro.co/types-of-djs-2/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Is there someone somewhere keeping track whether you tip or not?

I once requested a song from a DJ. I got yelled at because 'only tipping customers may make requests'.

I'd tipped L$250 some 5 minutes prior, which was almost half of what they'd gotten all night.

u6oQTpZ.gif

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I once requested a song from a DJ. I got yelled at because 'only tipping customers may make requests'.

I'd tipped L$250 some 5 minutes prior, which was almost half of what they'd gotten all night.

Goodness. I wonder why they didn't make much money.

If they want to charge for requests, they should just be honest that it's not a tip, but a fee. (It's not a bad idea, actually.) The entire point of a tip is that you don't have to give it and don't get anything extra for it; it just shows your appreciation.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Malin Sabra said:

I RARELY visit music places just because I feel obligated to tip.

Also a lot of DJs are just organizing a list of songs and playing with SAM broadcaster or (Insert broadcaster software here) which I can just do that myself and listen to whatever I want on Youtube. So I find music venues that have these type of DJs boring.

If there is a real DJ who is mixing their own stuff to create an experience then I would probably attend and feel ok with tipping.

For me I guess its the difference between "Radio DJ" type people who just organize popular songs and play them in the order they choose and a "Live DJ or Club DJ" who is actually mixing music. I don't mind tipping any DJ that isn't the norm "Radio DJ".

https://thedjpro.co/types-of-djs-2/

When my man DJed at one club he would play mainly classic Rock and Blues which was their theme --- but since we have a very large music library he would dig into the vault for stuff rarely played in world or even on the radio. Also since we originally grew up in the Michigan area ages ago they stream was styled after a long gone radio station, Keener 13.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I normally have sound off and listen to my own music.  I go places for the people so I almost never tip.  Is there someone somewhere keeping track whether you tip or not?

That's happened to my man too, especially by the owner of the club when a song from an artist who did not support a certain former political leader.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I normally have sound off and listen to my own music.  I go places for the people so I almost never tip.  Is there someone somewhere keeping track whether you tip or not?

Must admit...have been to a couple of live sets just to see people, and was actually listening to The Cure on iTunes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.