Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fear will kill us before any illness ever should.

Practice social distancing, wash your hands thoroughly and often. Get lots of rest and look after your general health.

Covid-19 is potentially deadly but it doesn't have to be.

I have Spina Bifida so I am high risk. I'm not worried, but I am informed and doing everything I need to do to avoid this.

All the best to you and your nana. I hope you stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Nope. Not at all scared, if you are talking about Covid19. I’m not in an at risk category and even then to put it in perspective. It currently has an 89% recovery rate. For most people it will be a mild infection. Plus the younger you are the less you have to worry about it. I really wouldn’t worry too much. Just do the basics, wash hands, stay away from vulnerable relatives and play SL. Whatever you do, don’t let yourself get hyped up by the media or the “I have it worse than you” crowd. If you are in an at risk category then self isolation is your friend. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I know the news seems terrifying, Chilli (may I call you that?). There is tremendous uncertainty around the world right now, but still a lot we can do individually and collectively to care for ourselves and each other. Understand that the most dire predictions you're hearing are a mix of fear-mongering, necessary worst-case analysis to aid in disaster planning, or forceful proclamations to induce cooperation for the common good. Fear is a powerful motivator. But even when wielded for the best reasons, it's still fear.

I share some of your concern. My mother is 91 and suffers from several serious conditions that make her chances of surviving the infection low. Though she's only a mile away, visitors to her retirement center are highly discouraged. I video chat with her every day. I also make calls to several of my neighbors and my emergency backup son. Everyone is stressed, and talking helps. We're social creatures, even the introverts.

Hang in there, if you want to talk, there are plenty here to listen and share.

Hugs,
Maddy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I have a healthy amount of fear towards it, i have "underlying health problems" and a weak (immuno-surpressed) immune system if i do get it, it'll be on a worse level than someone whose fit and healthy. Right now the only Corona i'm interested in catching is a bottle of Corona larger with a wedge of lime stuffed in it

• Like 2

Not at all. I don't want to die, nor do I want my loved ones to die but worrying about it won't stop it from happening. Instead I stay informed and careful. Honestly, I'm finding a bright side to all of this. For years my inspiration to pursue an education to become a virologist has dwindled  despite my lifelong fascination with all things plague (bubonic being my favorite to read about, but I also enjoyed studying the septicemic and pneumonic variety) but now it's been kicked into high gear once more.

The world we knew is changing, but not really. These things have happened before modern man and will happen after. Best to say level-headed and accept that things, at the end of the day, are out of humanities control and enjoy the moment (without getting stupid - I'm looking at you, Spring Break party-goers!) 

However, I do take comfort in knowing, without a shred of a doubt humanity will survive this and come out the better for it, with hopefully stricter regulations, the possibly abolisment of wet markets, and more knowledge than we had before. 

Edited by luckyorb
misspelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m not especially scared.

I take precautions because we live an an era of “elevated risk”, but I’ve had practice doing that.

Mainly I’m hopeful that this event - unfortunate as it is - might nudge us a bit closer to getting our mutual act together.

The illusion that “things like that don’t happen here” has been pierced, so maybe that can lead toward a change in how we deal with Big Problems and also each other.

Because if we can’t, our odds in the evolutionary lottery only get worse.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c08bf8fd90abda76e7

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm not afraid of the virus. Heck, I am pretty sure I have it currently (hence why I am still awake at 5am; can't sleep because the bed feels like a furnace). It's not pleasant, but it's not as bad as flu. And I have a hunch that it's peaked tonight (about 36 hours after symptoms first appeared), so in another day or two I will probably be fine.

What I am afraid terrified of is the effect it's having on the economy and the financial knock-on effect to businesses and individuals. I don't know if the business I work for will go bust because of this. Or the business my partner works for. I'm afraid of food shortages lasting months or longer, and prices going up beyond what we can afford. 

I am also very afraid for everyone I know who lives in the US, because over there you have crazy people with guns.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

Get lots of rest and look after your general health.

perhaps don't write very common home and garden wisdom, or explain what you mean, as you write it now i'm not sure to explode or agree...

Covid-19 is potentially deadly but it doesn't have to be.

doesn't have to be? ..sorry but how can you say that? At the moment more than a thousend people die every day in europe alone.

• Like 1

Yes, but the scenes of fights and abuse in supermarkets frighten me even more. I'm especially upset that so many people can't find formula milk. If I were still breastfeeding I'd be pumping night and day to help out, I had loads of the stuff. Or maybe that wouldn't work with infection control, I don't know.

I've also never wanted to reach through the screen and lamp so many people on Facebook. Why have they still been going out to pubs and hair appointments all week?

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 4

I am, but I have every reason to be, and I think it would be extremely abnormal, problematic and likely damaging if I wasn't.  Just as I think the overall lack of fear in far too many is precisely that (and also what has lead to this weird ass hoarding mentality we're now seeing, but...'nother novel, 'nother day)

I have almost no immune system at all, I'm not just compromised....there's just nothing there(nothing detectable, which is as close to nothing as it gets). Something as simple as the common cold can, very easily, kill me. In fact, a bit over a year ago, exactly that almost happened (cold turned pneumonia, developed flu on top, oddly unrelated to the prior two...all combined caused almost lethal sepsis in a matter of less than a week).  Now every single time I get sick, or even close to feeling sick, I get scared.

But, scared isn't a bad thing, and people who say "don't worry about it", "no need to be terrified", "what does worrying do" and all other sorts of nonsense can stuff that crap right on up their tailpipes. Some of us very well ought to worry, ought to be scared. and ought to use that fear to fuel our current and future actions....and interactions with others. I'm more than sick and tired of seeing people claim how "not deadly" this virus is, or how many people will overcome it and get through it, or how for many it won't be severe. Cheers for those people that fall into those categories....how about they be grateful for those facts of their lives, while being a bit more sympathetic and empathetic for the rest of us peons who aren't so gosh darn lucky.

Our fear is what helps those of us more vulnerable take better precautions and avoid those who clearly aren't willing to even take the most basic of precautions on a good, normal, day. The lack of fear is what causes so many more to not bother caring unless or until they have to. Y'all are slowly killing us as it is by not properly watching after your germs on a regular basis, this virus just happens to be one more nail in our not yet filled coffins that's covering an awful lot of territory. Bugger off with that cheery disposition, the don't worries, the fear nots, the you're overreactings and whatever other faux good feelies you think you're spreading with that rubbish......and let those of us who need and want to be scared do so. Sometimes it's nice to acknowledge that others aren't like you, and that it's perfectly okay to have fears you don't have 😉 

Have I mentioned I'm also currently sick (thankfully not with this virus, or I'd not be typing here right this moment, for certain, but sick all the same) and not at all up to listening to rainbows and sunshine.

All yous, y'alls and whatnot...are non-specific...unless it applies to you, and if it does...do better, because the odds right now are pretty damn good that someone reading your words is either not going to make it, or will lose a loved one, and it will likely be directly related to someone having not cared enough to take/perform the most basic of precautions and personal hygiene acts when this all started.....someone who probably says "eh, it's not that bad" 😉 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

the odds right now are pretty damn good that someone reading your words is either not going to make it, or will lose a loved one, and it will likely be directly related to someone having not cared enough to take/perform the most basic of precautions and personal hygiene acts when this all started.....someone who probably says "eh, it's not that bad" 😉 

^ cause it can't be said often enough. We're all in this together. Act for the good of those who are most at risk, not just yourself.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

If you are in an at risk category then self isolation is your friend. 

As hard as it is, and I know that reality better than most, isolation is everyone's friend right now. The more we slow the spread, the less the health services are overwhelmed and more people, at risk or otherwise healthy, will survive. We absolutely have to think in terms of the good of everyone.

There is strength and mental health in understanding this and acting accordingly. The purpose of our lives right now is to get each other through.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

At this moment i am more scared of being run over by a bog roll horder if I go out for milk or that I will be an able educator for my son for the next few months or that I will get a full refund on the first holiday abroad in 10 years I will have to cancel.  

I am in a high risk group but I worry more about my nursing staff friends who are completely exhausted right now.  People have to be sensible and not selfish.  Now my son is home with me I feel calmer.  We are washing our hands.  The only people we are coming into contact with are delivery people and they too are taking precautions. (I have allowed them to do the finger squiggle on their devices for me and might have signed my house away for all I know)  It's my nieces 21st today and we have had to cancel all the celebrations for her but we are going to have one hell of a party when this thing is done. 

Someone shared a link to me of a "worldometer"  which gives a real time count of various things.  More people die in one day of a treatable thing called hunger than so far of this disease.  I am not trying to play down this thing down but looking at that site calmed a lot of the worries I had.  

To the OP,  its good to let out your fears here on a forum where you can feel safe.  Sometimes just saying it/typing it can help you feel a bit better.  The best thing you can do for your nana is keep your distance, leave her stuff at the door if she doesn't live with you but also find a way to keep in contact in a cheery way safely so she doesn't feel as scared.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

As CH Spurgeon said of the Cholera epidemic in 1890's:  "Sudden Death is Sudden Glory".

We are all going to die.  It's just a matter of when, and how.  I don't mind dying, I'd like to not hurt anyone else on my way.  So I am Social Distancing.

SL is a fun thing to do while waiting for the future to be now.

• Like 3

Not scared for myself but I take care of my parents (both 87) and I'm scared to pick up the virus and contaminate them. I still do their grocery runs but keep contact to a minimum. Also my son is an engineer on one of the cruiseships that are still about, trying to get passengers home. No virus on their ship but it's uncertain where they can go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'll be honest with myself and say yes. I'm afraid of not only dying, my loved ones dying, but of the effects this will have on the world economically and politically. Even if I'm not personally touched my the virus I have no doubt the world is changing for all of us as I type. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am not afraid for me personal or my hubby or our kids. We have it/has had it. I am now on day 8 with fever on/off. The first 3-4 days of fever was not nice. Now I feel well enough, but I can't go out grocery shopping. I had no fever yesterday afternoon, now the fever is back. My husband has a fever too. I am of course very grateful that we have someone to shop for us, but it isn't the same. I have to carefully think what to buy, so they don't get a long list. They are not shopping just for our family. So that is not fear, but I am annoyed because:

I don't like this blasted uncertainty. Are we really infected? No one knows, because only very, very few can be tested. Not even firefighters get tested in my country now. So I have to act like I am infected. No one can tell me "You are well and it is no risk of you infecting others". No one knows, it is just general advice of "no fever, no respiratory problems in 48 hours".

Protective masks and gloves is running out for the hospitals, and it isn't possible to buy more, because all other countries need all they can produce.

Bloody serious what happens to the national economy and the world economy. We have oil and an oil fund, but  the oil price is plummeting, it is tearing away, already lost EUR 111 billion, air companies, restaurants, hotels, schools, everything closes its doors and people do not work, but still need money.

We can not just say that the State will pay us money for ever, because the state IS us, our tax money. And fewer people at work = less and less money comes in.

Yes, what happens with the economy scares me.

On a closer and personal level, we have isolated out oldest family members. One has COPD and the other heart disease. They are not technical enough to use Skype or pay their bills online. And they can't get help of a real person that comes indoors and sit by the computer with them, because anyone can infect them without knowing it. ***** this virus.

Edited by Marianne Little
added more info
  • Sad 11

I am only afraid of total and absolute human stupidity.
Today "Bondi Beach", (which I've never been to despite living just outside of Sydney), was packed with people.
And I do mean packed/hundreds upon hundreds of them.

One can only surmise that the "virus cannot survive heat" rumour?/fact? has become more important than toilet paper 🤪 all of a sudden.
Certainly there's nothing quite like a thorough surf tumble cleaning cycle 😄
You got to love glistening skin & l0.0kin like a bleached wild thang too lol.

But... what price are they paying? 😷🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.