Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At this point the bottleneck is not test kits per se, but the labs to process the samples.  The big guns, Labcorp et al, are just now coming on line.  (And that delay, along with all the other bureaucratic bottlenecks, is criminal negligence in my book).  But we should soon have a greatly expanded testing ability.

As for the cost, well...Congress is about to pass a one, two, or four trillion dollar bill (depending on which article you're reading) to "fight the coronavirus".  I'd rather see the money going to expanded testing and medical supplies than cash gifts to individuals and companies...much as those, too, may be needed.

• Like 1

My supervisor texted me and said a coworker of mine tested positive for COVID-19. My place of employment is determining who this person had contact with and will let those people know soon. Hopefully I wasn't one of them. It's been 6 days since they were in the office and I feel fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

As for the cost, well...Congress is about to pass a one, two, or four trillion dollar bill (depending on which article you're reading) to "fight the coronavirus".  I'd rather see the money going to expanded testing and medical supplies than cash gifts to individuals and companies...much as those, too, may be needed.

I could use one of those checks myself since the IRS hasn't sent my PIN yet so I can't file my tax returns and I haven't been able to work in over a year now. 

*sigh* Stop the merry-go-round. I want off before it's too late.

3dy4d8e94m801.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, and no at the same time. I really bounce between having faith and being scared out of my mind. My mind has gone over every possibility that I can think of, or have heard of off TV and at times I find comfort in just knowing this will end, while at other times I feel dread of not knowing when or how it will end. I'm trying not to fret too much when I get in my worrying spell, it won't change anything anyway. 

Please try to stay safe everyone! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, LittleMzChilliHead said:

I am terrified 😨 I don't want to die, or my nana 😭

Too down to go on SL...

Could I urge all of you that are still in relatively safe conditions, with food, running water and Internet, and your main concern a slow run of Netflix or Balducci's taking more than an hour to deliver or your Amazon groceries a day late:  you do not have the luxury to be scared, do not be scared, and focus on doing every single thing in your power to help first yourself to survive (first rule of rescue work is never become a case yourself), then your immediate family and neighbours with as much groundedness in real life and bricks and mortar as you can muster while sheltering in place and practicing social distancing and clean hands (please disinfect glasses and doornobs too).

I'm at Ground Zero for the virus, across from hospital row in New York City. We have the most cases in the country. It's very bad here, and the newspapers do not even know the worst of it yet.

I've already been in quarantine for 14 days now as I'm immune-compromised. My medicines began to run out and basic staples. I can't go to the store, which were emptying even 2 weeks ago. NOTHING I have ordered on line has arrived, whether from 14 days ago; 7 days ago; let alone 4 days ago. Not "overnight prime Amazon"; not "overnight" FEDEX. Local store deliveries take a minimum of *three days*; local pharmacies are NOT delivering, full stop.

My daughter has been working in a hospital without masks because they've run out. She's screening frightened cancer patients and their relatives for the virus. Her co-workers are sick. It has breached the hospital walls as you may have read. She was able to get a few masks from her boyfriend's job. After worker protests, her hospital is now issuing more masks -- but they have to be reused. Surgeons, doctors, are reusing all protective items. So my goal, and yours too, should be NOT to end up in the hospital. Don't fall in your house; don't party at bars and get infected and infect others; stay home. If your symptoms are mild, stay home and don't overwhelm the system. There are no tests instantly on demand at this worst place in the country; they are *rationed*. They are rationed even for medical personnel.

My son and his wife were helping me, but they can't now. They stopped being able to smell or taste food the last few days, which they found hugely weird, although they only feel a little tired. Unfortunately this weird loss of smell and taste is a classic and well documented feature of this virus -- Google it.  They've watched as their local business and others have shuttered overnight, leaving open the question how any of them will buy food, even if rent can be postponed. The Costcos near them in NJ was empty last week.

My church is overwhelmed with taking care of sick and elderly; my tenants' committee is overwhelmed. Thank God a college kid from a synagogue who started "Invisible Hands" was able send over somebody to first go to my doorman, then my mailbox, searching for a FEDEX of vital meds that never came; then wait in line at the pharmacy to finally get me 30 days. They won't issue 90 days which everyone thinks they will as they advertise it. Not without a doctor's permission. Good luck getting your doctor on the phone or through apps now.

I am not scared. I am not panicked. I've been in quarantines before; I've been in disasters before, like Hurricane Sandy. It's bad, but FDR had it right when he said the only thing to fear is fear itself. I'm going to keep doing my RL jobs, which fortunately I still have; keep helping my family, and keep open my little SL business.

What I do want to stress -- and nobody wants to hear it because while they can accept the dire situation of the virus, they don't want to hear that their salvation from that -- the Internet -- is going to slow down, get really slow or non-operative, and stop. So plan accordingly.

Do not rely on Amazon or FEDEX for medicines, pet food, groceries. Start figuring out what real-life organizations, institutions, people, individuals can help with this -- and be one of those people yourself to help. That's how we will pull through.

Linden Lab is in a shelter-in-place city. Ebbe didn't explain how he is dealing with that and whether his workers can come into the office or whether anyone will consider they are "media" or "education" and "mission critical" (likely not) and let them physically keep their doors open. Thank God the Lindens developed the MoonLab, and all of the wonderfulness of SL, but SL is tied to RL. Except people to disappear, as they did with the Japan earthquake, Sandy, etc. Only way worse. Except people not to be able to log on and do things for you that you take for granted. Try to be helpful instead of whining then.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, Pamela Galli said:

Scylla is right. The “President” lied about medicine, vaccines, hospital ships, Availabilty of tests and masks and ventilators, and pretty much everything else. 

In the United States, the states are responsible for health, education and welfare, not the federal government, except at a higher level of aid to states that are less well off.

So do start ignoring Trump; sparring with Trump; expecting a bailout from Trump. I'm very glad that Cuomo, who I voted for but am not thrilled with (his stance on abortion and his corruption) is exercising real leadership and taking drastic measures that need to be taken. DeBlasio should be removed or ignored the way Trump should be. The NJ governor is also doing pretty well with this. Local leaders are what you need to look to and encourage now. The endless blathering about what Trump did or didn't do now is so irrelevant that I have no words. What's relevant is whether a local leader can commandeer hotels to provide hospital beds and enforce shelter in place while keeping free media open.

• Like 2

I couldn't believe what went on at work last night..I was and am still furious..

The first thing they did when we went in last night was call a safety meeting and for everyone to meet in the break room..

It didn't dawn on anyone until a few of us started to say, You're not supposed to have more than ten people in a room.. They had everyone in the plant in the break room..

I stood over by the door by myself with it open breathing outside air.. a lot of people acted like there was nothing going on, but you could tell who was worried about it..

it sure wasn't the plant manager and one of the supervisors..

Then I see the same thing as if it's a normal day..people trying to get up close to me and talk..I just held my hand up and said you need to say what you have to say from there..I can hear you..

I've lost all hope of this thing getting handled any time soon..

maybe when they have it or their family members have it,they'll take it serious..

I feel like quitting my damn job right now after seeing such carelessness for the employees..I am so furious right now..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Sad 12

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I couldn't believe what went on at work last night..I was and am still furious..

The first thing they did when we went in last night was call a safety meeting and for everyone to meet in the break room..

It didn't dawn on anyone until a few of us started to say, You're not supposed to have more than ten people in a room.. They had everyone in the plant in the break room..

I stood over by the door by myself with it open breathing outside air.. a lot of people acted like there was nothing going on, but you could tell who was worried about it..

it sure wasn't the plant manager and one of the supervisors..

They I see the same thing..people trying to get up close to me and talk..I just held my hand up and said you need to say what you have to say from there..I can hear you..

I've lost all hope of this thing getting handled any time soon..

maybe when they have it or their family members have it,they'll take it serious..

I feel like quitting my damn job right now after seeing such carelessness for the employees..I am so furious right now..

I am furious just hearing about it, Ceka. How callous!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

I am furious just hearing about it, Ceka. How callous!

I felt like they acted like those kids in Florida on spring break. This is the number one thing that they say can help stop it and the first act they do when we get back is throw everyone in  together packed like rats in a whiskey barrel..

All these notices we've been getting at work over the past few weeks about how the company is looking out for it's employees.. I feel like I just got back from the 1940's or something..

I'm livid as it gets.. because all it takes is one person to have it and we'll all have it now..

If that happens I'm telling my husband and and he's gonna go kick that managers ass.

I probably won't,but I sure feel mad enough at him right now that I sure feel like it..

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I felt like they acted like those kids in Florida on spring break. This is the number one thing that they say can help stop it and the first act they do when we get back is throw everyone in  together packed like rats in a whiskey barrel..

All these notices we've been getting at work over the past few weeks about how the company is looking out for it's employees.. I feel like I just got back from the 1940's or something..

I'm livid as it gets.. because all it takes is one person to have it and we'll all have it now..

If that happens I'm telling my husband and and he's gonna go kick that managers ass.

I probably won't,but I sure feel mad enough at him right now that I sure feel like it..

Sometimes it's necessary to go over the plant manager's head to their boss or someone higher. I doubt the plant manager bothered to let his superiors know he deliberately endangered lives.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Sometimes it's necessary to go over the plant manager's head to their boss or someone higher. I doubt the plant manager bothered to let his superiors know he deliberately endangered lives.

After calming down, I honestly believe he didn't realize  how many people were going to be there.. Usually there are way less at those Sunday night meetings, because many call out.. But the past week they put up a notice on the door that if you called out sick to stay at home..Mainly because they were not risking them having symptoms.

So everyone showed up, especially with everything else around us shutting down..

So I don't know.. I just know it freaked me out and made me really mad.. I should have just talked to him about it , but just couldn't last night..

• Like 4

On 3/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, FairreLilette said:

This is the current from The World Health Organization:

Sorry, stopped listening to the WHO after they:

1. Refused to call the virus a pandemic for 1 1/2 months despite its clear pandemic spread across Europe
  2. Allowed China to redefine who officially is counted as infected 3 times
  3. Allowed china to not count asymptomatic people (i.e. virus carriers) as part of the official infected count. Just to expand on this, through documents it has come to light that China had 40k asymptomatic people that were not counted as part of the 'official' infected rate meaning that their 80k infected is actually over 120k. All this due to point 2 above (them redefining who isn't infected to fudge the numbers).
  4. Due to WHO's ignorance of the above it has meant governments were continuing their strategies on flawed data whereby the WHO was declaring a 3% asymptomatic infection rate as opposed to the now believed ~36% asymptomatic infection rate.
  5. Dilly dallied on providing decent and accurate information to the world governments so they can prepare better.
  6. And probably more I have forgotten

Now, despite for weeks prior stating locking down a country like China did is the only way and used China as evidence of this they are saying that isn't good. Hence we have governments using this method due to previous WHO advise and in the process destroying economies to do it. To top it all off they are saying lockdowns are, per your post, not a good idea unless those with the virus are not isolated?

Well unless I'm wrong, forcing people not to move about not only helps pinpoint cases but also isolates those cases to not only the cases themselves but also people they have had the most contact with. This contains the infected to a specified zone whereby measures can be put in place to properly help them as well as disinfect the zone they were in. That is to say, per their wording, allowing the "putting in place strong public health measures" so that when the lockdown is lifted the virus doesn't spread.

The mind boggles how the UN and its numerous associations are still around after having absolutely no power, doing nothing for mankind or the environment and providing no educated responses to crises, apart from a few hand spankings every now and then to a few countries with a floppy ruler.

Fact of the matter is WHO have been the ones driving all of the government responses to this virus and so far everything they have said has been incorrect it seems and only contributed to the panic.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

To top it all off they are saying lockdowns are, per your post, not a good idea unless those with the virus are not isolated?

This is the quote from my post below, copy and paste.  Yes, it does read a little oddly.  But, it is saying lock-down won't work without isolation too. 

"Reports are coming out now that "lock-down" is not an answer 'if' those with coronavirus are not isolated." 

IOW, it could work with isolating the coronavirus patients plus the lock-down (the shelter in home).  The only way to do that though is to have hospital workers live in the hospital.  I'd think the hospital workers themselves would need quarantine too until there is a vaccine but I doubt that would happen though.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

This is the quote from my post below, copy and paste.  Yes, it does read a little oddly.  But, it is saying lock-down won't work without isolation too. 

"Reports are coming out now that "lock-down" is not an answer 'if' those with coronavirus are not isolated." 

IOW, it could work with isolating the coronavirus patients plus the lock-down (the shelter in home).  The only way to do that though is to have hospital workers live in the hospital.  I'd think the hospital workers themselves would need quarantine too until there is a vaccine but I doubt that would happen though.  

But that's my point though. Any form of lockdown that has been instigated by governments means just that. All persons isolate themselves (infected or not) within their own house and don't move about. That is what a lock down is. That's why the WHO announcement is just ridiculous as isolating non-infected AND infected is part of the lockdown. Infected people don't need to be at a hospital to be isolated unless their case is severe. (If a person has COVID-19 and doesn't realise it before symptoms show then there is a 90% chance those in the house also have it).

In some countries such as USA and Australia, other than the select few states no true lock down has been ordered. Closing borders or self isolation if infected is not a lock down. What Italy and many other EU countries have down however is a lock down whereby ALL movement is restricted and EVERYONE isolates in their own home - or if severe a hospital.

Any suggestion by the WHO or other governments for emergency services to lock down is ridiculous and would just never happen as that would put even more lives at risk etc. In addition they have preventative measures in place to help contain transmission (i.e. masks etc).

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:18 AM, fernclariel said:

Yes, and no at the same time. I really bounce between having faith and being scared out of my mind. My mind has gone over every possibility that I can think of, or have heard of off TV and at times I find comfort in just knowing this will end, while at other times I feel dread of not knowing when or how it will end. I'm trying not to fret too much when I get in my worrying spell, it won't change anything anyway. 

Please try to stay safe everyone! 

Sums up exactly how I'm feeling.

Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick has a solution...
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/03/24/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-spurns-shelter-in-place-urges-return-to-work-says-grandparents-should-sacrifice/

Wisconsin's Ron Johnson and Donald Trump are thinking along the same lines. Their tradeoff is curious though, grandparents for grandkid's futures, as if there's no alternative. We don't yet know how it'll all shake out in China, but they might have preserved both. Does Patrick think we're not great enough to do that?

And here's a smart fella, Michael Levitt, who thinks we're gonna be fine... https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-prediction-nobel-laureate-michael-levitt-says-spread-slowing-emphasizes-2944720. I sure would like to hear more about his reasoning.

Levitt might be right. Italy now has two days of declining new cases (793 Sat, 651 yesterday, 601 today). If he is right, then Patrick, Johnson and Trump don't seem quite as callous.

Here's CDC's Flu Burden Estimate for the 2019-2020 season... https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

And finally, let's hope we don't have to deal with an outbreak of this!... https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/arizona-coronavirus-chloroquine-death/index.html

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

Any suggestion by the WHO or other governments for emergency services to lock down is ridiculous and would just never happen as that would put even more lives at risk etc. In addition they have preventative measures in place to help contain transmission (i.e. masks etc).

Unfortunately, the hospitals in America are in a PPE shortage.  Plus, surgical masks are not appropriate PPE and that's what many nurses and doctors have been forced to used because of a shortage, sub-standard and/or even "dirty" masks.  It's on the internet but what is truth and what is not truth in every hospital who is to know?   

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

That's why the WHO announcement is just ridiculous as isolating non-infected AND infected is part of the lockdown. Infected people don't need to be at a hospital to be isolated unless their case is severe. (If a person has COVID-19 and doesn't realise it before symptoms show then there is a 90% chance those in the house also have it).

As far as a lock-down...it depends what country you come from.  America and other countries only have partial lock-down.  People can go to the store, the bank, the laundromat plus a few other essentials; otherwise, it's lock down and stay in your home.  How safe are those groceries stores?  How safe am I if I go to the store and touch a bread for example.  How many other people have touched that one bread?  And, so on and so forth with just about every item in the world.  

And, how do you know all the medical personnel have 100% not been infected?  Have they all been tested?  Do they go to the grocery store before me after they've treated a coronavirus patient?  

And, my building seems free of coronavirus at about 9 days or so of isolation with no one having any symptoms.  Why would we want an infected person to lock-down here with non-infected people?  That's the last thing we'd want.  

At nine days of isolation, since it takes about five days for incubation, if people in my building had coronavirus, it would have already shown, wouldn't it?  No one here is symptomatic of anything other than their already existing diseases such as diabetes, etc.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 7:55 PM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Nope. Not at all scared, if you are talking about Covid19. I’m not in an at risk category and even then to put it in perspective. It currently has an 89% recovery rate. For most people it will be a mild infection. Plus the younger you are the less you have to worry about it. I really wouldn’t worry too much. Just do the basics, wash hands, stay away from vulnerable relatives and play SL. Whatever you do, don’t let yourself get hyped up by the media or the “I have it worse than you” crowd. If you are in an at risk category then self isolation is your friend. 

My husband is 50 and had no health issues, but he was very sick at home for 12 days (after being seen on day 2 with all the symptoms except shortness of breath)and just being sent home and told to come back if he starts having chest pain or trouble breathing,and they’ll X-ray his chest the high fever, cough, fatigue and pain that he was having wasn’t enough to get him tested or treated mainly because we wasn’t considered at risk, well yesterday morning they admitted him with pneumonia and put him on oxygen.

They have finally tested him for covid but results can take 12 days, but they won’t keep him there that long, they said they plan to decrease the amount of oxygen he needs now and send him home for me to take care of (with no protective items), and without getting the results back, or even if he is positive they need beds for the most critical patients, he hasn’t lost his job yet but without a pay check coming in will most likely lose his insurance next week as the large premiums are taken out of his small check.  So this is about way more than the old and week, majority of hospitalizations in many areas are young healthy men 20 to 49 I think. If it can lay down a young medal winning swimmer imagine what it can do on the “normal” people who aren’t so physically fit.   Sorry didn’t mean to write so much, just frustrated and missing my husband, haven’t seen him at all since Saturday morning, and haven’t been able to hug or touch him since he first got sick 14 days ago.

And my computer is in his quarantined area - what used to be my work and computer play area so I can’t go in world right now (to try to keep my mind off of things)and I so wish I could.

Rant off & apologies to those who didn’t want to read an essay

Edited by Charcoal Kidd
Fixed a sentence structure.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Scared? No. Cautious, yes. Regardless I am completely taking this seriously as should everyone. I firmly believe everyone should do their part and call off all non-essential travel, not only for your sake but for those close to you. No one should let their ego get in the way of doing their part to keep the people of their country safe. Just stay at home. We'll get through this. Don't be scared, just stay safe! 💖

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.