Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Scared? No. Aware that there is a new risk out there, sure. However, that awareness is coupled with the knowledge of how to mitigate the risk. I'm taking those actions, as are all of my family and most of my friends. There's no excuse for not knowing what are the appropriate actions to take so everybody else should be doing likewise. I'm aware that quite a few of 'em aint but I have no right to force them to change their behavior and I'd be breaking the "social distancing" rules if I were to go pound some sense into their heads anyway....

What I can do, I'm doing. As a result I can be confident that if I get it, it won't be due to me being daft and if any of my family or friends catch it, it won't be from me.

And if, after all that, I do still get it? Well, Sic volvere parcas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Not for me (indestructible R us). Still find this helps, hippyish as it may be.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain

(Herbert/Dune/1965/almost as old as I am)

• Like 2

Somewhat yes.  I do not want to be kept in a cage for an extended period of time.  Currently the front door to my building is locked.  People cannot go out; people cannot come in except those in masks, gloves and whatever else is considered protective gear.  Food from family can be left outside the front entrance of the building but there is no guarantee we will even get the package from family as there is no security guard there so someone could steal our package from our family.

There is no one with coronavirus in my building nor do I personally know anyone with the virus and yet we are locked in here.  

I come from a people where genocide was committed against.  So, scared yes, a little because my Mother had to be locked inside a building and watch her family die.  My Mother and two of her sisters were the only survivors of that particular building.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Sad 5

49 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Somewhat yes.  I do not want to be kept in a cage for an extended period of time.  Currently the front door to my building is locked.  People cannot go out; people cannot come in except those in masks, gloves and whatever else is considered protective gear.  Food from family can be left outside the front entrance of the building but there is no guarantee we will even get the package from family as there is no security guard there so someone could steal our package from our family.

There is no one with coronavirus in my building nor do I personally know anyone with the virus and yet we are locked in here.  

I come from a people where genocide was committed against.  So, scared yes, a little because my Mother had to be locked inside a building and watch her family die.  My Mother and two of her sisters were the only survivors of that particular building.

That sounds absolutely horrific. I'm sending you all the virtual hugs that I can (for all the good they'll do - ah!). And I hope that you are allowed to get out of that building soon. I don't know what else to say, but it seems trite to just hit an icon at the bottom of a post (especially a "like" icon). 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Arquet said:

That sounds absolutely horrific. I'm sending you all the virtual hugs that I can (for all the good they'll do - ah!). And I hope that you are allowed to get out of that building soon. I don't know what else to say, but it seems trite to just hit an icon at the bottom of a post (especially a "like" icon). 

It is horrific.  Any genocide is horrific.   

With all the modern technology of today; however, I think this virus can be beat quicker than days that went before us.  The anti-malaria drug is showing great results since of a just a few days ago.  After six days of treatment, people are then testing negative.  So, it's the anti-malaria drug plus an antibiotic (I forgot which one) that seems to be working as a treatment and it's making people completely negative and free of the virus.   

And, thank you for the virtual hugs.  

Being locked in here is a different and difficult ordeal for those of us with claustrophobia...but yet we are greatful we are safe at present.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

What I am afraid terrified of is the effect it's having on the economy and the financial knock-on effect to businesses and individuals.

This is probably what worries me the most right now.  There is no way we all come out of this without global wide economic problems.  The US is already passing bills to hand out all sort of money to individual and businesses that need it. While I know that we need to do that, I also know that it is just adding more and more to our national debt.  It's not like we have another trillion or so just lying around waiting for someone to come up with ways of spending it.

1 hour ago, Dano Seale said:
2 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

Not even a little bit. 

"As someone already voluntarily self isolating with an overnight job babysitting an empty building,...."

Yes you are!  😐

Truthfully, self isolating does not automatically imply fear.  It is a recognition of what is practical and necessary, so that one does not contribute to the problem.  Or a recognition that there are a lot of stupid people out there not taking valid precautions and not wanting to come in contact with them.  Being cautious and being fearful are not necessarily the same thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

perhaps don't write very common home and garden wisdom, or explain what you mean, as you write it now i'm not sure to explode or agree...

doesn't have to be? ..sorry but how can you say that? At the moment more than a thousend people die every day in europe alone.

That "home and garden wisom" has been known to reduce your risk of death. Your overall health impacts your ability to fight infection.

Doesn't have to be = it is not a death sentence. You might die, you might not. We will all die eventualy, sure, but that doesn't mean we are completely helpless in these situations. Even those with high risk can survive this, despite the lower odds.

More than 150,000 people a day die for a variety of reasons. But that doesn't leave us completely powerless.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Where are you Faire?

33 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It is horrific.  Any genocide is horrific.   

With all the modern technology of today; however, I think this virus can be beat quicker than days that went before us.  The anti-malaria drug is showing great results since of a just a few days ago.  After six days of treatment, people are then testing negative.  So, it's the anti-malaria drug plus an antibiotic (I forgot which one) that seems to be working as a treatment and it's making people completely negative and free of the virus.   

And, thank you for the virtual hugs.  

Being locked in here is a different and difficult ordeal for those of us with claustrophobia...but yet we are greatful we are safe at present.  

oh, I didn't know the anti malaria drug trials were so much ahead. That is most excellent news!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Where are you Faire?

Greater Los Angeles area known as L.A. County.  

I hear reports all of California is currently on mandatory lock-down.  For how long, I do not know.

It just occurred to me that perhaps the lock-down is because even if there is/were a medicine, there would not be enough medicine.  The medicine that there is now has been approved to treat those with coronavirus and is showing tremendous results.

The medicines turning positive patients into negative patients are the anti-malaria drug and a specific antibiotic. 

The lock-down is then the best option because there isn't enough medicine currently for all of us.  Do you know what I mean?  It would take a while to make more. 

Production of the anti-malarial drug has already been stepped up to a greatest priority. 

Dealing with claustrophobia is another issue for some of us.   I have claustrophobia and I know now another resident here who does.  He nearly lost it yesterday.  I know the feeling.  

But, I'm grateful to hear there is a treatment happening now.  

• Like 2

I hope with all my heart they let you out soon. I understand the reasons behind the various forms of lockdown/ confinement/ isolation... but the toll on metal health is only going to grow the more this goes on. Well, at least we know it will end eventually, but still... (Can you rig a fire escape? Kidding...)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The medicine that there is now has been approved to treat those with coronavirus and is showing tremendous results.

I really hate to undermine your optimism about chloroquine, but it has not been approved by the US FDA for the treatment of Covid-19 yet. And while it shows some promise, as I understand it, in ameliorating fever and inflamation in patients infected with the virus, there have been no clinical trials, nor is there any actual scientific evidence that it is going to be an effective drug.

I'm hopeful that it will prove to be another tool in the medical toolkit to treat this virus, but it is not in widespread use (except in Africa, apparently, where self-administering of the drug has led to numerous cases of chloroquine poisoning), and it is not a cure or a miracle drug.

It is absolutely certainly no reason to no longer fear infection, or slacken one's practice of social distancing and/or self-isolation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Protective masks and gloves is running out for the hospitals, and it isn't possible to buy more, because all other countries need all they can produce.

This is happening in UK hospitals too i took my mum to an outpatient appointment a few days ago and none of the doctors and nurses had gloves, masks, disposable aprons or disinfectant to clean their machines, all they could do is give each person they saw one piece of tissue to use as a barrier

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I am much more afraid of people doing stupid things than I am over a virus.  That hasn't changed due to recent events, either. 

I completely agree.  I am more afraid of people's fears and panic and the media is just feeding it.  Like SARS and bird flu and every other virus this too will pass quickly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Greater Los Angeles area known as L.A. County.  

I hear reports all of California is currently on mandatory lock-down.  For how long, I do not know.

It just occurred to me that perhaps the lock-down is because even if there is/were a medicine, there would not be enough medicine.  The medicine that there is now has been approved to treat those with coronavirus and is showing tremendous results.

The medicines turning positive patients into negative patients are the anti-malaria drug and a specific antibiotic. 

The lock-down is then the best option because there isn't enough medicine currently for all of us.  Do you know what I mean?  It would take a while to make more. 

Production of the anti-malarial drug has already been stepped up to a greatest priority. 

Dealing with claustrophobia is another issue for some of us.   I have claustrophobia and I know now another resident here who does.  He nearly lost it yesterday.  I know the feeling.  

But, I'm grateful to hear there is a treatment happening now.  

Scylla is right. The “President” lied about medicine, vaccines, hospital ships, Availabilty of tests and masks and ventilators, and pretty much everything else. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Targyn said:

Like SARS and bird flu and every other virus this too will pass quickly.

Citation, please?

Pretty much the entire scientific and medical community worldwide is of a different opinion. And the spread and impact of Covid-19 is already vastly worse than SARS was. SARS killed under a 1000 people globally (only 17 countries were affected); Covid-19, which is (thank god) less lethal but vastly more contagious, has, to date, killed 12,000 people, and is nowhere near peaking yet.

You are right, always, to be sceptical about the media: that's just critical thinking. But you might want to listen to the medical community? They probably know a thing or two.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Scylla is right. The “President” lied about medicine,

First, remember, we all get our information differently.  I do not have a TV...the internet has pro and con written endlessly about everything.  Some is media hype.  I know that.  Others know that.  I'm very blase about internet articles in general.    

As far as the President "lying" about the anti-malarial drug...I believe he was confused as it was happening very quickly.  The FDA has not approved the drug for coronavirus treatment.  I think the President was confused and meant to say that the anti-malaria drug already is FDA approved as a drug itself.  

Yet, I should have also stated...I am sure other medicines are being tried but information on that is not available at present.  

We don't have time for drug trials at this time, however, as Scylla suggested and I know the BBC article from which she got her above information from as I just read the BBC article too.  Although I am sure medicines/treatments are going through a kind of "drug trial" as best as possible.

What I was trying to say is we need to do every thing in our power to stay well as there wouldn't might not be enough medicine of any particular kind no matter what it is being tried and used.   

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as the President "lying" about the anti-malarial drug...I believe he was confused as it was happening very quickly.

Trump is President of the United States. While his intellectual curiosity might be zero, he's got staff to educate him. At yesterday's press conference, he said things that were immediately contradicted by Dr. Fauci. White House staff could have easily cross checked both men's talking points before going on air and they may well have tried. The fact that it took Trump mere minutes to swerve into nonsense tells you something is terribly wrong in the chain of command. The very first link is broken.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Trump is President of the United States. While his intellectual curiosity might be zero, he's got staff to educate him. At yesterday's press conference, he said things that were immediately contradicted by Dr. Fauci. White House staff could have easily cross checked both men's talking points before going on air and they may well have tried. The fact that it took Trump mere minutes to swerve into nonsense tells you something is terribly wrong in the chain of command. The very first link is broken.

I didn't get to hear the press conference.

But, I do believe as far as the President being told "the drug has FDA approval" could easily be taken as "approval for Coronavirus" when it meant it the drug has FDA approval. 

It takes years for FDA approval.  The FDA is not a fast-acting agency from what I've read.  

As far as could he and his staff do better, yes.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, I do believe as far as the President being told "the drug has FDA approval" could easily be taken as "approval for Coronavirus" when it meant it the drug has FDA approval. 

You were able to understand that "FDA approval" does not (and could not, because of the slow FDA process that Trump has lambasted) mean "approval for Coronavirus" but the President of the United States could easily be confused?

That's precisely my point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.