What do you use your alts for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My very first account, back in 2010 was created for RP purposes only. I played in medieval fantasy sims for a year or so, then I ended up having to take a break from SL for just over a year (RL marriage break-down) and when I came back, all the sims I played in were gone, and most of my friends had moved on from SL.  I tried to modernize her, but she would not cooperate; she was a thoroughly medieval character. I basically "killed" her off, and created Charlotte, who's been my main for almost 6 years now.  

I created a few alts with the idea to use them for photos, until I realized I wasn't really interested in, or very good at, taking pictures of people, so they basically sit gathering dust.

4 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I will say .. switching to a new main just as mesh bodies became the norm was awesome for the clean inventory. I can search for stuff and not find a decades worth of literal junk I'm too sentimental to delete.

Oddly enough, when I went through a bad breakup. I decided to take a break, and this was on my old main. But when I came back, I didn't want to log into him. So I went with my oldest account, and well I got a fresh start. I think having alts.  I have a cute bunny alt. Who is just my bank and my texture and full perm storage alt. Like I don't really log onto the bunny, only when I need money, or need a texture or an item. 

Edited by halebore Aeon

My original account - about 3.5 months older than Lil - was fairly prim & proper.  I created Lil to explore the seedier side of SL and try out things that I was interested in, but not sure I wanted associated with my primary account.  Somehow, Lil took over and became the main, relegating the original account to the realm of alts.

A few alts since then were created simply for word play -- back when we got some interesting last names and many of us had fun creating silly or pun names with them.  I've also created a few alts for things like adjusting poses, testing object permissions, testing group permissions, testing land permissions, testing ban behavior, etc....  Some of those alts were Premium at various times over the years to donate their tier to the land group and "donate" their L$ to Lil.

I have recently downsized my mainland a bit - partly to have tier available for the new Linden Homes and partly just to reduce the overall financial cost of SL for a while.  One thing all those Premium alts helped with was me being able to use them for the abandon/re-select process of getting a Linden House/Houseboat in what I consider to be a good location.  A single account can only abandon and re-select a Linden home 5 times in a 24-hour period.  Thus, for my first Linden Home, when I didn't like the first 5 locations, I simply changed to a new alt to try again - that first house took something like 13 tries before I ended up with a spot that I thought was pretty great (and those 13 tries therefore took 3 accounts doing the select/abandon/re-select process).  Likewise, when the latest houseboats were rolled out and I already had a location that I didn't hate, but also didn't "love", I used an alt to try getting a better location, and after nabbing what I considered to be a much better spot, I then went back to the other alt and abandoned her plot.  Using  a second and third alt allowed me to keep the first plot until I was sure that I had a better location.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I created Lil to explore the seedier side of SL and try out things that I was interested in, but not sure I wanted associated with my primary account.  Somehow, Lil took over and became the main

Somehow!

But seriously, I hope you had fun.

• Like 1

I never got around to creating an alt. I wanted to create one for motorcycle back seat testing, and was thinking of making it a crash test dummy. There's a model on Marketplace for that. Didn't need it in the end.

Now I may create one for Bakes On Mesh use. The Bakes on Mesh process involves considerable messing with your avatar and you look terrible while doing it. That's a job for an alt.

8 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

(Emphasis mine) Are you sure about that?

Ok then.

areyousure.jpg.2aea58065337f5032eae45df87f51b77.jpg

I remember cooling off a friendship once, for many reasons to do with the guy's over-investment in SL. Once he'd confessed to me that he'd spent an entire morning logged on in both his and his wife's laptops so that he could shag himself every which way, I had to withdraw a bit.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I remember cooling off a friendship once, for many reasons to do with the guy's over-investment in SL. Once he'd confessed to me that he'd spent an entire morning logged on in both his and his wife's laptops so that he could shag himself every which way, I had to withdraw a bit.

Was alt+tab too much for him he had to go extra and use another laptop for his 'self play' lol 

• Like 1

One alt i primarily use as a piggy bank to squirrel away money for things i'm saving to buy, one alt i use for trying out free/cheap mesh bodies my two other alts don't have any specific use. If i want to check something out after i've logged out for the night i will pick one of my alts to do my dirty work

Cas is my first avatar though no longer my main. I currently use him only for his land allowance and L$500 a week stipend, though I have used him for roleplay in the past.

Lewis is just me. This avatar represents wholly who I am in RL (except I'm not ginger in RL)

Frost was taken just for a clever name, back when first-name/last-name was still a thing. (No, I'm not telling you what that name was). He is also a RP alt, though again not currently used for anything.

Indra was to see what it was like to be a woman in SL. Verdict; not a fan.

Frankie Noir is the barman at my club. He also gets all the club donations, so I am not tempted to spend it.

Edited by Lewis Luminos

2 minutes ago, Phebe Juran said:

I just uploaded to my new laptop and my alt won't load in world? any ideas?  she is my piggy bank

"won't load?"
If you mean stays a cloud, try changing outfits -- especially something with a different shape -- or even try choosing a new stock avatar from the menu.

I have one alt, she's normally a cat but I have other animal avatar I use too; a couple of Tinies, a crow, a foal, a butterfly...etc.

I use it when I want quiet, non-social time in SL.  It's also very handy for exploring RP sims I'm interested in.  I'm not inclined to dress in the theme just to look around, and it's more fun that wearing a full body alpha. 

Oh I also use her for the land allowance.

Edited by Ellen Cordeaux
forgot something

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.