What do you use your alts for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Phebe Juran said:

Her screen is stuck on loading in world. wont move past that at log in

If you can log in fine, but not the alt, it could be a case of the alt having a "flat inventory".  That happens when you don't have enough sub-folders for things -- too many items at a single level in your inventory.  You can open a support ticket and have the check to see if that is the case for the alt account.

My alts don't usually talk to each other or even hang around in the same parts of SL, but they sometimes swap scripts or transferable items.  They also test perms for each other, since I am notoriously clumsy at setting them right myself. 

One of the rare times when I have appeared together with an alt was for a magic show I put on years ago with my identical twin alt, who also has the same first name.  We did several acts that involved being in two places at once (sawing a woman in half, escaping from a locked cabinet, popping out of a hat, juggling  ... ) .  It took a lot of preparation but was great fun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have four alts, and each one seems to have acquired a different persona, although that was not my intention.

I didn't start out with four alts. There was a time in the past when I came back to Second Life after a bad turn in reality and had forgotten my two former alt's names and passwords. I made two new alts but when I found the old ones again it was like a family reunion. 

Three of them take turns doing different things, and one sits around on a houseboat and spends her sisters' stipends. One belongs to the majority of the groups so that the other three don't get constant messages. One of them has a massive 33,000 inventory.

With them as a group I save a bit on tier and I have a small but steady allowance in Second Life. The yearly premiums I consider as entertainment expense. 

• Like 2

Mine is probably weird but ...

I always have one New main account and then one old account waiting to be killed off. 

I need the old because new account have money limits and new restriction. So there is like a handoff. The old account will be around in the background until it is 2 years old then I delete it. So never more than two accounts at a time. 

Reason I get a new Main account every year is .. 

#1 - I like a fresh, organized inventory. Seriously and after awhile I figure everything in my account is dated, anyway. 

Also i end up hating my name.  And want a new one.

I have found this enhances my sl exploring and I avoid ruts. 

If I leave sl then come back and just want all new. 

I have done this since 2009/2010z 

5 hours ago, Snugs McMasters said:

I use mine for nefarious purposes*.

I didn't even know porpoises could be nefarious. I better be careful to lock my door then, we got some of them in the fjord right outside my house.

• Haha 2

Lani tests on the beta grid after it took me a WEEK (pretty much every day) to get my inventory back in shape after a hug fiasco when the instigated the "matching the grids" idea. Not willing to go there again. 

Another alt is part of a land group with friends for that bonus thing.  

I have one alt that I use to test items for permissions before they go out for sale. 

The other 473 just sit around drinking wine and playing cards. 

• Haha 3

I made one years ago to represent my RL physical appearance (mature, grey hair etc) but once his appearance was finished, it got boring really fast. I upgraded him to mesh last year and after another week it got boring again. I don't even log him in any more.

I should make him Premium for the extra land allowance though. Having looked at the finances, it's almost a no-brainer.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Don't laugh but I created an alt to be blonde and another to be a redhead. I started as a brunette and would wear various hairstyles in black only. When I tried to use blonde it felt wrong. A blonde Bree? Impossible! So I created a new avatar and it felt perfectly normal to make the alt have a different hair color. Of course I ran into the same issue when trying to change her hair color to red and another alt was born. There are a few exceptions. For some reason, hair colors like white, green, pink, etc do not feel wrong to use but I only use them temporarily. Yes, there's another alt with brown hair. 

I do this too 💜 Bitsy used to be either red or brown, but then another went red so Bitsy is always brunette now. Her take on steampunk is full Victorian with a purple updo though. Paisley started out as the building alt (cause beta grid inventory stuff) but took on a slife of her own. Her appearance changes drastically depending on what group gifts (and the occasional sale) have come her way. Flaming red, sophisticated platinum blond bob, dark green "venom" punk, rainbow cute. Brown is wrong on her though. The only time either are blond is the obviously artificial one and then only on Paisley.

Re the OP: boy alt, started 'cause my SL was hunting with a group of male friends. When the men's hunts started, I eventually made a male alt to tag along with them cause it was more interesting than staying at home sorting inventory and watching their chat. Now he collects interesting male gifts, changes his clothes about once a year (the Kauna close-out will keep him sorted into the next century :)), and helps with building things like size/position testing.

My close friends know them all and they're all just me, albeit with meandering, improptu back stories whose sole purpose is to make my friends laugh :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered another niche use for alts: reducing your permissions on copies of items you made. I'm scripting a bakery for personal use that only works well when the baking items are no-copy, but I can't set it up like that when I made the meshes and scripts myself. There's a solution. Passing them to my alt full-perm and then changing the permissions as the alt makes it work. He can rez the prop giver with props inside, which will freely make copies under his full permissions, and give me one I can't copy.

• Like 1

I AM the alt. No seriously! 

My former main (a male avatar) who's around eight years old and has been retired for a while now, over a year I think. I used to log him in to role play but he's long since stepped out of circulation. I brought him back after a couple of years to test scripts and permissions for me (Rae) when I was heavily into the construction phase. Now he's pretty much just fading into oblivion all over again.

Then there's this account; Rae. This is the closest version of the RL me but idealised an awful lot. She has since become my main. She builds, scripts, and gets to live out my dream of being a parent as I care for a scripted Animesh baby every day.

Then there's another female that I use when I'm feeling promiscuous. Physically she's the exact opposite of Rae, and basically does all the things I wouldn't want publicly known. Yep, she's a complete hussy. Or is, on the rare occasion the mood takes me. She came in handy too for testing all the adult animations and wearing basically anything that Rae as a chubby suburban type avatar couldn't get away with. She hasn't seen the light of day in a long while now. Says a lot about my present state of mind.

I have a 'bot' who doesn't serve any purpose anymore. He's pretty much a shared account. All the former staff of that particular RP sim I helped manage had access to him at the time. He's another one that's been forgotten.

There's also a child avatar/account that I haven't used since I created her. It was one of those flights of fancy really to see if I could do it. So I did and never logged her back in again.

I also have a male who was given to me by a friend. He has such a stupid legacy name it's almost embarrassing. Originally the plan was to use him for role play but then I left the scene before he could make his debut. I had also planned on giving him a makeover which I still might if I get bored enough. I just have no reason to bother right now so he's another one gathering dust on the shelf.

Back when I was heavily involved in RP I used to have a few of my alts in groups to bolster numbers, but since it's no longer required they were ejected and the groups disbanded. On the rare occasion I've sent money/Lindens to an alt in order to save up in a case of 'out of sight, out of mind' type deal. That worked for a while, then I just started logging the alt back in and drained the savings dry. It was good in theory, while it lasted. If I know for a fact that one alt has something FP or with Trans scripts that I need I may log them in and transfer that over. But much of the time I can't be bothered searching, and the LMs are generally out-of-date. Now they're more like little time capsules; irrelevant and full of useless crap that I've long since forgotten about.

Really the only one that gets any screen time now is Rae which suits me fine. Means less passwords I have to remember and fewer inventories to keep organised I guess.

Edited by RaeLeeH
Typos, naturally. -.-
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.