What do you use your alts for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Makes me ponder...at what point does the alt become the main?

Probably when the alt gets more screen time than the main, I'm guessing. That's my case anyway. 

That is if that wasn't just a rhetorical question that didn't actually need an answer, did it? 🤔

13 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Probably when the alt gets more screen time than the main, I'm guessing. That's my case anyway. 

That is if that wasn't just a rhetorical question that didn't actually need an answer, did it? 🤔

A little and your answer is on the spot of course but I guess I was more interested in the point at which you or anyone else realises that they don't want to be their previous main as much any more.  Was it a conscious decision or did it creep in by degrees, etc.  Was hoping to spark comments from others who might have similar experiences too.

23 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

A little and your answer is on the spot of course but I guess I was more interested in the point at which you or anyone else realises that they don't want to be their previous main as much any more.  Was it a conscious decision or did it creep in by degrees, etc.  Was hoping to spark comments from others who might have similar experiences too.

Oh I'm sure they'll reply. It's early in the States right now, so a lot of people are waking up. Their opinions will follow shortly I've no doubt.

I'll just answer and get it out of the way since I'm still awake and here (obviously) that my decision was a conscious one. My former main was in role play. I role played as a man though didn't tell anyone I was a female until things started getting strained in OOC conversation. There was a lot of bad blood, people were upset with me for lying by omission, and he retired from RP. I created Rae while he was still active and found with no real need for him, I could focus on being more myself and carried less risk of causing issues as a female playing a female. So he was retired and she's been active for the most part ever since.

12 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

For me it was neither, really. I joined SL in 2006 and played for a little under a year, then I got more interested in World of Warcraft and forgot about SL for a while. When I came back in 2008 I couldn't remember my old password, and it seemed that I didn't have the email address any more either and it was easier to just start from scratch. 

Fast forward to 2013, I wondered whether it was even possible to get the account back, so because I didn't have access to the email address any more I submitted a support ticket to recover it.

I was in for a shock when I logged him in again for the first time after that break. He did not own a single item of non-system clothing. Not even a single pair of prim shoes. He did own prim hair, but it was truly awful.  I re-created this pic with all his original appearance, taken at the same info hub where he was "born".

casidy1st_003s.png.7478309ae3d0f031e8c1dc8837676a08.png

Yes, children, those are system shoes.

Needless to say he got a swift makeover and this is how he looks now:

998788564_profile1904.png.8e534463082187f65fcdfaa907768357.png

But by this time I was already well-established in my SL-life as Lewis Luminos, it didn't really make sense to go back to having this one as my main, so he remains a little-used alt. 

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, Bree Giffen said:

Don't laugh but I created an alt to be blonde and another to be a redhead. I started as a brunette and would wear various hairstyles in black only. When I tried to use blonde it felt wrong. A blonde Bree? Impossible! So I created a new avatar and it felt perfectly normal to make the alt have a different hair color. Of course I ran into the same issue when trying to change her hair color to red and another alt was born. There are a few exceptions. For some reason, hair colors like white, green, pink, etc do not feel wrong to use but I only use them temporarily. Yes, there's another alt with brown hair. 

I did that too!  Katt had white hair, like me in real life.  Kali was a red head because my best friend was one and I always wanted to try it.  Then I made Katia to be a blonde.  Most of my first alts all had the initials KW, I'm not sure why but it made sense at the time. Zenia has brown hair.

Then I started making alts with names that were useful for lucky chairs like Xenia, Xyla, Qual and Zog( my first male alt).

I made a new alt whenever I felt like it was time to experience the newbie experience again.  It was useful for helping newbies since starting in SL kept changing over time.  It's fun to run around finding the best freebies and giving each of them a unique look. Some of them went on to try some aspect of SL like role play.

When everyone had to have the last name resident I would make names that seemed like they were a first and last name strung together and then I would split them as a display name.

In 2014 I started playing tiny empires and so then I suddenly had a use for all those alts I had made and I made them all my subjects which allowed me to get to princess in record time.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:30 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

My original account - about 3.5 months older than Lil - was fairly prim & proper. 

I created Lil to explore the seedier side of SL and try out things that I was interested in, but not sure I wanted associated with my primary account.  Somehow, Lil took over and became the main, relegating the original account to the realm of alts.

Mine was too!  And I created Kali to be my evil twin.  Then when Katt died of a broken heart Kali took over as the main av.

16 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Makes me ponder...at what point does the alt become the main?

My first alt (me-Kali Wylder) took over as main in 2012 when my first av decided she couldn't continue after the loss of her partner.

Alts are very useful.  I use one just for finding music streams while I am working. Sometimes I have an alt do a hunt for me so I don't clutter up my inventory with so much stuff.  Then after I unpack I will go back and pick up anything that I really feel I've got to have for myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the subject of alts quite fascinating actually.  They have been a part of the internet and SL for so long now and yet I would imagine for many ordinary people the arrival of the internet would signify the first ever point in history they ever entertained the idea of taking on an alternate identity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I find the subject of alts quite fascinating actually.  They have been a part of the internet and SL for so long now and yet I would imagine for many ordinary people the arrival of the internet would signify the first ever point in history they ever entertained the idea of taking on an alternate identity.

I think there's also another distinction. Some people first come into SL as a (perfect) version of themselves. Others come in world as a primary alt of their RL self. 

So in the first case (which is what I did) it's RL me/SL me plus two alts. So my alts can never truly take over.

But in the second case it's RL person plus three SL alts. In this case it seems that each alt has equal status, so any could become the main.

That's me thinking aloud!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ZenCho Balhaus said:

I have a Male alt, created just to be a photo prop, I can park him up, he doesn't get bored and doesn't pester me for sexy time

I hadn't considered that someone might use an alt to deter unwanted attention.  That is a great idea.  I have always taken a more direct approach and rebuffed that stuff.  Force of habit I guess, there are no alts in RL after all.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Gahh, crazy forum software

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

But in the second case it's RL person plus three SL alts. In this case it seems that each alt has equal status, so any could become the main.

That's me thinking aloud!

My mind has often wondered what effect on the brain playing different roles with different characters are.  Is it beneficial or harmful?  Actors don't seem to suffer problems as far as I can tell.  I would lean towards beneficial but that might be wishful thinking.  Just further musings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

For me it was neither, really. I joined SL in 2006 and played for a little under a year, then I got more interested in World of Warcraft and forgot about SL for a while. When I came back in 2008 I couldn't remember my old password, and it seemed that I didn't have the email address any more either and it was easier to just start from scratch. 

Fast forward to 2013, I wondered whether it was even possible to get the account back, so because I didn't have access to the email address any more I submitted a support ticket to recover it.

I was in for a shock when I logged him in again for the first time after that break. He did not own a single item of non-system clothing. Not even a single pair of prim shoes. He did own prim hair, but it was truly awful.  I re-created this pic with all his original appearance, taken at the same info hub where he was "born".

Yes, children, those are system shoes.

But by this time I was already well-established in my SL-life as Lewis Luminos, it didn't really make sense to go back to having this one as my main, so he remains a little-used alt. 

Pretty much ditto for me as well, only Debi was born in 2003. I was spirited away to WoW as well by friends. By the time I came back Debi was long gone or so I thought so Blush was born. After establishing my little business in SL I decided to try getting Debi back. I wasn't successful my first try, but as one who has a hard time giving up on anything or anyone, I tried again and voila that time it happened. So Debi was reborn. I still didn't use her much for a couple of years, but as my business became more demanding of my time, I started using Debi when I wanted to be social and not have to deal with business IMs. Debi quickly became my main at that point. Though over time I realized that I really couldn't keep the two separate as I am me no matter where I am. Currently, I don't think of them as main and alt but more like flip sides of the same coin. They just have different jobs and inventories. LOL .. many of my friends say I remind them of Sybil. :P Let's see how many get that reference. 

• Like 5

Now, some honest answers:

- Going back into a club after having been banned, to grief the hostess

- Cheating in contests

- Cheating on partners

- Griefing in sandboxes to 'let off steam'

- Making controversial posts on the forums

-

Edited by MrByrite
  • Haha 5

The main is me. The appearance may vary - furry, human , borg, whatever - but they are all aspects of me. When I need an avatar that is something else, for any reason, I fire up the alt. Usually to be a crash test dummy for stuff while the main tweaks any constructs around them or to model in photos that the main wouldn't look right in, no matter which aspect he's expressing.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:51 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

That one looks awesome!

I'm going to make them all Premium and log each one into a different browser, constantly refreshing the Premium Homes page so that I can have LL homes for dozens of alts and send many people into hysteria.

*runs away, cackling with evilness*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm going to make them all Premium and log each one into a different browser, constantly refreshing the Premium Homes page so that I can have LL homes for dozens of alts and send many people into hysteria.

They must all be identical buildings owned by identical avatars and all decorated with the same, singular, identical, pink lawn flamingo by way of a token gesture.

Start a new thread on the forums "Show off your NOT Bellisseialalala Homes", first post, this accounts avatar sitting on a throne made from linden homes. Use picture as profile pic for all your alts. Post pictures of each of the alts next to their flamingo in the other threads.

• Haha 4

On 6/7/2019 at 11:51 PM, Lewis Luminos said:

Oooh he is yummy... if you don't want him, send him my way...  :P

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

*runs away, cackling with evilness*

Copycat. 

*hairflip*

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.