What do you use your alts for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Primary: Item/script/animation testing

Secondaries: Deterring people from hitting on me. I get to fill in the "in a relationship with" box with his name. I am not interested in SL romance so this makes for a nice diplomatic way to get people to leave me alone about it. Second group member so I can have a group for my family already set up with two members. If someone else wants to join it's ready to go.

Bonuses: A yellow dot on my parcel so my green one doesn't get lonely. Exploring areas that my main wouldn't go but me behind the keyboard is curious about.

• Like 3

Two alts.

Alt 1: Male, whom I used almost purely as an ironic socket puppet (posing as a Gorean master) to post satirical/jokey threads here. Pretty much every thread he started eventually got nuked by mods, although 2 or 3 of the OPs were preserved on the old SLU forum. I suppose I could resurrect and use him as an "extra" in photos, but that would mean updating his look to mesh, and he doesn't really deserve it: he's (literally) kind of a Dick.

Alt 2: A slightly dreary, overly-earnest would-be photographer who occasionally posts here, and whom I take in-world pretty frequently, because she whines if I don't. Technically, her account is older than mine, but we all know who the real sock puppet is.

I don't own land, so I don't need tier, I couldn't RP my way out of a paper bag, and I don't do anything in-world that I wouldn't want associated with myself, so I don't really much need alts.

Edited by LaskyaClaren
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I use my alt when I just wanna be alone and explore places. Unfortunately, my alt became blocked somehow and I keep putting in tickets to get help but she's still locked up. *sighs*

Edited by LaLa702

10 minutes ago, LaLa702 said:

I use my alt when I just wanna be alone and explore places. Unfortunately, my alt became blocked somehow and I keep putting in tickets to get help but she's still locked up. *sighs*

I dont get making a alt for 'alone time exploring'. Can some one explain why you wouldnt just explore on your main. 

If I want alone time I use a auto respones.

1 hour ago, callistanull said:

Exploring areas that my main wouldn't go but me behind the keyboard is curious about.

Except @callistanull shes honest lol 

or maybe ^^^ is the answer to my question. 

• Like 1

I have a few kicking about, previous mains and whatnot. Only used for stuff where I need more that one account on at the same time (viewer testing / bug hunting / product dev & permissions checking).

I used to do the whole serious / fraternizing split, but it was very artificial and ended up getting frustrating to start making something on the wrong account and then be missing textures, or have my head in a script all day .. while chattin to friends. Ended up being the worst of both.

How some people find the time to run multiple active accounts is beyond me.

• Like 2

I don't even remember why i made this account, but i probably made it because i forgot my main's username, but i somehow got it back.  Anyways, i only use this alt for posting on the forum these days.  ¬¬

Edited by Nextio

Today it's mostly about having owners for my MP stores but I also use one of my lesser known alts when I want to or need to be left in peace in SL. Some of you may have noticed that when I post snapshots from some in-world test here, you never see Chin Rey on the pictures (unless it's from the beta grid). The reason is that if I log on as Rey or Lynx, I have to expect to spend half an hour or more - sometimes several hours - responding to messages and helping tenants and customers before I can even get started on what I logged on to do.

I also save a few Lindens by having premium accounts for all my alts rather than pay for even more extended tier and by splitting the extended tier between several of them but not much, so that's not really important.

Those are not the reason I created the alts in the first place though. Let me see if I can remember it all...

My main, Tess, was a photographer and she was a premimum member with a Linden Home and everything right from the start. I created my first alt, Lynx, partly to use as a model for the pictures, mostly because I wanted to see how it was to have a basic membership with no home and no Linden stipend.

Chin Rey was meant as joke rp character with a silly name and everything. Unfortunately, that's the one I was logged on as when I first met Aley and when I first met this builder who ordered me to join Builders Brewery. So she became my builder alt and gradually building became my main activity in SL. If I had seen that coming, I would have been a bit more careful choosing her name.

I had no particular reason for Bel but at least I managed to pick a decent name for what was to become my scripter alt.

Jazz was - and still is - my get-away-from-everything alt. She also became my I-do't-care-what-other-people-think-this-is-what-I-call-pretty altwhich is quite convenient since it means she can appear in public without getting overlaoded with IMs from (male) strangers.

Storm was my tester alt, specially created to be harassed by Bel's misfiring scripts and ejected by the security orbs my tenants insisted on having. I also use her to upload public domain textures since I don't want the Chin Rey or Bel names to be associated with things I hacen't made myself.

• Like 1

My first alt (me...) I created when I was new in 2007 and did not know I could just unfriend people who turned out quite stalker-ish and wanted to start clean. So my previous main is now my oldest alt.

Then I made an alt, because being quite a shy personality (even more so back then), I thought if I made an alt, I can try out behaving more outward and experiment with stuff I would not dare before. Turns out the rl person controlling the alt was the same as my main, so nothing much changed in behavior. 

Then I made a couple of alts when I started a shape store (way before mesh) and used them to model these shapes in the store.

In between I sometimes just created a new alt for the sake of fun. I enjoy making alts, giving them their own distinct looks and personality. (visually)

All of them ended up eating dust for years, till I started an AFK adult sim a year and half ago, so I popped out the alts and rotated them as working girls (and some boys), that way they earned their mesh upgrades. Did quit the AFK sim after a year but it left me with about 13 alts that I remember, all up to date with mesh.

Now I use them mainly for photographic guest roles if there's no volunteer available, or what is more common, when I don't have the need for socializing but do need a model :)

crash testing

being shot

Mrs Cake

odd experiments

cupboard testing

dartboard

being thrown off things when on fire

security target

Mrs Cake

#crashtestingisalsoalifestyle

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Being a man

Exploring a couple of things that are so weird and niche they barely exist even in SL (yeah, I know. Nothing illegal or immoral)

Creating a revolting av to put in crap freebie silks and go around submitting to everyone in Gor

Escaping various freaks and idiots (I know I can block them but they just use their own alts)

The psychological feeling of a whole new identity although it would appear I always revert to type eventually.

• Like 4

- Nora is a workaholic, and therefore constantly receiving IMs when she is online and sometimes ya girl needs a break. 

-photography partners. I can be my own boyfriend. 😛 

- I’m almost ashamed to admit that I get in some epic RP scenarios with myself, often times confusing the marbles out of passerby 

- Exploration without interruptions

• Like 2

Don't laugh but I created an alt to be blonde and another to be a redhead. I started as a brunette and would wear various hairstyles in black only. When I tried to use blonde it felt wrong. A blonde Bree? Impossible! So I created a new avatar and it felt perfectly normal to make the alt have a different hair color. Of course I ran into the same issue when trying to change her hair color to red and another alt was born. There are a few exceptions. For some reason, hair colors like white, green, pink, etc do not feel wrong to use but I only use them temporarily. Yes, there's another alt with brown hair. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.