How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The type of humor I'm talking about is the more subtle light-hearted stuff, nothing too offensive.

The reason why I ask is I'm thinking about wearing a Jesus avatar but just talk using my real personality and being witty if necessary.

Edit: After some thought, I'm not going to proceed with this after all.

Edited by Gopi Passiflora
Change of heart after introspection
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A Priest, a Scientologist and a Rabi walk into a bar, with a Giraffe in a Santa suit..

The guy narrating the joke say's.. I can't wait until all this social distancing is over so I can get back in there to see what's going on in that bar.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

55 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

The type of humor I'm talking about is the more subtle light-hearted stuff, nothing too offensive.

The reason why I ask is I'm thinking about wearing a Jesus avatar but just talk using my real personality and being witty if necessary.

Jesus lives just a couple of lots down. I don't think you could pull him off. But I'd love to be a fly on the wall if you did! 😁

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm not at all religious, so go for it. A friend of mine used to have a Jesus NPC that she'd put on display at Easter. He would hold a basket of Easter candy for all to enjoy. Who doesn't like candy? 

You mean you never saw the van he had parked out back that said Free Candy! on the side? 

oops

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Your title doesn't specify religion but you're asking about a Jesus avatar.  So is your question really general?

I guess I just meant Judaism and Christianity in the title - stuff in the Christian bible. I do know Islam is off limits because it's taboo to depict their prophet visually, no matter how light the humor is.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess I just meant Judaism and Christianity in the title - stuff in the Christian bible. I do know Islam is off limits because it's taboo to depict their prophet visually, no matter how light the humor is.

Might be taboo to them, but it isn't to me. 

As far as I'm concerned, all religious are equal and available for jokes. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I do have respect for those who don't try to convert me/shove their religion down my throat. The ones that do either of those things should never approach me. All they are going to get is a negative reaction because I will turn my back on them and walk away immediately. 

• Like 7

In this day and age, everything is offensive. Personally, I am a agnostic atheist(Think scientist style belief of neither believing or disbelieving), but my heritage lies in Christianity(I was raised Christian, my parents are Christian, and I still celebrate Christmas/Easter) and I will stand by and defend it when needed. This is not one of those times.

I say go for it! I do not see anything wrong with it. If there was something wrong with it, then there is a lot of BIBLE GAMES(I am looking at you zoo race, super 3d Noah's ark and the many other Christian video games) designed to try and teach but would be as equally offensive as someone wearing a Jesus avatar.

The way I see it, by keeping a culture in the closet and forbidding anyone to do anything with it will just cause it to die out due to obscurity and lack of information, as no one will know the history, stories, and figures of the culture.

As for humor. A humorless life is a sad one. Everyone has differing levels of humor, I personally have highly controversial and dark levels of humor(Equal opportunity offender, or south park style), not to say I don't understand other humor. Someone using a Jesus avatar and walking around is honestly one of the more innocent type of humor in my book. If it did offend me, I would still be light-years more offended by WBC lol.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Humour and satire are entirely legitimate, if often misused and abused, tools to critique something that is deserving of criticism. Religion doesn't get a free pass: where it merits criticism, it should absolutely be subject to it, and humour is one appropriate way to do that.

Obviously, some people are likely to find that offensive. If the criticism is valid, then so be it: the onus is on them to show that the religion doesn't "deserve" it. Personally, I find the misogyny, homophobia, and racism embedded in many religions a completely valid reason to level humour and satire at  them -- recognizing, at the same time, that no faith is monolithic.

But I wouldn't just ridicule an entire faith; I'd make it clear what it was that I found troubling or wrong about it.

I really can't see any justification or reason for offending people merely for the sake of doing so. In most Western countries, I can legally call a stranger on the street an "a**hole" for no reason whatsoever. Why would I do that? What's the point in being obnoxious merely because I can?

Surely the same sort of thing should apply to people's fundamental beliefs. If you've got an actual point to make -- if the humour and satire is a means to an end, the end being critiquing something that deserves to be exposed, ridiculed, and changed -- then go for it.

But if you've decided that your "right" to "be funny" is more important to you than how crappy you are making someone else feel, then I think it's you who are being the a**hole. I won't dispute your right to be an a**hole, but I'll sure as hell call you one: that's my right.

Think of humour as a weapon. Use it responsibly, only in need, and with an eye to not causing more damage than is merited by the injustice that you are targeting. Why hurt people who don't deserve it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

People these days will be offended by just about anything. If someone gets offended because you 'impersonate the messiah' dressed up as a Caucasian guy with long blond hair and a goatee ... I mean, it's just so silly to begin with, it feels like making fun of it just trying to explain. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.