How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Edit: After some thought, I'm not going to proceed with this after all.

Edited 4 hours ago by Gopi Passiflora

I wasn't sure what to say in this thread because the OP, Gopi, added this sentence above.

Something must have made him change his mind.

I pretty much think it's up to the individual but I'd ask please keep it to your own parcel as animats said and agree with what Dano Seale wrote above too.  I am not a religious Christian but considered myself "Christian".   I do not follow any particular religions practices other than love as Jesus asked us but I don't like religious humor for any religion.  I also do not believe the Bible was written by God but by man for man only.  Woman aren't even allowed to read the scriptures in most religions.  Jesus was about love and forgiveness, that's good enough for me and all I need to know.  

Edited by FairreLilette

42 minutes ago, Orwar said:

People these days will be offended by just about anything. If someone gets offended because you 'impersonate the messiah' dressed up as a Caucasian guy with long blond hair and a goatee ... I mean, it's just so silly to begin with, it feels like making fun of it just trying to explain. 

Especially considering that the living person would have been dark(er) skinned with dark hair and eyes, not white skinned, blonde and blue eyed.

• Like 4

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Especially considering that the living person would have been dark(er) skinned with dark hair and eyes, not white skinned, blonde and blue eyed.

That would be the point, yes.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'd say you would be surprised at how many people either flat out refuse to believe it or are completely oblivious but you obviously know that already.

Obviously. 

The cardinal sin of Satanism is stupidity, and I must always avoid accidentally congregating with sinners! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Obviously. 

The cardinal sin of Satanism is stupidity, and I must always avoid accidentally congregating with sinners! 

I can see ignorance, especially willful ignorance, but stupidity? Using the dictionary definition of the word, stupidity is a condition one is born with and there isn't anything that can be done about it even medically.

tl:dr I view them as two different things. So being stupid isn't a sin, while ignorance is. Ignorance can be "cured", stupidity cannot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Humour and satire are entirely legitimate, if often misused and abused, tools to critique something that is deserving of criticism. Religion doesn't get a free pass: where it merits criticism, it should absolutely be subject to it, and humour is one appropriate way to do that.

Obviously, some people are likely to find that offensive. If the criticism is valid, then so be it: the onus is on them to show that the religion doesn't "deserve" it. Personally, I find the misogyny, homophobia, and racism embedded in many religions a completely valid reason to level humour and satire at  them -- recognizing, at the same time, that no faith is monolithic.

But I wouldn't just ridicule an entire faith; I'd make it clear what it was that I found troubling or wrong about it.

I really can't see any justification or reason for offending people merely for the sake of doing so. In most Western countries, I can legally call a stranger on the street an "a**hole" for no reason whatsoever. Why would I do that? What's the point in being obnoxious merely because I can?

Surely the same sort of thing should apply to people's fundamental beliefs. If you've got an actual point to make -- if the humour and satire is a means to an end, the end being critiquing something that deserves to be exposed, ridiculed, and changed -- then go for it.

But if you've decided that your "right" to "be funny" is more important to you than how crappy you are making someone else feel, then I think it's you who are being the a**hole. I won't dispute your right to be an a**hole, but I'll sure as hell call you one: that's my right.

Think of humour as a weapon. Use it responsibly, only in need, and with an eye to not causing more damage than is merited by the injustice that you are targeting. Why hurt people who don't deserve it?

Yeah, I basically agree with you Scylla, but that kind of satirical humor is way too serious, not to mention the work; my humor leans closer to gentle irony, and I always try to honor Thumper's father's advice.  'Sides, I don't wanna hurt anyone.

• Like 3

"The Life of Brian" was one of the most hilarious movies I've ever seen! All about satire, all about 'Jesus', and all fun. 😛 It was never meant to offend, and, to me, it never did.

Self-relativation, especially in religion, is a powerful tool. And those who lack a healthy dose of it, especially in religion, tend to go psychotic.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yes, but many of us know that as he walked the desert more or less he would have been quite dark.  Painters used to be commissioned by the church itself but even Italian's were darker.  ???  o.0  

But, anyhow...I'm very selective about humor and everything else.  My sister says I am the least impressionable person she has ever met.  And, that is true.  Not much impresses me...but I don't like religious humor for some reason.  It could be this thing that it just doesn't make an impression on me and/or at times appears stupid itself.  

Funny though how most of my Jewish friends and those from Israel itself, are light skinned.  I have a lot of Jewish friends.  

Edited by FairreLilette

5 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I have a friend who uses the display name God Almighty.  I really enjoy greeting him.

And there is nothing wrong with that display name, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has a sense of humor and does not get offended by such things.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Obviously. 

Ooooh. I dislike -isms of any ilk, but I could get behind that cardinal sin. Too bad the only way to avoid that is to self-isolate. Wait! Cool! I'm doing that!

Self-isolation means never having to doubt you're the smartest person in the room. (As if there is ever any doubt . . . )

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Nope. Not getting drug into that, Fairre. I'm not stupid.

I didn't think you were stupid.  

What did you say that was particularly funny because I didn't get the joke then or didn't see it?  It looked to me like you were talking about the color of the skin in most painting depictions?

Well, if you took it that I thought you were stupid, I'm sorry...because I don't think you are stupid.  You are right about the way the skin color is depicted.   

I said most religious humor to me is stupid itself to me.  I've not seen much but what I have seen, I thought it was stupid.  That's just my opinion.   Nothing about you being stupid.?????????????

Oh, am I supposed to think Jesus' skin color being painted wrong is funny?  Well, I've known that for so long...it's just too old as the hills for me now to make an impression on me other than to say you are right and that's about it but it didn't press me as funny in particular because I've known it for so long, I guess.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I didn't think you were stupid.  

What did you say that was particularly funny because I didn't get the joke then or didn't see it?  It looked to me like you were talking about the color of the skin in most painting depictions?

Well, if you took it that I thought you were stupid, I'm sorry...because I don't think you are stupid.  You are right about the way the skin color is depicted.   

I said most religious humor to me is stupid itself to me.  I've not seen much but what I have seen, I thought it was stupid.  That's just my opinion.   Nothing about you being stupid.?????????????

I never said anything funny. I never said anything about any paintings either. I said "living person".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I never said anything funny. I never said anything about any paintings either. I said "living person".

You've seen Jesus?  Now that's funny.  

There is no living person, Jesus, that I've ever seen...so I assumed you meant the painting depictions and/or the avatar which I haven't looked up yet but assumed it must be light skinned.  

Well, you lost me here on your posts.  I'm not sure what you are trying to say about a "living person" and/or why you thought I said you were stupid?????????????

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

You've seen Jesus?  Now that's funny.  

There is no living person, Jesus, that I've ever seen...so I assumed you meant the painting depictions and/or the avatar which I haven't looked up yet but assumed it must be light skinned.  

Well, you lost me here on your posts.  I'm not sure what you are trying to say about a "living person" and/or why you thought I said you were stupid?????????????

You'll be going down that rabbit hole all by yourself. I know what you are trying to pull. You are not the first to try to rope me into that particular "conversation". I'm not getting banned because you want to twist my words. No. Not now. Not ever. People like you are why I won't have anything to do with any religion.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.