How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

All of which just goes to show that "Religion" should'nt become a topic of conversation.  (Much the same as Taylor Swift!).

I agree with you Dano it is a topic to avoid under most circumstances as I know people of all religions and non-religions but as far as anywhere if it's with your friends it a private situation it should be okay, so I took out the ALWAYS.  My best friend and I discuss it sometimes but not in a "funny" way...just things she's been through and most of her relationships have been with Christians.  My best friend is Jewish.  We treat it with respect and understanding is the best way I can describe but I have learned things from her as woman are kept in a separate part of the temple while men can worship...so she doesn't even know anything much about her own religion and asked me to help her understand it by looking things up on the internet.  With her parents, she was kind of raised Jewish in silence.  She has asked me about Christianity and we have discussed in length how Jesus said love is the fulfillment of the law (the 612 laws of Moses in the Old Testament).  

As far as Silent, I did not understand their posts for the past couple of days and earlier in the day in the Covid-19 thread I misunderstand Silent also.  So I told Silent it is best just to ignore each other because I do not understand the posts.

When Silent said the living person, well, there is no actual living person now...so I thought he meant the magazines that have been out over the past 30 years or so showing how Jesus would have more or less looked, with darker skin.  Like the picture I am going to put below.  But, most religous humor is built around cliches and it's on FB and it falls flat to me and is not even funny.  One of the reasons I left FB was the humor was bad, except for the animal videos.  Those are funny, but I look those up now on YouTube.   The Taylor Swift thing I whole-heartedly agree with and sadly those people are on ignore now because I don't find those funny either.  I don't care what Taylor Swift thinks...why should I?  I don't care what any celebrity thinks for that matter, it has no bearing on my life.  

jesus.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Mine wasn't about making fun of a religion.

You hit the nail right on the head!

When someone asks, "Why would anyone want to make fun of someone's religion?!", then NVC (Non-Violent Communication) teaches us that such a question is not a mere observation, but, rather, an evaluation. (Namely, the one asking the question has already concluded hat ppl are making fun of them). Therefore the question is, if not simply invalid, then simply not applicable to me. Like you said, ppl are just making knock-knock jokes. Another person may take that personal. And I respect that. But I'm a Christian myself, and, speaking for myself (which is all one should ever do, really *hint*), I do not feel offended in the least by these jokes. In fact, I thought some of those were frakkin' hilarious. :) 

Also, 'God and I are an overwhelming majority!" I always loved that saying. :) Because that's really what I feel it means: God is so vast, that, whatever humor, or insults, or whatever, we might throw at Her, we simply don't have enough to put a dent in Her. (And if we could, screw that, I would dump such a petty God).

So, not to be a meanie, but I'm disowning the idea that ppl are making fun of a religion.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

You hit the nail right on the head!

When someone asks, "Why would anyone want to make fun of someone's religion?!", then NVC (Non-Violent Communication) teaches us that such a question is not a mere observation, but, rather, an evaluation. (Namely, the one asking the question has already concluded hat ppl are making fun of them). Therefore the question is, if not simply invalid, then simply not applicable to me. Like you said, ppl are just making knock-knock jokes. Another person may take that personal. And I respect that. But I'm a Christian myself, and, speaking for myself (which is all one should ever do, really *hint*), I do not feel offended in the least by these jokes. In fact, I thought some of those were frakkin' hilarious. :) 

Also, 'God and I are an overwhelming majority!" I always loved that saying. :) Because that's really what I feel it means: God is so vast, that, whatever humor, or insults, or whatever, we might throw at Her, we simply don't have enough to put a dent in Her. (And if we could, screw that, I would dump such a petty God).

So, not to be a meanie, but I'm disowning the idea that ppl are making fun of a religion.

Myself, I grew up in the christian religion and have read the bible from cover to cover more than a few times..

I went to church more than just Sunday's and made it a huge part of my life.. My bible was always with me and I would read it, just like people who look at their phones in their spare moments do today..

I don't think I lost faith in a lot of the things I read or believed in..I think it was more the human side of the religion is where I started to separate myself from..

I had a really hard time and felt really lost when i started to doubt a lot of things.. That kind of lost is something I never want to go though again, so I got really cautious and protective of things after that..

I started to notice how people would take sections of the bible to use to their advantage to manipulate someone else, knowing from reading it myself that, that wasn't the way or the intentions..Then I noticed things on a bigger scale..

To keep a long story short..

I have no ill feelings towards a lot of religions or those that practice them with knowledge and the goal of self improvement.. I do to those that use them as shackles and a swords..

I took all my energy from that and aimed it towards nature and noticed the similarities in the universe and a lot of the writings..

In doing that I found a much bigger picture and broader perspective than ever before, for myself..

For me,That is what the relationship is about.. It is a very personal one between me and my creator..The Universe, which makes that a truth that has brought a peace and enlightenment like I never felt before..

My belief is in a couple of quotes that I found that really made everything come together..

"We are the universe experiencing itself through different perspectives"

"I am My foot, as I am the Sun"

For me there is a reason for what everyone does and everything does, because in the bigger picture, it's all Natures way..

I'm sorry for carrying on so much..I kind of get lost  in things sometimes and tend to ramble on.. hehehehe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

All of which just goes to show that "Religion" should'nt become a topic of conversation....ANYWHERE!  (Much the same as Taylor Swift!).

That sparked an interesting insight for me. I think we could compare Taylor Swift to a religion in it's own mini way here on the forum. Nothing wrong with people wanting to find commonality, to bond over what they've determined the truth to be, to find comfort in making a truth out of the chaos of life (that truth for them being that Taylor Swift is AWESOME). I certainly wouldn't find any value in taking that away from them. But what if (not that anyone here has done so) they insisted everybody else believe this, or treated badly those who did not get with the Taylor Swift program, even excluding them in the positive reinforcement group membership can bring?  Here we see both the value of 'religion' and the problems that can develop from it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dhyaanee said:

What's the difference between the truth and what people determine is the truth?

No.

It only takes one nail to hang the picture.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

... ... What's the difference between Jesus and a picture of Jesus ..?

Because we didn't live back then or I didn't (so I'm going to use an I statement here)...so I assumed you both were speaking about the way Jesus is usually depicted (in pictures/paintings)...as white skinned, blue eyes.

But, it's not really important.  It's splitting hairs now, imo.  

Edited by FairreLilette

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

For me,That is what the relationship is about.. It is a very personal one between me and my creator..The Universe, which makes that a truth that has brought a peace and enlightenment like I never felt before..

I'm sorry for carrying on so much..I kind of get lost  in things sometimes and tend to ramble on.. hehehehe

I love your ramblings. :) Good, honest, ramblings, from the heart. ❤️

I just wanted to quickly say I completely agree with the bedrock of your statement here. Me? I don't even go to Church -- I find it mundane, but primarily simply utterly unnecessary. If I want to talk to God, I simply do. No silly building needed for that. If it means something to other ppl, more power to them, of course; but the relationship between me and God is simply Soul-to-soul. And I feel She's okay with that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dhyaanee said:

That sparked an interesting insight for me. I think we could compare Taylor Swift to a religion in it's own mini way here on the forum. Nothing wrong with people wanting to find commonality, to bond over what they've determined the truth to be, to find comfort in making a truth out of the chaos of life (that truth for them being that Taylor Swift is AWESOME). I certainly wouldn't find any value in taking that away from them. But what if (not that anyone here has done so) they insisted everybody else believe this, or treated badly those who did not get with the Taylor Swift program, even excluding them in the positive reinforcement group membership can bring?  Here we see both the value of 'religion' and the problems that can develop from it.

^^ Very good post! 👍

• Thanks 1

I don't advocate making fun of anyone for their beliefs, even if I find them absurd or don't understand them. It's rude really.  But I do get why some do make fun of religion as so many people have been oppressed throughout the ages and even today, by religious people who believe only they have the truth. So making fun, in some cases, is a bit of a hit back for what amounts to abuse.

Edited by Dhyaanee
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:
6 minutes ago, Dhyaanee said:

Sometimes they are don't you think?

If so, I haven't seen it in this thread yet, though. Just ppl telling light-hearted jokes.

Fair enough, that you are referring only to this thread and what you've seen.

From my perspective I've seen a bit of making fun on this thread, but a very tiny amount.

Anyone posting seriously in this thread should have known it would come to snarking and hurt feelings. The only way to deal with it is humor, and as we have seen that was pretty much doomed to fail as well for various reasons. The topic screamed "here's a place to kerfuffle." There's a reason why a lot of places have a "no politics, no religion" policies. I'm of the mind that both should be allowed, but if people know they are going to be triggered by either then why join the thread? If "humor" isn't your thing, if "humor and religion" together are worse then why subject yourself to frustration and hurt? But, I know not everyone thinks that way. If the last thing you want to do is argue politics then I wouldn't suggest jumping into a thread that is titled "let's argue politics today!"

That's one reason I* started the COVID thread, so people who did want to talk about it had a place to, and so maybe, just maybe, it would stay out the 10,000 threads it was showing up in at the time, (ETA) and some people including me, just didn't want to talk about it 24/7. It worked, sort of. Sadly the feelings thread got blown up because, in part, to misplaced COVID rantings.

As to the OP, I didn't find the premise funny. I agreed with the post Scylla made a few pages back. As to some of the jokes in this thread, absolutely funny. But then I'm not squeamish about such things, which is why I'm here.

I don't like spiders. I wouldn't post "stop talking about spiders" in a thread titled "Spiders! The best things ever! Discuss!" I'd just scroll past the OP, like I do 80% of the threads here.

Just sayin'

*Not like I've been trying to hide it, at all, but in case y'all haven't figured it out, this is the alt of Seicher Rae.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dhyaanee said:

The forum has been inundated with Taylor Swift stuff for a few days now.  I never saw it before here on the forums?  I don't want to see Taylor Swift stuff on FB either.  But, of course if others do, that's up to them.   But, I needed a break from it.  It was getting into overkill territory.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Because we didn't live back then or I didn't (so I'm going to use an I statement here)...so I assumed you both were speaking about the way Jesus is usually depicted (in pictures/paintings)...as white skinned, blue eyes.

But, it's not really important.  It's splitting hairs now, imo.  

Oh, that part was what I referred to yesterday. 

Today, I just saw the 'nail on the head' and thought about a joke that I find funny. Of course, a joke tends to be less funny if you have to explain it, so meh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The forum has been inundated with Taylor Swift stuff for a few days now.  I never saw it before here on the forums?  I don't want to see Taylor Swift stuff on FB either.  But, of course if others do, that's up to them.   But, I needed a break from it.  It was getting into overkill territory.  

I'm just so glad Justin Bieber didn't get mentioned..

0o

Dammit !! I did it again! \o/

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

If you don't like something on the forums, the scroll button is there for you.  I am not a Taylor Swift fan but thats not the point.  If its not something I am interested in, I scroll.   I just saw it as people connecting in an amusing way.  Which is more fun and lighthearted  than how a lot of others choose to connect on the forums.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I can understand that. But if it's causing no harm in the forum might be best not to bring up a whole lot of things you differ on. The group might think you are wanting a fight and so turn against you.  Pick your battles wisely, I say   :)

• Like 1

Just now, Dhyaanee said:

I don't advocate making fun of anyone for their beliefs, even if I find them absurd or don't understand them. It's rude really.  But I do get why some do make fun of religion as so many people have been oppressed throughout the ages and even today, by religious people who believe only they have the truth. So making fun, in some cases, is a bit of a hit back for what amounts to abuse in some cases (some types of religious oppression).

I'm not Scylla. For one, she remembers stuff, and I keep forgetting things. 😊 My point being, there's this psychiatrist (who's name I forgot, doh), who basically splits up religious experiences in 4 stages:

1) Chaos (where ppl believe in nothing);

2) Organized Religion (where I'd say most ppl are, to date);

4) In this stage ppl simply believe because they want to, with their soul, and not because they have to, or out of fear. It's the highest state.

All this long-winded intro, just to get to stage

3) This is the pertinent stage at hand here, as it's the phase where ppl have abandoned organized religion, and are free-thinkers, as it were. Feeling liberated from organized religion, rites, must-do's, fear-mongering and what not, ppl in this stage are often acting out rebelliously against organized religion. Not out of disrespect, but simply for finally being free, and letting 'them' know it. And I think that's a lot of what we're seeing here.

So, again, I think you are 100% right. And I find it very encouraging to see you were able to so sharply identify this 3rd phase (while you may not even be aware of this psychiatrist's work). Me, I needed his book. 😁 So, kudos on you for yet another great post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.