What would you do if Linden Lab took away your legs and everything below your waist?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It seems that for some odd reason Facebook and Microsoft think legs are vestigial appendages. What if LL did the same thing to be like them? How would this affect you? 

Cry because now my 47564857 pairs of shoes are useless!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

29 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It seems that for some odd reason Facebook and Microsoft think legs are vestigial appendages. What if LL did the same thing to be like them? How would this affect you? 

I think LL wouldn't have a world if it didn't have legs and of course I would cry over my 30L sneakers but also the ability to walk normally instead of hovering like Rosy the Robot.

I protested these legless wonders at FB the minute I saw them, on Twitter, and this guy who actually designs them got into an argument with me. I showed him all these wonders of SL -- everything from intricate ballet and dance performances to tinies river-dancing, not to mention the many things legs do on a PG couch, let alone anything adult.

While the benefits of "nothing below the waist" seem to be all about sex, I was told that it's because it is hard to design for legs folding, crossing, doing *something* to get tucked around a chair neatly. Apparently it was too hard to do this gracefully so they just got rid of them. I was puzzled at that, because there are poses in SL that have everything from standing on your head on a chair to man-spreading to tucking in "Japanese sit". It made no sense.

He insisted that this was a limitation in virtual reality done with goggles, as distinct from our kind of world done with duct tape and spare parts (to hear techs criticize it, although I think it is superior to VR worlds requiring goggles).

I don't believe him, but apparently there is something to that notion, and in any event, since the Horizons use-case was work meetings, it seemed you didn't need legs.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

they won't .. it would kill  100% of their adult source income...and it's about 75% of their total.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn’t have to find shoes, pants, or otherwise for my new body. 😂

in all seriousness though I enjoy feeling like a complete and functional being in SL and loosing half of me would just feel wrong. I still insist on having bathrooms in my homes despite ripping all the scripts out… just something about the immersion I guess. 

Edited by Dyna Mole
redacted by moderator
  • Like 1

I'd just have to start shooting my avies waist-up.

I'm not worried though, it's not like it's a feasible option for LL anyway - they're not the creators of the bodies people wear; people can make anything they want to be their avatar. And if they somehow disabled our ability to design our own avatars and our own content, well, SL would die overnight. 

• Like 3

I would sit right down on my little stub waist and create a flower, planting it on the gravesite mound at the funeral for my lower body burial.

And then, I would create a big shoe for my waist to sit on (not a pair of shoes, only one would be needed for my waist, after all). Maybe give it a high heel, just for the sexy.

• Like 2

It is a bit dumb that Facebook wants to ban half of the human body for being controversial.

inb4 people start getting amputations to be 'inclusive'

I'd probably just stop playing SL to be honest. I like that SecondLife is mature enough to accept human bodies and human behaviors for what they are.  Facebook seems to want to treat grown adults as children.

• Like 1

First, I would tell LL how stupid they are for wasting all the work they put into solving making a human avatar walk in the first place. Then I would take all my "toys" and leave when they insist on treating adults like children. It won't be the first time and I had hoped the first time would be the last and only.

If I want to be around children there are tons of MMOs out there geared towards children. The one I do have a lifetime sub to I haven't played in about 3 years now. SL is not the place for children. Yes, LL has made some accommodations for 13- 16 year olds but the grid is geared for adults and always has been. Including children was a last minute thing. They weren't going to.

2 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

It is a bit dumb that Facebook wants to ban half of the human body for being controversial.

I don't think it's that cut and dry, yes there is certainly a techbro aversion to anything adult happening in a virtual world (perhaps SL's only last legacy), but from a practical perspective .. not having legs provides several technical benefits. 

A greater proportion of the avatar poly budget can be spent on heads, hair and related accessories. Remember, they are targeting a much lighter hardware platform.

Legs can be nightmarish to real-time animate procedurally and from a marketing standpoint, no legs is a better criticism than duck walking or weird uncanny behaviors.

Controlling the narrative is the most important part of the entire venture at this point, there will be lots of criticism and negative press so providing such an obvious omission for media to latch onto is intentional.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.