What would you do if Linden Lab took away your legs and everything below your waist?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Without legs I would suppose they do not require a physics engine as there is no need for the feet to follow the contours of a floor or the ground. I imagine that would save them a pile of cpu cycles having to calculate all that for everyone in the space.

They still need physics, they just don't need to worry about what happens at the intersection of the avatar model and the physics ground.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why do they need physics? Virtual worlds like IMVU don't so what is it about Horizons that it would?

It depends on what sort of world you want to provide. IMVU doesn't have physics because it doesn't actually have physical movement and interaction. Your avatar teleports from one pose point to another, whether they are five feet apart or in a completely different "room". If you want a world where avatars fly about, you can still do without physics. But if you want objects and people to fall to the ground, respond when hit or bumped, respond to the force of the wind, etc., then you need physics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Without legs I would suppose they do not require a physics engine as there is no need for the feet to follow the contours of a floor or the ground. I imagine that would save them a pile of cpu cycles having to calculate all that for everyone in the space.

If the physics engine goes away so do cars, boats and any other form of "transportation". And likely a bunch of things I'm not thinking about at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If the physics engine goes away so do cars, boats and any other form of "transportation". And likely a bunch of things I'm not thinking about at the moment.

I know of people in Opensim at least and probably S/L too that use a some sort of script that does not involve physics to move their vehicles like roller coasters and such.

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I know of people in Opensim at least and probably S/L too that use a some sort of script that does not involve physics to move their vehicles like roller coasters and such.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/PhysicsEngines#:~:text=Introduction,-Note%3A Much of&text=The physics engines currently available,be seen in the OpenSim.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Physics_Engine_Interface

Edit: https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2019/10/new-opensim-release/

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Roller coasters are faked as its easier to just give the cart the exact sequence of points it needs to pass though, the fact it looks like there is a track is irrelevant.

Physics is needed when one object has to freely move in relation to another in an arbitrary manner. 

You can fake it, but for roaming around it rapidly becomes easier to just have a physics model.

The big difference with SL and OS vs games is this is done entirely on the server. There needs to be a local physics engine that updates the server, this saves a round trip and makes movement far more responsive - like you know how SL just feels different from a game, that's why, and it's bad.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Oh right, thanks for reminding me the first link is out of date as it does not mention the ubode physics engine. The second link talks about scripting engines, specifically the new Y engine.

I'm not a scripter but I am pretty sure that there is a method of giving vehicles a motive power that does not involve physics. I'll have to ask a friend who does them what the commands are.

Oh right, thanks for reminding me the first link is out of date as it does not mention the ubode physics engine. The second link talks about scripting engines, specifically the new Y engine.

I'm not a scripter but I am pretty sure that there is a method of giving vehicles a motive power that does not involve physics. I'll have to ask a friend who does them what the commands are.

I never said there wasn't a way to script it. I simply gave you the links to show you there is a physics engine as you seemed to think there wasn't one.

In SL in order to move the vehicle you not only need the physics engine you also need to script the vehicle. My RL husband builds motorcycles and cars in SL but he refuses to offer his products in OS because of the lack of good physics. I have built my share of planes, cars and bikes as well. 

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I never said there wasn't a way to script it. I simply gave you the links to show you there is a physics engine as you seemed to think there wasn't one.

In SL in order to move the vehicle you not only need the physics engine you also need to script the vehicle. My RL husband builds motorcycles and cars in SL but he refuses to offer his products in OS because of the lack of good physics. I have built my share of planes, cars and bikes as well. 

I am well aware that OS has physics engines, several in fact, I was simply stating that there are other ways to move vehicles than just physics. Years ago I had the taoflyer in S/L that didn't require it if memory serves correct. Same possibly with my MystiTool that has several functions that use something other than physics.

Might mention to your husband to try the UbOde physics engine in OS as it is quite good and realistic and is in some ways better than Havok. There is an UbOde physics sandbox in Osgrid if he was looking for a quick place to check it out. My understanding is that combined with the Y scripting engine, it might work right out of the box with an S/L vehicle.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I am well aware that OS has physics engines, several in fact, I was simply stating that there are other ways to move vehicles than just physics. Years ago I had the taoflyer in S/L that didn't require it if memory serves correct. Same possibly with my MystiTool that has several functions that use something other than physics.

Might mention to your husband to try the UbOde physics engine in OS as it is quite good and realistic and is in some ways better than Havok. There is an UbOde physics sandbox in Osgrid if he was looking for a quick place to check it out. My understanding is that combined with the Y scripting engine, it might work right out of the box with an S/L vehicle.

You mention it to him. Be sure you wear ear plugs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.