Not registering to vote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has Linden Lab forgotten that not all of the residents in Second Life pass their actual lives within the borders of the United States?  The latest blog entry called 'Register to Vote' blithely tells me that my voice matters, that I can register to vote online, and to check if my state requires identification.  Well, no, my voice doesn't matter in this instance, I'm not qualified to vote, and I do not live in a state.  I understand where this is coming from; I imagine the blog writer found it hard not to display a political bias.  Now is it so hard for them to open their mind so far as to realise that for a good portion of residents, this blog entry is saying we are irrelevant?  All it required was a simple disclaimer that the intended audience was U.S. only but we don't merit even that.  If Linden Lab wishes to enjoy an international presence it needs to acknowledge its international residents' reality.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I get where your coming from and this is just a guess, but the disclaimer probably wasn't added since it is common knowledge LL is a U.S. based company so they probably didn't think it'd be an issue. No other mmo gives a special notice on something intended for an audience that was U.S. only. Why should LL be any different? No one seems to take issue when they were advertising BLM crap so why is advertising voting in the states a thing? I mean personally I ignore it, but if ya ask me I think politics in general need to not be on it at all to avoid these type of conversations in the first place considering most of us play mmos to escape all that nonsense mate. ;)

Also editing to add on a side note to this comment. If Linden Lab wishes to enjoy an international presence it needs to acknowledge its international residents' reality. I think it's in fact the opposite. If people from other countries want to use a U.S. based service then they should acknowledge the fact and reality they may read some U.S. based content. That would be like me playing an MMO based in another country like China and complaining about notices regarding the Chinese government that may or may not impact said mmo. I'm just saying mate. lol :)

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 10

the blog helped to remind me that I have to vote in my own country's election. The last day to vote for me is Saturday 17 October.  I keep walking past my EasyVote Card stuck on my fridge door and thinking I better do that.  Is not like the early voting place isn't less than 200 metres from my door on the way to the shops, it is

about the international people in other countries as well. There are at least 32 government-level elections around the world between now and the end of the year

Tanzania, Ivory Coast, Seychelles, Burkina Faso, Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Tajikstan, Myanmar, Indonesia, Cyprus, Lithuania, Georgia, Portugal (Azores), Moldova, Bosnia, Romania, United States and Territories, Netherlands (Sint Eustatius), Canada (British Columbia & Saskatchewan), Belize, St Vincent and Grenadines, Bolivia, Chile, Brazil, Venezuela, Jordan, Kuwait, Australia (ACT & Queensland), New Zealand, Palau

so if the blog post prompted anyone from all these countries to remember that their own elections are coming up soon, then is all good

Edited by Mollymews
au
  • Like 6

While the blog doesn't adress me (I'm not a US citizen), I do not mind it. The US seems to be set up to put the effort of voting on the citizen, instead of handing it you on a silver platter (thats just my impression so far, I might be wrong about it). If it helps to motivate one person to go, its good.

Also I'm used to companies not considering Europe in their thinking and drowned in "US this, US that".

• Like 3

I'm quite happy to accept that I'm using a US company's MMO facility, hosted on US servers (I think!) and controlled from within the US. No surprises, therefore, that a fair degree of US material will appear.

I would, however, be delighted if a total ban were to be applied to anything even remotely political - from any country. Second Life is our escape from real life. Having elements of real life dragged in bursts that bubble.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Anything that encourages people to exercise their franchise is fine in my book.

Anyone who does not think that politics in RL does not have an impact on their SL has a short memory. (OK 2009 may be a bit too far back but look up SL in Australia for an easy to find example)

• Like 3

While the message is directed at US citizens it is relevant to anyone anywhere who believes in democracy. 

Democracy doesn't always have good outcomes, as we've seen in recent years, but it gives a chance for people to reverse previous decisions after a few years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

(OK 2009 may be a bit too far back but look up SL in Australia for an easy to find example)

that issue was't just only Aussies, it also been on the EU agenda, and it's not really directly related to election, but politics, nearly the same for many, but a huge difference.
It's that we moved on a bit, but with the rules from then, SL now would have serious explaining to do about some things. Not only the adult content, but also copyrights, customer rights and a few more ( with offices, like they had in London, Amsterdam, and a few more they would have to use the consumers rights as in the EU ..totally different from the USA)

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Has Linden Lab forgotten that not all of the residents in Second Life pass their actual lives within the borders of the United States?  The latest blog entry called 'Register to Vote' blithely tells me that my voice matters, that I can register to vote online, and to check if my state requires identification.  Well, no, my voice doesn't matter in this instance, I'm not qualified to vote, and I do not live in a state.  I understand where this is coming from; I imagine the blog writer found it hard not to display a political bias.  Now is it so hard for them to open their mind so far as to realise that for a good portion of residents, this blog entry is saying we are irrelevant?  All it required was a simple disclaimer that the intended audience was U.S. only but we don't merit even that.  If Linden Lab wishes to enjoy an international presence it needs to acknowledge its international residents' reality.

Theresa Tennyson, Mistress of Time and Space, slips into the parallel universe where that disclaimer was actually posted. Interestingly enough, someone posted the same post word for word, only the red line was changed to, "All it required was a simple ISP location check that only showed the message to people in the U.S. only we don't merit even that."

• Haha 1

What I am confused about is LL went on about "NO POLITICAL ADVERTISEMENTS", then they go on and advertise politics, which is sending mixed messages. I only bring this up because:

I checked out the location that was mentioned, and it is clear there is a undertone of "you know who we want to win" going on there(not the "simulated" results). I have doubts about the "simulation" being genuine. It seems as effective as a dowsing rod to me.

From Wikipedia: Dowsing is a pseudoscience. There is no scientific evidence that it's any more effective than random chance. Dowsers often achieve good results because random chance has a high probability of finding water in favourable terrain.

I.E. You set the parameters in your favour, you'll achieve good results in your favour.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

logo_rijksoverheid.png.c4194097f1c3354f5b8b0fab7a2039ba.png

Public announcement for everyone who lives within the borders of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and is of Dutch citizenship: whenever you change address, register your new address at the local residents registration office. This will ensure that you will be sent a voting pass, a list of candidates and a booklet with instructions, one month in advance of every single election thereafter, completely for free, until you move out or until your next of kin provides a copy of your death certificate. So, whenever you move to another residence: register!

stempas.thumb.jpg.6e08499c5c2317176e445cf7969e9ff7.jpg

So what do you do before every single election? Absolutely nothing.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 4

It is perfectly normal for a US based company to do something like this when such an important event is coming up. To complain about it sort shows how entitlement minded someone is that they think the company should only talk about stuff they want to see.. 

Sorry it doesnt work that way and never will.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I don't think they have forgotten, but they will be aware that the majority of SL users are US-based so it makes sense to put a reminder in.

I wasn't aware of the blog post but I took a look at it and I think the illustration at the top of the article is clear and sufficient as a disclaimer that the post refers to the US only. I don't think it needs any additional text to clarify.

In any case it can also serve as a reminder for people in other countries to register too, at least for those of us fortunate enough to live in a country where we still have a right to vote.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm not a US citizen but I don't mind. The most important thing is that this will be last chance America gets to vote in an election unless trump is removed, and the ramifications of this are global.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Sorry you felt that way.  I've come to realize that Second Life is a way to get away from politics if we can.  We cannot 100% but I believe that politics if the mods here say leave it out of the forums, should leave it out of the blogs period otherwise they are being hypocrites.  This is our fun time.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Sorry you felt that way.  I've come to realize that Second Life is a way to get away from politics if we can.  We cannot 100% but I believe that politics if the mods here say leave it out of the forums, should leave it out of the blogs period.  This is our fun time.  

blogs and the forums are two separate entities with different rules pertaining to both. what might not be allowed in one may be allowed in the other. especially since the one in question is run by the company, which has total control and power over what is and is not allowed and doesnt really have to care what anyone else thinks about what they say or why.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.