Not registering to vote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

btw...who is this "sixteen-year-old genderqueer citizen' you'll be voting for?

TBH, I find the question to be confusingly inappropriate, even outside the context of privacy-protection for elections, I simply would never divulge this person's exact identity or location or how they choose to express themselves politically through the vote, and that's before even considering the fact that they are a vulnerable young individual in a country whose government literally wants them to die and disappear from the world because of intrinsic qualities of who they are. Why did you even ask this? What answer did you expect me to provide to you?

Edited by Chroma Starlight

3 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

btw...who is this "sixteen-year-old genderqueer citizen' you'll be voting for?

TBH, I find the question to be confusingly inappropriate, even outside the context of privacy-protection for elections, I simply would never divulge this person's exact identity or location, and that's before even considering the fact that they are a vulnerable young individual in a country whose government literally wants them to die and disappear from the world because of intrinsic qualities of who they are.

I thought this was somebody on the ballot...as you said you'd vote for them?  And so privacy would not be an issue in such a case.  Of course they'd be way too young to qualify -- hence I was doubly confused due to both age and not ever hearing of such a person.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I thought this was somebody on the ballot...as you said you'd vote for them?   Of course they'd be way too young to qualify -- hence I was doubly confused due to both age and not ever hearing of such a person.

As I said, I will give my vote to this underage citizen so that something hopeful can be done with it. As in literally, I will vote for them, as in literally, their voting preference will be expressed through me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I thought this was somebody on the ballot...as you said you'd vote for them?   Of course they'd be way too young to qualify -- hence I was doubly confused due to both age and not ever hearing of such a person.

As I said, I will give my vote to this underage citizen so that something hopeful can be done with it. As in literally, I will vote for them, as in literally, their voting preference will be expressed through me.

How can you literally vote for somebody not on the ticket in the US?  Or are you meaning symbolically?

Ahh...you are meaning you know this young person who lives in a terribly oppressed country and will vote their preferences in our election?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

How can you literally vote for somebody not on the ticket in the US?  Or are you meaning symbolically?

The phrase "to vote for" has multiple possible meanings in the English language.

It might mean "to cast a ballot for a specific candidate" or it might mean "to do someone's ballot casting for them."

In this case, from the context, clearly the second meaning was intended.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The phrase "to vote for" has multiple possible meanings in the English language.

It might mean "to cast a ballot for a specific candidate" or it might mean "to do someone's ballot casting for them."

In this case, from the context, clearly the second meaning was intended.

You know how you edited your post many times yesterday?  I copied it from one of the edits yesterday so as to eventually respond. Indeed your meaning is much clearer now.

* I didn't read it again as I grabbed it to respond to today.

Anyway, I think that's great....to vote in situ for the disenfranchised in any country...

Edited by Luna Bliss

You know how you edited your post many times yesterday?  I copied it from one of the edits yesterday so as to eventually respond. Indeed your meaning is much clearer now.

No, I don't really think I edited what I said about this individual or their vote, even if I did tone down the commentary and judgement about the system itself.

2 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

No, I don't really think I edited what I said about this individual or their vote, even if I did tone down the commentary and judgement about the system itself.

Before, you said you were going to "vote for" this young person, but in your recent edit you said you would "give voice to"....hence my confusion.

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Before, you said you were going to "vote for" this young person, but in your recent edit you said you would "give voice to"....hence my confusion.

As above, they are the same meaning in this context.

Good morning to you.

Yes....same meaning for you.

Good morning.

Anyway, I wish you had not edited that post (other than this clarification on the 16-year-old), as you had a number of interesting turns of phrase, such as:

"At the moment, it seems we are a people with a home invasion rather than a home". 

and

"Oppressive edifice of patriarchy"

Yes....same meaning for you.

Good morning.

Anyway, I wish you had not edited that post (other than this clarification on the 16-year-old), as you had a number of interesting turns of phrase, such as:

"At the moment, it seems we are a people with a home invasion rather than a home". 

and

"Oppressive edifice of patriarchy"

Same meaning by virtue of words and language and context. I'm sorry that replacing a word you yourself seem to agree was ambiguous with one that was more clear is causing this much distraction. The fact of the matter is, I'll post something, read it, and often want to develop the idea further so that it arrives at a point of completion or is somehow more appropriate. You could argue that's a good reason to measure twice and cut once, and I don't disagree but sometimes that's just not how it goes. Moving on.

Those other things are entirely controversial, aren't they? I'm sure the moderates would agree they're verging off-topic. Regardless, they probably at least deserve their own conversations for examining more broadly the present context of 2020 in some kind of historical light. For now, I hope we can all agree institutionalized misogyny is an ongoing unresolved and anachronistic cultural problem in some pockets of the world because, after all, the future is not evenly distributed.

20 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

or now, I hope we can all agree institutionalized misogyny is an ongoing unresolved and anachronistic cultural problem in some pockets of the world because, after all, the future is not evenly distributed.

Unfortunately misogyny is still a problem here too, and we are in danger of losing what rights we were finally able to attain should the court become too conservative via Amy Coney Barrett.  Women need to be able to control their own bodies.

* Not to mention the loss of LGBTQI rights on the chopping block with a backwards administration running the show..

For the radical right, what they can't control they hate -- this is why I apply the word 'misogyny'.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Now, back to what's really important.

5369a4668d78b714a3ed67cbb82ce493--animal-memes-funny-animals.jpg

Poor women dying from back-alley abortions again while the wealthy find ways to pay for them as has been the case in the past.....is not drama.   Unless you mean people dying unnecessarily is not important to you?  I could believe that of you...

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I heartily approve of cats, though I don't care much for popcorn because of the bits that get stuck in my teeth, and would much rather have the topic derailed by them than by people dropping in just to be unpleasant.  It might be as well to ask for the topic to be locked since the point has been made, and reporting it would get the attention of at least one Linden, but I'm not going to do that, if at all, until I've seen some more cats so by all means bring on the felines.  Without politics, if you please.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Poor women dying from back-alley abortions again while the wealthy find ways to pay for them as has been the case in the past.....is not drama.   Unless you mean people dying unnecessarily is not important to you?  I could believe that of you...

Believe whatever you'd like.  The OP just wanted more cat pics not politics.  Maybe start your own political thread?  But then, you rarely listen to what anyone else has to say.  

Carry on.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:
28 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Believe whatever you'd like.  The OP just wanted more cat pics not politics.  Maybe start your own political thread?  But then, you rarely listen to what anyone else has to say.  

Carry on.

An OP does not control any thread they initiate.

It's very wise that LL did not direct their blog post specifically to any one country as the OP desires, because someone from outside the US might understand the grave importance due to what we are facing in this election, and see fit to remind a US friend to vote.

The ongoing discussion only clarifies the importance. We are talking about authoritarianism, though no doubt you have no clue what this means.

If it bothers you then don't read my posts -- that's what Ignore is for.

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 hours ago, Scorpiiar said:
9 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I heartily approve of cats, though I don't care much for popcorn because of the bits that get stuck in my teeth

Seriously - do popcorn lovers not have this problem? I always get that thin shell stuff wedged between my gums and my teeth - drives me nuts.

I get the kernels stuck all the time also.  It just encourages me to floss lots more.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I get the kernels stuck all the time also.  It just encourages me to floss lots more.

It does for me too although I swear, there is always that one husk? shell? that shows up a day later when you thought you got them all.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

23 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

It does for me too although I swear, there is always that one husk? shell? that shows up a day later when you thought you got them all.

That is what happens when the blasted things latch onto your tongue like a leech. You don't notice it until the next day.

If I ever try eating popcorn again and it happens, maybe I should just use floss on my tongue?

200.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That is what happens when the blasted things latch onto your tongue like a leech. You don't notice it until the next day.

If I ever try eating popcorn again and it happens, maybe I should just use floss on my tongue?

200.gif

My cats have never gotten into the dental floss but they are the reason I can't use tinsel on my Christmas tree.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Am I the only one that those damnable kernel shells get vacuumized to the tongue? And it just. won't. come. unstuck. no matter what you do?

YY9UJHw.gif

I have the same problem with the skins of tomatoes, peppers, grapes .. almost anything.  I am a practised gargler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

An OP does not control any thread they initiate.

Of course I don't control the thread but I do hope for some sense of context, ambience, and courtesy.  Most of us feel like a break from politics, and there are plenty of other topics to invade join.   Sadly, the wet blanket here is moving me to call for a lock.  Happy Hallowe'en.

Black Cat with Pumpkins.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.