Do most people stay with the SL day cycle or just set their viewer to noon?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Never been a fan of the SL day cycle and have tended to stick with static day-cycles.  I often used to use Midday and Midnight much more than I do when using the FS-EEP viewer but those presets just don't seem right any more.  Now I just use custom settings with a static day-cycle on EEP.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
correction.

I use the LL viewer with EEP and have my personal lighting set to about 7am with lots of ambient light. Thankfully, LL made this a persistent setting. I do switch to shared environment lighting if a parcel appears to be nicely designed and there is a possibility that the parcel owner has set up parcel lighting.

I do a combination, depending on what I'm doing, where I am and what part of the day cycle it is. I always like to see what the shared experience environment is for a parcel. I like the different parts of the day cycle, especially sunrises and sunsets, and I actually like the EEP night stars, too.  If it's the night part of the cycle, and I'm doing something where I need better lighting to see well, if I'm on my parcel I will change it to a lighter section of the day cycle, or if I can't change that, I've found a couple of existing EEP skies that are not on a day cycle that I like and I'll switch to one of them.  I use the Kokua viewer which uses EEP.

48 minutes ago, animats said:

Do most users actually stay with the SL day cycle (a 4 hour day, with one hour totally dark) or set their viewer to Midday and stay there? Has that changed since EEP?

Noon always noon.. don't care about eep or any special mood lighting that sim owners may want to choose. I find day cycles pointless.. and mood lighting wasteful.

• Like 1

I don't have the EEP viewer, but normally I will use the estate settings. I like to see the progress of time, but if the settings in an area are too weird for me I will go to a sunset or sunrise. Noon windlights have harsh shadows and makes everyone look ugly to me. 

Edited by Aethelwine

1 hour ago, animats said:

Do most users actually stay with the SL day cycle (a 4 hour day, with one hour totally dark) or set their viewer to Midday and stay there? Has that changed since EEP?

Neither, I use "Nams Optimum Skin & Prim" and leave it there. EEP hasn't reached Firestorm yet and I won't even look at it until it does.

EEP doesn't exist. (it's not in my viewer)
The default SL day is irrelevant. (and btw. the lighting looks like crap lately so it's never used)
I set a WL theme by location and mood. That's my night WL or my day WL or space WL (when in space)

Interesting effect: if I TP somewhere with a dark WL on and I see not much because there are zero light sources - I know the builder has lo graphic (because he doesnt seem to know that a roof casts a shadow) and uses most probably midday all the time. However - I can always switch the light on if I want to stay. I have a couple of WL's ready for all situations.

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

But I tend to use the standard so I can see how others are seeing me.

Generally I do the same. Normally I feel there's no point constantly optimising local WL (other than when taking photos, of course), when this has no affect on how others see me. But it's always disappointing that so often the estate time makes me look as if I have some terrible skin disease....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.