LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Being in acquisition limbo too long is not good for the organization. A company in this state can't hire good people. Any potential new hire with other good options will avoid getting into such a situation. Internally, people will work on their resumes and start looking around for another job, just in case. The company can't do anything which would substantially change their valuation,  because then they'd have to renegotiate on price. New projects tend to be put on hold both for that reason and general uncertainty.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Let's be grateful we are still here. 

""Second Life is an older, very established cash machine that works really well" - Altberg. As long as that's the case, we don't need to worry too much about a shutdown.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, animats said:

Being in acquisition limbo too long is not good for the organization. A company in this state can't hire good people. Any potential new hire with other good options will avoid getting into such a situation. Internally, people will work on their resumes and start looking around for another job, just in case. The company can't do anything which would substantially change their valuation,  because then they'd have to renegotiate on price. New projects tend to be put on hold both for that reason and general uncertainty.

"" Second Life is an older, very established cash machine that works really well" - Altberg. As long as that's the case, we don't need to worry too much about a shutdown.

I think it's coming first quarter or 2nd quarter,  covid kinda borked things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

""Second Life is an older, very established cash machine that works really well" - Altberg. As long as that's the case, we don't need to worry too much about a shutdown.

I agree but that doesn't keep me from worrying. I have been on way too many platforms that closed (most abruptly with no notice).  So personally I am going to enjoy my time here -- almost 13 years. 

Appreciate your insights.  Keeping my mouth shut about other things I could say LOL.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling damn it

From a thread this morning on how to test textures for clothing. Sorry. Not sure why it pasted in so big but don't see a way to fix that. 

""So you might know that are occurring some issues with the beta grid and will take several weeks to fix at according to what support said."

16 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I think it's coming first quarter or 2nd quarter,  covid kinda borked things.

Indeed, Covid has FUBARed pretty much everything...

A casual time in a grocery store? NOPE! Here comes the horde to stock up on things and cause traffic congestion in the isles.

... Everytime. Every bloody time I swear...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Right-click > Paste as plain text

I can't as I use a dark reader and text comes in wrong and terribly tiny so I had to type it over in email. That is where the big type came from.  The right click and paste option for me would be unreadable for many people when pasted in. Messy I know.  

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I can't as I use a dark reader and text comes in wrong and terribly tiny so I had to type it over in email. That is where the big type came from.  The right click and paste option for me would be unreadable for many people when pasted in. Messy I know.  

Weird, I use Dark Reader as well and text tends to paste wrong if I don't use "paste as plain text."

This text/post editor is so awkward and tedious.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, animats said:

"Second Life is an older, very established cash machine that works really well" - Altberg. As long as that's the case, we don't need to worry too much about a shutdown.

However, the so called "stimulus" that finally passed in America was only a $600 payment plus a $300 hundred dollar a week unemployment, which is below California living level if single.  California has been in lockdown for three weeks and lockdown is going to extended beyond the three weeks now.  A one time $600 hundred dollar payment and 300 hundred dollars a week for Californians is not enough.  It's expensive to live here.  So, it's a reverse stimulus as far as I can see in that if people have had to put things on credit cards just to live and are behind in payments, they don't want to spend money so it's a reserve stimulus now.  New York has also had lockdowns though I don't know much of the details nor what's actually going on in all states.

So, the above could change.  

• Like 1

Probably important to note that this quote below was from MARCH of 2020  from an Engadget interview,  and at a time when we had just begun to immerse ourselves in the COVID drama and not long after Sansar had been acquired by Wookey.   I never logged into Sansar after Wookey took over. 

Sansar is still there, but it is not the Sansar that I wanted to be a part of.  Things have changed there. Things have changed here. We only have to wait to see how the future plays out. I am hoping for the best, but obviously I have no control over anything except my response to whatever happens. 

image.png.61437f71089cee01ab3e973619a4ebfd.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While the owners may be new, things are “business as usual” in Second Life. Last year saw strong growth for our virtual world and, as a result of this acquisition we expect even more resources in 2021 to further improve and grow Second Life in the future.

Unless they hire people that have the innovation and skills to develop/evolve features that will attract new users it will most definitely be "business as usual" for years to come.

• Like 2

While the owners may be new, things are “business as usual” in Second Life.

we'r  doomed .. i seriously hope it won't be business as usual.
Many companies let employees change seats every few years for a reason; fresh looks and fresh ideas. Perhaps here some should to, it's rare in companies that long seating people don't create own "kingdoms"

On 12/22/2020 at 9:01 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Use notepad instead. As far i know you can set the font size for reading on your screen.  And it rips all the html crap off. Or just write it in there and copy paste it to forum

6 minutes ago, Micaela Mercury said:

I don't understand why this news is brought to us as a footnote to "news" that is really days old already. It now comes over as if they are thinking "Well we have to tell them but we rather have that not to many see it"

Well, they did make a standalone announcement about the acquisition in the past.

I imagine most people who read it assumed that it was guaranteed to happen soon, or practically did already. That's definitely how it was being talked about.

It's very tiring to see people assume malicious intent in everything.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4

True, but I'm just mystified that there is no indication in the title that it's about anything else but the cloud uplift. We were promised to hear more about it all after the deal went through. When they bring it like this I start to wonder if they changed their mind about that. But time will tell.

My hope is that all this "future growth and improvement"  does not mean a lot more bells and whistles, gadgets, gizmos, and such...  but that it truly  means improvement in performance things that have been issues for years and never really fixed...  My biggest hope is they do away with those stupid jelly dolls..  I come in to SL to see people not coloured blobs,  I want to see an avatar..  they need to find a way to make it so we do not have to put up with sub standard fun just because they can't make it work for those with less capable computers.  Now that would be both growth and improvement.  I mean seriously, how long do you think a new account will sick around when all they can see are jelly dolls everywhere, or crash?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.