LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

My biggest hope is they do away with those stupid jelly dolls..  I come in to SL to see people not coloured blobs,  I want to see an avatar.. ...all they can see are jelly dolls everywhere

tbh, i rarely see jelly dolls, and for sure not everywhere. And i don't have a very high complexity level set ..
what's yours?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Many companies let employees change seats every few years for a reason; fresh looks and fresh ideas.

Maybe this is something common in your country or maybe even many other countries, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of this approach in the US.  Not saying there aren't companies that do it here - just saying I don't think it is very widespread here.

Interesting concept. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

My biggest hope is they do away with those stupid jelly dolls..  I come in to SL to see people not coloured blobs,  I want to see an avatar.. 
<snip>
how long do you think a new account will sick around when all they can see are jelly dolls everywhere

The SL viewer defaults showing avatars up to around 350,000 complexity before going to jelly dolls.  I almost never see anyone with that high of complexity anymore, even in the newbie areas.  Not sure where you are hanging out that 350,000 is producing lots of jelly dolls.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The SL viewer defaults showing avatars up to around 350,000 complexity before going to jelly dolls.  I almost never see anyone with that high of complexity anymore, even in the newbie areas.  Not sure where you are hanging out that 350,000 is producing lots of jelly dolls.

Maximum complexity (jellydolls) defaults are DEPENDENT on graphics settings. So if the person commenting on seeing too many jellydolls has there settings on low for example jellydolls will appear at 35,000.   I have mine set purposefully at 33,000 LOL, but mostly I just derender everyone when I go shopping. If I WANT to see someone I am talking to I just right click them and "render fully".  

Not quite sure how this ended up in a "new owner" thread :D.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

My hope is that all this "future growth and improvement"  does not mean a lot more bells and whistles, gadgets, gizmos, and such...  but that it truly  means improvement in performance things that have been issues for years and never really fixed...  My biggest hope is they do away with those stupid jelly dolls..  I come in to SL to see people not coloured blobs,  I want to see an avatar..  they need to find a way to make it so we do not have to put up with sub standard fun just because they can't make it work for those with less capable computers.  Now that would be both growth and improvement.  I mean seriously, how long do you think a new account will sick around when all they can see are jelly dolls everywhere, or crash?????

Regarding seeing avatars as jelly dolls, go to preferences (Ctrl+P). Select the Graphics tab. Move the Avatar Maximum Complexity slider all the way to the right. The value will now read No Limit, and no avatars will be rendered as jelly dolls.

Or, if you set it to 350,000 or lower, you have the option to always render avatars on your friend list fully. You can also add avatars to your Exceptions: those you want to always render fully, whatever your maximum complexity setting, and those you never want to render fully.

In addition, you can right-click on an avatar and select Render Avatar. You are given the choice to always render them, never render them, or render them according to your complexity setting. You're also give access to your exceptions list there.

The controls are laid out differently in Firestorm, and perhaps in other third party viewers, but the effect is the same.

Regarding my comments on Jelly Dolls,  I do not ever see them as I am lucky enough to have a computer that I can just set it so I never see them..  I was actually speaking for folks I have heard complaining about seeing them, mostly new folks I run into in clubs where I work.  I have tried to help some of them with their settings to alleviate some of their frustration.  Thus the comment. 

:D

I was sending an email to my surrogate kid who doesn't do "virtual" or even computers really other than his phone. He does however understand "about" virtual worlds because of course I have been here for a LONG time.   Anyway --

I was explaining that it appears the sale of LL  has gone through with a few formalities needed in the dotting and crossing categories.  And of course we don't know what that might mean - short term or long term.   

The big fear that I hear is about the new investment group is the possibility of  making too many changes. We can look at Sansar as an example I guess. My stuff is still there. I doubt anyone is visiting since EVENTS are all that is pushed these days. But I had fun...

BUT --- and I think this is a happy thought so adding it here.  What IF the new Powers That Be decide to make some changes that make SL oldtimers uncomfortable ? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine that.   I suspect that some clever and far-sighted entrepreneurs would make a new closed grid based on Opensim architecture.  

We would still have our viewer of choice and in many ways Opensim works just fine -- all except that God Mode - no security for creators thing.   All that REALLY needs to happen to make a new grid is for creators to feel that it is worth the effort to upload their previous builds AND that their work won't be stolen easily.    

I suspect there is someone out there already who has figured this out -- and if the new folks are smart they have also foreseen this.  Put the two things together and "I" at least am feeling a bit better.   I would rather not MOVE of course, but I would support a new grid (I have certainly done that many times in the past).    

So sleep well those that are in worry mode. And no, I did NOT read the US news today. Someone gave me a one sentence synopsis and I am doing my best to live virtually and calmly these days.  A healthier mental choice for sure. 

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

:D

I was sending an email to my surrogate kid who doesn't do "virtual" or even computers really other than his phone. He does however understand "about" virtual worlds because of course I have been here for a LONG time.   Anyway --

I was explaining that it appears the sale of LL  has gone through with a few formalities needed in the dotting and crossing categories.  And of course we don't know what that might mean - short term or long term.   

The big fear that I hear is about the new investment group is the possibility of  making too many changes. We can look at Sansar as an example I guess. My stuff is still there. I doubt anyone is visiting since EVENTS are all that is pushed these days. But I had fun...

BUT --- and I think this is a happy thought so adding it here.  What IF the new Powers That Be decide to make some changes that make SL oldtimers uncomfortable ? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine that.   I suspect that some clever and far-sighted entrepreneurs would make a new closed grid based on Opensim architecture.  

We would still have our viewer of choice and in many ways Opensim works just fine -- all except that God Mode - no security for creators thing.   All that REALLY needs to happen to make a new grid is for creators to feel that it is worth the effort to upload their previous builds AND that their work won't be stolen easily.    

I suspect there is someone out there already who has figured this out -- and if the new folks are smart they have also foreseen this.  Put the two things together and "I" at least am feeling a bit better.   I would rather not MOVE of course, but I would support a new grid (I have certainly done that many times in the past).    

So sleep well those that are in worry mode. And no, I did NOT read the US news today. Someone gave me a one sentence synopsis and I am doing my best to live virtually and calmly these days.  A healthier mental choice for sure. 

I would think the new owners would not want to do anything to harm IP rights because that is core to what makes SL successful and profitable for both owners and users.

• Like 1

opensim is not secure, if you allow hypergrid at all, you open it up to people jumping back to their sim and yanking what ever permissions you set,  we tested that in osgrid some years ago and noped right out, it's not changed.    so SL is the only place that all of us are going to be, even if I do tinker with opensim at times, it's not stable or expandable to handle 50k concurrent users.

• Lindens
1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

I keep myself calm by telling myself that investors that know and like Second Life bought out investors that were no longer interested in what Second Life has become.

Long-term investments work differently than what's in many of the previous investors' portfolios. Often it's not a case of whether investors like the companies they own; it's about maintaining a portfolio of companies that benefit from an investor's particular expertise.

At this point, Second Life is appropriate for an owner who has expertise in long-term sustainability. It's not a flashy startup anymore. My perception is that an owner with long-term expertise is where we've ended up. I don't see Second Life as having passed into the hands of somebody who wants it to be something other than Second Life. If nobody told you about the sale, I'd be surprised if many of us even noticed it for a long time.

You'll hear more when everybody is ready, but this was a long process of mutual selection. This isn't one of those stories where the company went to the first person willing to write a big check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 12

The new owners certainly seem dedicated to having a bit of fun.
Their avis are cool enough and show quite a bit of care in creating them.
Any text I have read from any of them, (not inworld), seems quite genuine and well considered.
They seem to "get it" 100% and they don't seem to be rushing into anything.
It's a hearty "thanks" from me so far. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, foneco Zuzu said:

Right now, considering what is going on In RL America, this topic seems a bit vain.

'Murricah, zenter ov da junivearse! 

Seriously, anything SL-related can be considered vain if you just shift perspective a little. But this isn't a forum for American politics, this is a forum for Second Life users. You wouldn't go into a forum for senior knitters of Derbyshire to tell them that knitting is pointless because there's a guy in Spain who refuses to come out of a train station restroom unless they appoint him station master, and a group of bored punk kids decided to chase away the station custodian. 

And yes, from my perspective, the White House is about as interesting as any given Spanish train station restroom. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.