LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

41 minutes ago, Soft Linden said:

The modern understanding of physics did not prepare any of us for Generation Freya.

Edit: In fairness, is that physics, or is that one of those always-active Booty Clapper HUDs?

You may be correct about it being a booty clapper yet I do know people who have their physics turned up to almost this level of whack.

• Like 3

• Lindens
6 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

You may be correct about it being a booty clapper yet I do know people who have their physics turned up to almost this level of whack.

It's probably a ton of fun for them when the camera's following behind, so I'm not one to judge. More power to them if they want to pin those sliders to MAX.

Just pray they stay out of the narrow aisles at the antique shop. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

15 minutes ago, Soft Linden said:

Just pray they stay out of the narrow aisles at the antique shop. 😜

And be quick to clear the landing point when you go event shopping, to avoid getting knocked over yourself!

• Haha 3

•  

Thanks, Silent Mistwalker, I did see this, but I don't think that's how NFC is intended in this discussion? Although, it may well be the more relevant meaning going forward, especially if SL did have an app for phones and tablets. Obviously not for rendering all the details and settings we currently have in our Viewers, but who knows what usefulness could be found in NFC for a phone-based SL?? And of course, it would fit with Tilia for purchases. 🥰

• 1 month later...

Oof, I totally missed all this until now.

Well... I checked and my land is fine, and all this news seems potentially positive for growth and good stuff, also more wooky people in the mix seems nice too. I hope this will become another epic leap for SL growing into the future, its been going a long time, longer than most other games by far, I suspect it still has a lot of life in it to go for sure.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Oof, I totally missed all this until now.

Well... I checked and my land is fine, and all this news seems potentially positive for growth and good stuff, also more wooky people in the mix seems nice too. I hope this will become another epic leap for SL growing into the future, its been going a long time, longer than most other games by far, I suspect it still has a lot of life in it to go for sure.

I had a simple question that I haven't been able to get answered even attending Linden talks but then, maybe there isn't an answer or maybe it's not important, or maybe it's "some guy named Ray" or, who knows. But here goes:

Who has been made VP of Engineering now that Oz Linden, former VP of Engineering, left the Lab on February 26 (he is actually a grandfather now and is going to help raise his grandchild).

At one time, LL had TWO VPs of Engineering, there was so much work to do around here, and my God, I bet they had overtime and time and a half on Sundays -- and the map is still broken, along with search, now that there has only been one of them, and now none. Unless you count the VP of Engineering, Tilia, which is highly important, of course, but doesn't concern map tiles.

So let me try again: who is in charge of the day-to-day operations of SL? I mean not "product," whatever that is exactly, or "community" or "Bellissaria" or "thinking up things to put in the packets at board meetings" or whatever it is that managerial teams do.

I mean the person in charge of the servers. You know, those spinning things. Yes, I realize the answer is now "AWS engineers" so that Oz can now take a well-deserved rest.

Still, even I know at my little level that someone has to "look at the AWS panel" -- and when that someone is me, in a RL job, I know the company is in big trouble.

UPDATE: I still don't really have an answer to this question but at the Home & Garden Expo talk today, Patch Linden said early on (which you might have missed, as I did, while you were fiddling with the dials to here Voice) that Gruhmpity was "wearing two hats" since Oz left, i.e. she is VP of Engineering and VP of Product both, and that she and Patch, the two remaining legs of the previous triumvirate or troika were running "the day-to-day-operations".  Gruhmpity has a degree in computer engineering and a degree in computer engineering psychology, which are perfect for SL, I would imagine.

Meanwhile, literally born "today" and not "yesterday" there is a Nix Linden who has appeared, perhaps that's the guy who has to wear the business suit for RL virtual meetings? Or an actual new Linden who just happens to have that name.

My "take-home" from this talk, once you got past all the Linden Home "info drops" and "tantalizing tidbits" is that map tiles and search are viewed as minor clean-up problems related to the "uplift" and "will be fixed". That could be "next month" or "a year from now" I guess. Doesn't seem to be a priority.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

UPDATE: I still don't really have an answer to this question but at the Home & Garden Expo talk today, Patch Linden said early on (which you might have missed, as I did, while you were fiddling with the dials to here Voice) that Gruhmpity was "wearing two hats" since Oz left, i.e. she is VP of Engineering and VP of Product both, and that she and Patch, the two remaining legs of the previous triumvirate or troika were running "the day-to-day-operations".  Gruhmpity has a degree in computer engineering and a degree in computer engineering psychology, which are perfect for SL, I would imagine

i hope that placing Product and Engineering under one hat isn't permanent. Product is about strategy (ensuring that there is a saleable product) Engineering is about tactics - marshaling the available resources to deliver the product

when Product and Engineering are mixed together under one hat then we end up with Windows 8 and Linden Viewer 2.0. The tactics of delivering a product can sometimes overwhelm the strategy of providing a saleable product

if was my decision (and it isn't) then I would appoint Grumpity Linden - VP of Engineering and Patch Linden - VP of Product. Give them each a pay rise and then work out with them if they need an assistant. So there are only 3 big bosses of SL. Ebbe, Grumpity and Patch

• Like 1

It doesn't matter who is in charge of what. If they continue operation like they have in years prior, things will always be apparent:

They don't/won't hire developers to work ONLY on developing features so the multitasking/workload juggling will continue to consume 99% of development time and drag out the evolution of this platform ten fold as always. No "successul" "gaming" company would structure its developer staffing this way. According to Ebbe they once had almost 70 people working on Sansar. You tell me they can't hire at least one developer to work on features full time, even if they might become the envy of everyone else at the lab?

What they prioritize feature-wise will always show a level of disconnect with the userbase. Many features get chosen not on the merits/necessity of evolving the platform, but on personal preference and convenience. As stated once by the previous VP of Engineering, these features are pulled from an internal wishlist and not from the long list of feature requests filed by the users. This is why many of the recent "wouldn't this be a great idea?!" features prioritized by the previous VP of Engineering had to be axed/nerfed or broke content needlessly. This and because they refused to give said features any feedback from the community until they already showed up in "QA'd" rough draft form in the server release notes page or were already rolled out to the servers. Every single major feature has been partially implemented, mostly due to lack of community input. Whenever community input finally happened, once these major features had internally gone far beyond storyboard mode and their core facets/functionality set in stone and work scheduled, any mention of critical/necessary components is met with "We'll do it in a follow-up." which, if it even happens at all, takes place literally years down the road when they're already thinking of the next major feature to partially implement, again without user feedback starting day1.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

My "take-home" from this talk, once you got past all the Linden Home "info drops" and "tantalizing tidbits" is that map tiles and search are viewed as minor clean-up problems related to the "uplift" and "will be fixed". That could be "next month" or "a year from now" I guess. Doesn't seem to be a priority.

Unfortunately didn't save the log of last Wednesdays TPV meeting but in it, Vir mentioned the map tile fix was still being worked on but was coming along nicely. It sounded positive and that it would be done soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Mitch Absinthe said:

Al Gore did not found the Internet. It was founded by BBN Corporation and DARPA in 1969 for communication between universities.

In 2010, a crocodile escaped out of a duffel bag onboard a flight in the Congo causing everybody to go to the front of the plane, which caused the plane to crash, killing 20 with 1 survivor.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.