LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/10/2020 at 3:23 PM, animats said:

Ebbe Altberg's interview says Sansar was supposed to be the "more nimble R&D company":

With Sansar off its books, Linden Lab is now "a very profitable company," according to Altberg. "Second Life is an older, very established cash machine that works really well, and right now, we're seeing some tremendous growth happening as we speak. Whereas Sansar is a VC, more long term, need-more-investment-type-of-thing. Mixing those two within one small studio like Linden Lab was kind of tricky, so it was easier to have them go separate."

The spinoff of Sansar did nothing for user counts.  Still stuck around 20. Not 20,000, twenty.  Steamcharts: 18 users playing now 24-hour peak user count was 26, all-time peak user count was 221 in September 2019.

There's been zero indication in the last year of any plans to advance SL much. "Cloud uplift" is a cost-saving measure. Altberg has said what the plan is - run the "older, very established cash machine".

Meanwhile, we still don't know how the acquisition is going. The longer an M&A transaction drags on, the less likely it is to close.

I mean a lot of people could see that from a mile away. It would be like Bethesda making a COD game. That would be their VC as it would not get as much in revenue, as say their RP games.

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'd forgotten about this.  I'll be interested to hear more when something actually happens.

Or it could be like Cloud Party. One day there. One day gone.

Finger's Crossed that isn't the case. 

I was happy for the Cloud Party crew (one was an old Linden employee) as they worked very hard and did a great job --- and THEY got new jobs.  But the platform disappeared.   I was extremely sad. 

So live it up. We never know what will happen tomorrow. 

• Like 3

This acquisition is going to be a colossal flop if the issues we're all experiencing don't get fixed soon.  It's gotten so bad people are leaving SL that have been with it for 10 years or more.  Failed TPs, group chats not working, MP issues, it takes 5 minutes just to load a profile if it loads at all sometimes.  We shouldn't have to log out just to move to another location.  I realize there are going to be bumps in the move to the cloud but this is getting ridiculous.  I have two regions and I'm this close to selling them and leaving SL for good myself.   There has to be a better solution than "please be patient".. what's the point in moving to the cloud if you drive everyone away in the process?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JerichoAnomaly said:

This acquisition is going to be a colossal flop if the issues we're all experiencing don't get fixed soon.  It's gotten so bad people are leaving SL that have been with it for 10 years or more.  Failed TPs, group chats not working, MP issues, it takes 5 minutes just to load a profile if it loads at all sometimes.  We shouldn't have to log out just to move to another location.  I realize there are going to be bumps in the move to the cloud but this is getting ridiculous.  I have two regions and I'm this close to selling them and leaving SL for good myself.   There has to be a better solution than "please be patient".. what's the point in moving to the cloud if you drive everyone away in the process?

They aren't going to drive everyone away. And if it did then there would be no point as you say. But, the reason is the move to the cloud will provide way more benefits likely to attract people than problems that drive them away. That is the point. So, if we lose you, well... cloud environment is likely to pull even more people in. 

With Biden and other world leaders planning to place citizens in lockdowns we are likely to see more people coming into SL. The decrease in concurrent login numbers has reversed and is climbing again. Not a lot. But some.

What they are doing takes time. You can be patient or frustrated about that. Either way it takes the same amount of time.

They are moving an old legacy system to the cloud and working to update it in the process. No one knew what problems they would run into. So there is no measure for when it becomes 'ridiculous'. It is what it is. But, go ahead with your baseless opinions. I hear venting helps.

The last Linden meeting (11/13) I saw they were still optimistic they would be in the cloud before the year is out. That is less than 2 months. I am seeing more regions I visit are in the AWS servers. So... it looks to be possible. The teleports and group chat are top priorities and people are working on them. They can't just drop a nuke on the problem and be done in a flash...

The average life expectancy for a resident is 2 years. So, old timers of 10+ years can be expected to leave no matter what. And they do. I doubt you have any solid data to show people are leaving for any given reason. That is opinion. We are used to hearing the claims that SL is dead and everyone is leaving. Hasn't happened yet. Chicken Little lost it too.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

They aren't going to drive everyone away. And if it did then there would be no point as you say. But, the reason is the move to the cloud will provide way more benefits likely to attract people than problems that drive them away. That is the point. So, if we lose you, well... cloud environment is likely to pull even more people in. 

With Biden and other world leaders planning to place citizens in lockdowns we are likely to see more people coming into SL. The decrease in concurrent login numbers has reversed and is climbing again. Not a lot. But some.

What they are doing takes time. You can be patient or frustrated about that. Either way it takes the same amount of time.

They are moving an old legacy system to the cloud and working to update it in the process. No one knew what problems they would run into. So there is no measure for when it becomes 'ridiculous'. It is what it is. But, go ahead with your baseless opinions. I hear venting helps.

The last Linden meeting (11/13) I saw they were still optimistic they would be in the cloud before the year is out. That is less than 2 months. I am seeing more regions I visit are in the AWS servers. So... it looks to be possible. The teleports and group chat are top priorities and people are working on them. They can't just drop a nuke on the problem and be done in a flash...

The average life expectancy for a resident is 2 years. So, old timers of 10+ years can be expected to leave no matter what. And they do. I doubt you have any solid data to show people are leaving for any given reason. That is opinion. We are used to hearing the claims that SL is dead and everyone is leaving. Hasn't happened yet. Chicken Little lost it too.

I haven't had TP problems. I've run into horrible lag issues though. Although that could just be my internet. I've ended up as cloud that won't rezz on occasion.And strange RLV issues that can't be traced back to a specific cause. My group chats have been fine though. 

I've found SL runs better in the cloud, meaning much, much faster rez and far less lag for me.  I noticed this also as BOM was occurring at the same time and of this I'm speaking of my human avatar.  But, with cloud and BOM, I have far less lag and my FPS jumped up about 12 in busy places.  It's your frames per second in busy places that really shows a difference for me....so I'm taking music events with lots of avi's - far, far better.  If we could only get to full BOM skins, I think we'd see even better results.  I use full BOM skin as one piece rather than a tattoo on the face.

I build in SL, and have encountered some problems especially with it being SLOW although there were other problems too, but my landlord builds and he has encountered some problems too.  I submitted a ticket to LL for support and our region is running much better now for building and there have been very few problems.  I cannot remember the last time I had problems.  

My group chats are working fine.  No problem.  I'm not a big group chatter, however, but rather an occasional but have not had one problem with group chat.    

I've found all-in-all with the certain issues as a consumer with a slow MP or whatever is not too much to deal with for me, and MP has only been slow on occasion. 

It's better to contact LL support and have them look things over than to give up, imo.   

• Thanks 1

It's hard to imagine making any major change in a system as complicated as SL without having some unexpected problems.  Part of the challenge is sorting out which unexpected problems were caused by the major change and which ones are purely coincidental.  We have all have TP, rezzing, and lag issues as long as we have been in SL.  They come and go, and a lot of them are caused by problems on our own computers and Internet connections.  I spent almost two weeks recently cursing at Linden Lab because I had a dramatic increase in chat lag, only to realize slowly that it was caused by software interference and a two-year accumulation of cookie crumbs in my keyboard.  Some crazy things are indeed a result of uplift to the cloud.  Many are not.  I trust the LL engineers to figure out which problems are on their end, and to fix them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well I have been in SL over 15 years,  and seen one hell of a lot of changes,   but this,  I dunno.  My main concern is what changes the new owners are going to make..  We have already been experiencing mega problems and constant "maintenance" inworld and on Market Place (i.e. it has been 2 days of trying to get 4 listings done and I still haven't because MP keeps having 'Issues")..  Gotta wonder if and when it all settles down, what upheaval will be next.  That does worry me.

• Like 3

I would consider four months with "nothing to report" much better than BAD news. Let's be grateful we are still here.  

AND we are coming up to the end of the year when often changeovers etc are revealed.  I am sure I am not alone wondering about the stilt house release. It has been a month since "really really soon" was the word and nothing much happening over in the new area --- THAT is a little worrisome. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I would consider four months with "nothing to report" much better than BAD news. Let's be grateful we are still here.  

AND we are coming up to the end of the year when often changeovers etc are revealed.  I am sure I am not alone wondering about the stilt house release. It has been a month since "really really soon" was the word and nothing much happening over in the new area --- THAT is a little worrisome. 

The release is expected later on today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, foneco Zuzu said:

The Real Life is getting even more insane.

One has to wonder if the Cyberjunk 2077 fiasco will scare any investors to bet on Software gaming companies for Years to come.

So no news is like sort of good news on LL front.

If having a hyped game release turn out to be a buggy mess had any long-term effect on the computer gaming market we'd still be punching game counters out of sheets of die-cut cardboard.

Theresa Tennyson is old enough to remember SimCity's 2013 release.

Actually, she's old enough to remember "Outpost" but she doesn't want anyone to realize that.

Oh, dammit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If having a hyped game release turn out to be a buggy mess had any long-term effect on the computer gaming market we'd still be punching game counters out of sheets of die-cut cardboard.

Theresa Tennyson is old enough to remember SimCity's 2013 release.

Actually, she's old enough to remember "Outpost" but she doesn't want anyone to realize that.

Oh, dammit...

At least you aren't old enough to remember the first Pong console.

oops

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foneco Zuzu said:

The Real Life is getting even more insane.

One has to wonder if the Cyberjunk 2077 fiasco will scare any investors to bet on Software gaming companies for Years to come.

So no news is like sort of good news on LL front.

It's one area of investment that is actually in stable growth.  Covid played a part in that over 2020, and 2021 shows no signs of that cooling.  Also activities like M&A in relation to what Linden Research are going through, it is normal to not see anything public for 12 months or greater (as they are a private company).  It's a complex "dance".

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Wait... when did we stop punching game counters out of sheets of die-cut cardboard? Did I miss a memo?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.