Do you use voice chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For me it depends on what avi I'm using at the moment and other circumstances.

Female avis: I do not use voice for obvious reasons.

Male avis: I occasionally use voice if the other person is speaking in voice. Also if I need to sing, pronounce something, or something which I feel is better suited for voice.

But for the most part I do not use it because it's novelty has worn of for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

No. I heard some "rumors" years ago about people using voice to exploit/leak real IP addresses. I don't know if that was true or if it's still true, but not bothering to chance it. If anyone has the official word on this, I would like to know.

your IP  travels freely is allover the internet. IN SL every stream you listen to, gets your IP, your browser, your isp... and so on...

to the subject: i don't like voice, use it perhaps two times a year, but will try to prevent it, simply because  i don't like it.

I do turn it on to listen when attending a meeting or lecture that is conducted in voice, but I don't use it for general chat with other avatars. I am rather phone-phobic and chatting in voice is much too similar to that, for me. 

Edited by Matty Luminos

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

your IP  travels freely is allover the internet. IN SL every stream you listen to, gets your IP, your browser, your isp... and so on...

That's why I turn off auto media and don't click links.

If LL or my ISP knows my IP, that's fine. I could use VPN but not on SL.

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi

They call it "voice", but it's really "Televisions, screaming at kids, being screamed at, burping, farting, disgusting-sounding gum-chewing, health-related labored-breathing, loud-slurping from a glass or straw, chuckling, and anything else that is nasty/annoying/gross/uncalled-for/irritating that you can think of sound-application" Who wouldn't want to listen to all of that by having that feature turned on?

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Never.  I have been in SL since 2007 and have only turned voice on a couple of times to listen. I don't have (or want) a mic.  Arielle has it right...

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Never use voice as it breaks immersion and because my hearing is not great with some voices

and I find it irritating to hear dogs barking, traffic in the street, kids yelling, and all the other background noise.  

• Like 7

I have in the past.  I think twice in 11 years.  I don't even listen any more for all the reason mentioned plus the ubiquitous voice hog that never shuts up and has to comment on everything anyone else says in text chat too.

I would rather people think of me as a guy than turn on voice again.  It's much less annoying.  Besides, there is only one person in SL who's opinion matters and we are meeting for tacos IRL tonight.  We'll voice chat then.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I used to voice a lot with a friend. Actually, that was the first time I ever spoke english with someone since I never really had the opportunity before. We can't talk much anymore though, since neither one of us has that much time and I don't really socialize anymore. Also, even after all that practise, I still misspronounce every second word. :D 

• Like 2

I don't even have the sound on in SL. I'm usually listening to music.

I used to do it all the time, it just got kinda annoying after a while. It works, it doesn't work, its too loud, not loud enough. One time it stopped working and I just turned the sound off completely and found....I kinda like it that way.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

No. I heard some "rumors" years ago about people using voice to exploit/leak real IP addresses. I don't know if that was true or if it's still true, but not bothering to chance it. If anyone has the official word on this, I would like to know.

DJs don't have a way to tell who's IP is whose. Not unless they want to spend an insane amount of time tracking each and every IP that shows up on whatever program they use for DJing. If they were to do that they wouldn't have much time to spend on the mic and it's obvious the set is either canned or the DJ is preoccupied.

Sure, DJs can see your IP but they don't know that it is your's and there isn't anything they can do with it that can harm you. As for voice, it's free software from a company called Vivox that LL uses and the only way anyone can "leak" an IP address is if they say it out loud over the mic. Fortnite uses Vivox as do many, many other MMOs.

No, I don't use voice. Even though I have hearing loss I can use voice but only if the other conversants don't mind repeating most of what they say 5 or 10 times depending on how loud my tinnitus gets from using voice. The "ringing" in my ears can and does get loud enough to drown out pretty much all noises. Even loud ones.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

They call it "voice", but it's really "Televisions, screaming at kids, being screamed at, burping, farting, disgusting-sounding gum-chewing, health-related labored-breathing, loud-slurping from a glass or straw, chuckling, and anything else that is nasty/annoying/gross/uncalled-for/irritating that you can think of sound-application" Who wouldn't want to listen to all of that by having that feature turned on?

You forgot one.

giphy.gif 

• Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.