Do you use voice chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I do play one MMO. I've never used voice in STO* on either of my lifetime accounts. I'm going to have to start deleting characters because they are almost all maxed out if new levels don't get added soon. Sure, my fleet buddies (UNIVERSAL) use voice but they know I have hearing loss and don't have a problem with it. That is, when I'm in the fleet. Sometimes I get booted because they need the space for new members and I haven't logged in in months. For me, it's the best fleet in STO.

I really do wish LL didn't require to log in every week to get stipend, unlike other MMOs like STO where you can go months even years without logging in while your "credit" builds up... then you can go on a huge shopping spree! Ships, pets, clothing, weapons, silly fun things like party poppers and fireworks.

*Star Trek Online

You just reminded me that my stipend is due in STO, and it's been awhile since I've logged in. I find myself converting Zen to Dil, and stockpile for when they do the Phoenix Prize Packs--for the upgrades. 

Also, I think that weekly login seems to only apply to accounts created before June 6th 2006? Because here it states if you're a premium member, you get a weekly stipend whether you login or not..and I can confirm that from my own experience/s--I will often go a week or two without logging in. Still stinks, for those who do have to login weekly. 

Oh, and @operationhammerman:  You write as if using an avatar of the opposite gender were a bad thing. I'd wager a guess that 99.999x % don't use an avatar of the opposite gender for nefarious reasons.

Hint: Second Life™ is not a Real Life Dating Platform - even though there have been quite a few couples who evolved from a strictly inworld couple to a happy RL family.

PS: There are many many reasons for NOT using voice. Some of them have been mentioned here in this very thread. And not every female avatar who refuses to voice is controlled by a RL male.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Nastasha Szaberwick said:

Also, I think that weekly login seems to only apply to accounts created before June 6th 2006? Because here it states if you're a premium member, you get a weekly stipend whether you login or not..and I can confirm that from my own experience/s--I will often go a week or two without logging in. Still stinks, for those who do have to login weekly. 

Could be. At one time it didn't matter what your rez day was, you had to log in to get it if you are not premium. I still have to on this account if I want my measly 50Ls. lol Two accounts are pre-2006 the rest are all pre-2009. The last alt I created was in 2009. So unless I can get my main back from LL (gotta have the money first) this is what I have.

11 hours ago, operationhammerman said:

or else mute and derender. 

Is the visual stimulation of a potentially well hung shemale too much of a temptation that you have to go to the bother of derendering them before moving on to the next candidate?

Female bulges are the new yummy! Admit it!😋

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, operationhammerman said:

When I meet a female AV, I instantly ask for voice - or else mute and derender. 

Too many imposters make SL a catfish paradise.

If we met and you "instantly" asked for voice, I'd be racing you to that mute button. 

I hate to think what your expectations must be of every female you meet, if you MUST know at once that they are indeed females in RL. Do you really think you are going to shag them all? Bless your heart. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, operationhammerman said:

Don't bother. I took the initiative. Guys like you aren't worth the hassle. You're probably one of those telemarketers that insists on calling women 'sir' over the phone even after you have been corrected several times. Ignorance is curable, stupidity is not. Don't be stupid.

• Like 6

On 8/24/2019 at 9:08 PM, Nastasha Szaberwick said:

You just reminded me that my stipend is due in STO, and it's been awhile since I've logged in. I find myself converting Zen to Dil, and stockpile for when they do the Phoenix Prize Packs--for the upgrades. 

That was actually for the basics that got strippend early on..if they wanted to keep getting it they had to log in once a week.

Premiums get it no matter what..

Personally I use voice all the time depending on where I am. Usually since I hang out at sandboxes and other voice hang outs...I usually do use voice for those reasons. But, if I happen to be at a club or someplace where voice is already turned off, then obviously no.

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Douchiness aside, I know a lot of guys feel the same way as operationhammerman. I'm often not spoken to by guys until they hear my voice. Not that I care. But its definitely something I've noticed. 

I'm a guy that's been here going on 13 years.  I have never voiced and have never once asked anyone else to voice.  I don't have anything against it, but its definitely not a requirement.

• Like 3

I will voice on occasion but only to my closest friends and even then its rare. Though my friends live for voice chat... and they do... all the time. So if im not paying 100% attention I have no idea what they are saying. I like text because I can go back and see what I missed. I will generally only voice or vid chat with people iv'e met IRL. I really don't want to hear some dude doing something he wouldn't do in front of his mother.  

People like operationhammerman instantly get muted and hit by the ban hammer on my sim and ive encountered people like that both male and female.

• Like 4

On 8/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, operationhammerman said:

Women are not obligated to prove themselves to you. (And this goes for trans women as well, who are not obligated to justify their gender expression to some basement-bound mouthbreather either.)

• Like 4

I have voiced a lot in the past.  I'd rather voice than type constantly.  I don't hang out with the same people now, so I only turn voice on if I am chatting with an individual person or a group of friends.   I don't have any issue with someone requesting me to go on voice, as long as they completely understand I'm not going to engage in sexchat (been there, done that, over it). 

I would much rather listen to people talking than be bombarded with gestures.  I hate gestures at clubs.  I'm there to listen to music, not your stupid "WOOHOO!" or "Tuuuuune!".  I can understand why voice is blocked at music clubs though.

As for idiots who leave their mic on so I have to listen to their dog or their baby or the person cursing someone not in SL out, insta-mute. 

I don't use voice for the most part because I'm deaf. I feel that it really isn't my job to appease an insecurity someone may have and if the use of voice is a requirement for friendship, I will decline said friendship. That being said, I've sang in Second Life at informal events one of my spiritual groups hold.

• Like 3

I use voice myself, but rarely - with close friends or trusted groups. I don't want to be recorded and put in the internet as a meme or Marketplace as a pack of sound samples. ;) Also, when a person is challenged, for example with dyslexia; If its easier for them to listen than read, I do just that, talk, in private call.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, operationhammerman said:

This isn't tender, snapchat etc. This is second life. Unless you're on here looking for love. ( which is kind of a weird place to look for it). No one is obligated to voice chat with you. I suggest you go look for love elsewhere. This ain't it.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:20 AM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Douchiness aside, I know a lot of guys feel the same way as operationhammerman. I'm often not spoken to by guys until they hear my voice. Not that I care. But its definitely something I've noticed. 

In all honestly, I could care less really. Not trying come off as rude. MOST of them who ask for voice are usually asking for pervert reasons. Which is disgusting in my opinion. I for one did not login on here to earn "brownie points" from some dude who wants to get " diggy" to my voice. No thank you.. I will not voice chat EVER if that's the case.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 1

I use it when it's appropriate to - ie when folks around me are using it. It's almost always somebody else's decision to fire up voice but it never bothers me any if/when they do. My most usual vox chat channel is via discord, though, even to other folks around me in SL because we're normally talking amongst ourselves, not "publicly",

More people have heard my voice inworld on my performance stream than via chat. As a performer I have, of course, had to beat any self-consciousness about how I might sound into oblivion. Having been a RL performer and - at times - a radio actor for a long time, that was a task already accomplished before SL went live, let alone had a voice option.

I've never tried to be anyone in SL who isn't an aspect of my RL self and am pretty open about who I am IRL so my voice isn't going to reveal anything that isn't already out there and therefore no need to bother myself over using a voice channel if others want to, but mostly I just don't.

I know folks fret about characters refusing to voice but it's kinda overblown to me. In the past with the radio theater company we did a fun skit where the female characters were all voiced by guys and vice versa and with practice it's actually possible to get good at that - I even use a part of the techniques in my performances! The folk genre has a lot of songs that are a dialog between a male and a female viewpoint and while I don't "disguise" my voice singing the female verses I soften my intonation a bit to differentiate between them. The difference is minimal but its enough to tell the ear that "somebody else has taken over the story." If I intended that to be a "disguise" I've enough range to sing those verses an octave higher and potentially be mistaken for a lass with a contralto range but I don't do that. The one thing that's almost impossible to manage without "technical assistance" or outstanding talent is for an adult to successfully voice a child unless that adult is female, but given kids "aren't supposed to be on SL at all" that's hardly an issue.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.