How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

6 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This literally sounds like the early days of mesh bodies! LOL I would think it's the opposite; as BOM gains traction, more skin creators will releasing their skins the "old fashioned" way and call it "BOM". Go figure, creating a system skin, head-to-toe the way we've always done circa the beginning of SL time until someone invented appliers is now a selling point.

3 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

So interesting thing about this, Glam Affair released five or six new skins for the new LeLutka Evolution heads, and the only come in system layers. No appliers at all! It’s what made me finally try BOM. I think things may be slowly swinging back in the opposite direction to system skins.

If this happens, it would be awesome. It would also be good for anyone who prefers not to wear mesh avatars. As mesh heads became more and more prevalent, I bemoaned the fact that system makeups got harder to find. A resurgence in those as well would be most welcome.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
because it turned into a party.
  • Like 2

danidealswithadriver.thumb.jpg.49f6dc11cc5023a5893af89afa04c4a7.jpg

Driving while black.

As usual, this is one of my animesh NPCs, and this isn't posed. It just happened as a result of automatic behaviors. Dani, wearing a GTFO "Hub Loss Prevention" T-shirt, has approached a vehicle driving in a new GTFO hub in De Campion. The driver isn't in trouble. She just says "Hello".

She approaches anyone new who shows up and says hello. She has no idea who they are or what they're doing yet. Over time, she'll get other tasks, like telling drivers which loading dock to use and guiding trucks when backing. A connection with the GTFO system may provide her with more information. The goal is to help move roleplay along and make it more realistic.

I've been watching the hub from a distance to see how interactions with the NPC work out, but don't interfere. The NPCs have to deal with problems on their own. She will get out of the way of moving vehicles, a survival skill needed here. And of course she avoids obstacles, including avatars and parked vehicles. So she can cope with a place like this.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I have yet to meet a bento head that IS me. My AK head came close, but I was sick of never finding skins for it. Would BOM help that? (I'm dragging my feet with that 'cuz I'm being technophobic-lazy.) It is an older AK head, so I don't know if it is BOM capable.

...snip

I think BOM makes things WAY easier. But, I am a pre-mesh SL baby.

YES, you will need to ask the designer if they have an applier for BoM. GA.EG made my Jennifer head pre-BoM and retrofitted it with BoM using an applier, which she supplied for free.

BOM is a system that collects all the system layers and composites them into a diffuse texture. So, the four system (classic avatar skin, tat, underwear, and clothing) layers are baked (composited) into a single texture. It is possible, via script, to predict the name of the composite texture for any avatar and build an applier that applies that texture to a mesh or any prim. This is how designers are quickly sort of adapting their products to BoM.

So, your head can be adapted. You need a BoM applier from the designer or Omega.

2 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I don't think BoM is a good answer for someone who likes to find new skins to wear, and maybe change looks often. Like system makeups, new system skins, which are fundamental to how BoM works, may get more difficult to find as time goes by and mesh bodies and their appliers become more widely adopted.

I totally disagree. I've been making outfits and trying demo skins looking to get my YS&YS tan lines back. (They were only in the applier for my skin.) Using BOM I put on a BoM adapted head. Then I can wear different demo skins and see how they work with the existing makeup. I put on the skin and it slides into place UNDER the makeup. Nothing else to do.

Doing lots of skin changes quickly is much easier with BoM.

I can mix how I do the make up know. I can use the GA.EG makeups or turn off (hide) the GA.EG makeup layers and use the system makeup layers via BoM. I prefer the GA.EG makeup because I have very fine (granularity) control over the % of transparency.

With the non-BoM version I have to dig out the applier for that head and skin, if I have a set that works, to add the skin to the head. So, put on skin, chase down details for how to apply it, hope I have the parts, and try it. In some cases I don't have the right Omega relay. It is tedious and a pain to test.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

YES, you will need to ask the designer if they have an applier for BoM. GA.EG made my Jennifer head pre-BoM and retrofitted it with BoM using an applier, which she supplied for free.

BOM is a system that collects all the system layers and composites them into a diffuse texture. So, the four system (classic avatar skin, tat, underwear, and clothing) layers are baked (composited) into a single texture. It is possible, via script, to predict the name of the composite texture for any avatar and build an applier that applies that texture to a mesh or any prim. This is how designers are quickly sort of adapting their products to BoM.

So, your head can be adapted. You need a BoM applier from the designer or Omega.

I totally disagree. I've been making outfits and trying demo skins looking to get my YS&YS tan lines back. (They were only in the applier for my skin.) Using BOM I put on a BoM adapted head. Then I can wear different demo skins and see how they work with the existing makeup. I put on the skin and it slides into place UNDER the makeup. Nothing else to do.

I can mix how I do the make up know. I can use the GA.EG makeups or turn off (hide) the GA.EG makeup layers and use the system makeup layers via BoM. I prefer the GA.EG makeup because I have very fine (granularity) control over the % of transparency.

With the non-BoM version I have to dig out the applier for that head and skin, if I have a set that works, to add the skin to the head. So, put on skin, chase down details for how to apply it, hope I have the parts, and try it. In some cases I don't have the right Omega relay. It is tedious and a pain to test.

Nalates. Knows All the Things.

knows all the things adoring.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I hope you are right and that new system layer skins and makeups tattoos continue to be created by talented and motivated people.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Catrie said:

I've tried various bento heads and have constantly made adjustments.  I had the Lelutka Simone for the longest time.  The only reason I went to Catwa is because I noticed more and more stores  not making Lelutka versions of the make up I wanted.  Genus was newly out and everything was going Catwa/Genus.   The Catwa head was okay, but I didn't really care for the HUD.  Lelutka's HUD I loved, because to me it was just easier to figure out.  I moved to Genus because it looked better in pictures. Since that's what I do most, I tried it out and went with the Baby face.  I wish the zones were a bit better, as right now I can't wear different eyebrows and still wear the Genus provided mole, as they are both on the same layer and will cancel each other out.  There is a lipstick brand that has the mole added, but I can never remember the name to try it with different eyebrows. 😛   

I tried the new Lelutka heads, and they look great.  But Py and Momo both told me that they didn't have the "Catrie" vibe.  I'm not exactly sure what that is, but if they say the heads aren't me, I'm going to listen. lol  Just means more Linden for me to spend on fashion. lol  

I just tried the new Lelutka heads and for my taste they just didn’t look enough like my me-ness for me to change. I wear Lelutka May and love 💕 her. I did like some of the new HUD options however like the,  AO and moods! I wish they would update the previous HUDs. Oh well 😊 

• Like 7