Tips rage

choobaloo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Luckily, all of the DJs I tipped were OK, even when I announced I was broke and gave them transfer novelty items instead of Lindendollars. Even the DJ I tipped 1L was gracious (I was about 3 weeks old and had just got off Orientation Island).

The only tip-related fight I ever witnessed was when I was dancing the poles at Blue Styles (long gone) and two of the dancers had an explosive row throughout the entire 2-hour shift over who had tipped them (one's ex boyfriend who had also had a fling with the other, or...something 😖).

While this went on, the lazy new host, who should have been there sorting things out and uploading 500L to the contest board, responded to my IMs from another sim with "Hello sweetie :D" and a lot of hot air. The contest entrants weren't amused. 😭

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

I haven't seen anyone get mad, but I have seen when they become a bit petty and begin calling out names of specific people to try and make them tip. Or, they continually spam the chat for "some linden love"

That's a good oportunity to tip one Linden - and if they ask what that's about "Oh, that's the amount I give beggars on the street, I found that to be appropriate."
If somebody would hassle me about the ammount I tip - "Beggers can't be chosers". 

Luckily, that never happened for me. I tip when I want to, how much I want to. Reminding me to give someone some "Linden lovin'" is a good way to not get any tips from me at all.
I also don't tip for the Dj's/Hosts pure existance. They get a tip if they do a good job, and gesturbation isn't a good job. I tip the venue if it's nice, which they usually am.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In Japan, a tip is an insult. It is your message they are not doing their job to the best of their ability.

In SL, a tip is a gratuity. If you're not tipped, you're not doing your job to the best of your ability.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

In Japan, a tip is an insult. It is your message they are not doing their job to the best of their ability.

I didn't know this (never been to Japan but I hope to get there someday, it looks wonderful). May I ask what the reasoning is behind this? I don't understand how it can mean you're not doing your job properly? 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I didn't know this (never been to Japan but I hope to get there someday, it looks wonderful). May I ask what the reasoning is behind this? I don't understand how it can mean you're not doing your job properly? 

It is cultural mind set (and many Asian cultures). It's not outright "offensive" as long as you do it *right*.

/me hunts for good article because better than trying to explain it herself...

AHAH! Here we go:

There is no tipping in Japan. It is not customary in Japanese service culture, and may even be interpreted as rude or déclasse. Unlike in so many other countries, tipping is simply not expected by the majority of service workers in Japan. This includes restaurant servers, hotel employees, and cab drivers. You simply pay the price of whatever you’ve purchased — no tip needed.

From this web site :D - https://boutiquejapan.com/tipping-in-japan/

As Oliver Strand wrote in his May 2014 article, How Japan Has Perfected Hospitality Culture, “The service culture of Japan, which always over-delivers, directly contradicts the tipping culture of the United States, which supposedly incentivizes superior service but can have exactly the inverse effect” (bolding is ours).

Edit to ad: It comes down to how a guest is treated. If you want to "tip" your host, rather than money, bring a small gift, even better of it's from your home more hand-made. If all you have is money, then pay for their coffee or something. Money is a trading token, a true gift of thanks comes from inside you, not by throwing more of what you throw around already.

It's sometimes difficult to explain a why about something we just learn while growing up. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It is cultural mind set (and many Asian cultures). It's not outright "offensive" as long as you do it *right*.

/me hunts for good article because better than trying to explain it herself...

AHAH! Here we go:

From this web site :D - https://boutiquejapan.com/tipping-in-japan/

Edit to ad: It comes down to how a guest is treated. If you want to "tip" your host, rather than money, bring a small gift, even better of it's from your home more hand-made. If all you have is money, then pay for their coffee or something. Money is a trading token, a true gift of thanks comes from inside you, not by throwing more of what you throw around already.

It's sometimes difficult to explain a why about something we just learn while growing up. LOL

I had similar experiences in China, although the staff at locations mostly geared to Westerners tended to be quite fine with taking tips.

23 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I've seen it sometimes. When I had my club, I didn't worry about as I ran it for fun. I had seen one club have a tip jar that would name avatars that didn't tip yet about every 20 minutes. I put that place on my crap list.

Classic New York City Xmas card: "Merry Xmas. Second notice".

21 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

I haven't seen anyone get mad, but I have seen when they become a bit petty and begin calling out names of specific people to try and make them tip. Or, they continually spam the chat for "some linden love"

nothing irritates me more than that statement...

and I am sick of these people asking me and the whole group to have an ygro in the venue.

Never witnessed this and I can't imagine any DJ or host behaving this way being employed at the clubs I go to very long.

Insofar as "asking for linden love", this happens at most of the clubs I go to and I'm fine with it.  The requests tend to be very sparsely paced and more than once, the reminder that it was last chance to get tips in was well taken since i lost track of time in IM's.  As far as I'm concerned, two people are sitting up on stage making a party happen.  I'm willing to pay them to do it.... ditto with the venue.  

Scripted responses, of course, are worth nothing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

I wonder how many people dont go to clubs because they dont have spare money for tips!

That's a difficult one.  I used to avoid clubs when I didn't have money to thank people for entertaining me.  On the other hand when I was DJing or hosting tips didn't bother me as long as everyone had a good time and a giggle.  I would much rather they gave any spare money to the venue to keep that going so I had a platform to do my DJing and have fun.  I actually used  to keep a notecard of IMs from people who messaged me to thank me and tell me how much they had enjoyed themselves.  This was worth far far more to me than some L$.  Generally over the course of a month I made enough to pay for my stream which was a nice bonus.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

In SL, a tip is a gratuity. If you're not tipped by Americans, you're not doing your job to the best of your ability.

Fixed your quote for you.

Tipping culture is far from universal in this multicultural mashup that is SL. Hosts and DJs that don't get that can go forth and multiply.

Also my standard tip is 69L; I don't have the disposable income to regularly and consistently tip more, and the immature joke is a nice way to shield myself from entitlement. 

13 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Fixed your quote for you.

Tipping culture is far from universal in this multicultural mashup that is SL. Hosts and DJs that don't get that can go forth and multiply.

Also my standard tip is 69L; I don't have the disposable income to regularly and consistently tip more, and the immature joke is a nice way to shield myself from entitlement. 

I get your point, but you didn't get mine. :)

[By the way, when inserting editorial into a quote, square editor's brackets are usually the norm.] 

Edited by Alyona Su

13 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

This actually brings up tip jars that announce what someone tips. Talk about shaming people..

If I see a tip jar that actually shows text above it saying anything along the lines of "Last tip by blah-blah for such-and-such-amount", I will NOT put any money in it.  

I really don't even like the DJ/Host/Hostess/Entertainer/etc... calling out a "Thanks, whomever" to people that tip.  IMO, that still ultimately points out the ones that haven't tipped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I see a tip jar that actually shows text above it saying anything along the lines of "Last tip by blah-blah for such-and-such-amount", I will NOT put any money in it.  

I really don't even like the DJ/Host/Hostess/Entertainer/etc... calling out a "Thanks, whomever" to people that tip.  IMO, that still ultimately points out the ones that haven't tipped.

First part, agree. Its a bit on the tacky side, just remember its not always the choice of whoever is using it (I coded my own and that was never on it)

Second part : sorry, I will always thank someone because it is polite. Pointe finale and naff all to do with 'pointing out' people sheesh.

Public tip rage? Never seen it but I have been more or less retired for a while so it may be a new thing for all I know. If I did ever see it well - zoom, out of there. ( In private way back oh my :) Now i only do it once a week, with the odd caturday, where everyone is an absolute angel. )

As for the calling out - one exception. I have had the honour to be invited to do a few Pride events and you can bet will be exhorting people to dig deep for whatever cause is being sponsored as they are damn good ones.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 1:54 PM, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Reminding me to give someone some "Linden lovin'" is a good way to not get any tips from me at all.

Likewise. I absolutely hate that phrase and I don't even know why but it rubs me the wrongest of ways every single time I hear it.

6 hours ago, CheriColette said:

I wonder how many people dont go to clubs because they dont have spare money for tips!

I do have the spare money but...when I think of going to a club I'm thinking 'Will I like it? Will I have to tip a lot even if I don't?' and so on, so I never actually go unless its a dinkie/tiny party where it really is about the fun and not about making money.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.