Tips rage

choobaloo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:46 PM, CheriColette said:

I wonder how many people dont go to clubs because they dont have spare money for tips!

that would be me. If I don't have money to tip then I don't go

sometimes a person who works at a club will say don't worry about it, as they would rather play to a full venue than an empty one. I get what they are saying, but I still worry about it and don't go

• Like 5

Hmm, on the recent tangent: Back when I did DJ, I honestly considered tips to be a bonus - I just like to play music for people. Mind when I started, clubs were actively paying the staff.

Over time, that dried up and I just carried on playing, going through a few clubs until eventually the computer I'd been using died. It took months before a solution could be found and in that time ... I just decided I didn't want to DJ anymore. Mind being on a different OS by that time and needing to track down a decent streaming and DJing replacement were also factors.

Anyway ... Yeah, begging for/demanding tips is a big No No in my book.

Edited by Solar Legion
Started ... not stated. Cripes.
  • Like 2

As a performer, I get a bit peeved when hosts/staff/scripts are too spammy with "encouragement" to tip - it detracts from my performance. My tip jar will thank them politely in one line of chat if/when they do, no silly unicode or ascii art and will emphatically not poof particles everywhere, make noise or do anything else distracting or lag-inducing. Fortunately I'm lucky enough to usually work with  regular hosts at the venues I play at and I've only had to actually ask them to dial it back a couple of times - we work out what works best for us both and, because we're working together every week, that tends to stick.

Now, I have been grumbled at by both venue staff and punters for not thanking folks personally, but usually only once and it stops after I point out the practicalities...  Firstly, my hands are on my guitar, not my keyboard (even slapping a "key" to trigger the next lighting or anim cue  is done via a USB-connected footswitch) so typing is out of the question, even between songs. (Have you ever tried using a keyboard while standing with a guitar slung around your neck and not have it bounce off the screen, your mic stand or whatever the keyboard is resting on?) Responding on-mic is a possibility between songs but there's at least 20 seconds buffering on the stream. I'm probably already singing the next one by now and won't be talking again until it's done. If the timing works out I will thank you personally on-mic but 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Zpo4 said:

I've created a tip jar script which will provide the following messages:

TIP OF 500L or more > Thank you for your patronage! Your tip is highly appreciated.

TIP OF 100L-500L > Guess you must be having a lean month...thanks anyway, but maybe  lay off the Gacha sales!

TIP OF 100L or less > Think someone needs to log off and reconsider their life choices.

I would hope this was a joke...

Having manners and being humble are worth far more than any amount of money. At least to me.

• Like 2

I've been assuming that post was a joke. (And that it missed a trick and would have been funnier if the responses just got progressively angrier and more aggressive and insane.) I'm one of those people who doesn't always change their tone when they're being sarcastic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Hmm, on the recent tangent: Back when I did DJ, I honestly considered tips to be a bonus - I just like to play music for people. Mind when I started, clubs were actively paying the staff.

Over time, that dried up and I just carried on playing, going through a few clubs until eventually the computer I'd been using died. It took months before a solution could be found and in that time ... I just decided I didn't want to DJ anymore. Mind being on a different OS by that time and needing to track down a decent streaming and DJing replacement were also factors.

IMO you have the right idea about DJ'ing. The motivation should be the music, not the money.
You mentioned an OS change, I'm a Linux user myself and should you wish to ever get into DJ'ing again (even if just for your own b-day party or so) you should have a look into Mixxx. People compare it to Tractor and VirtualDJ (i have no experience with those) only it's free and available for Mac, Windows and Linux.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mollymews said:

that would be me. If I don't have money to tip then I don't go

sometimes a person who works at a club will say don't worry about it, as they would rather play to a full venue than an empty one. I get what they are saying, but I still worry about it and don't go

I love performing, but also will "honor the booking" and, for both these reasons, give the best performance I can even if my host couldn't get online and the place is empty. I might get lucky and snag somebody who just happens to log back in at their last location or stops by sim-hopping into sticking around for a song or two.Somebody not even in-world could pick up the stream.

I'm not going to lie, any tips are "income" for me and contribute to gear maintenance, stream rental, spare strings etc, but if anyone is going to understand where you're at being short of (real or virtual) cash from time to time it's a musician! For the most part we don't have a "financially secure" existence. Should you be in the same boat that's no reason not to share the music with you anyway and it is a lot more fun if you're there.

The music is what it's about. If I can entertain you and send you away feeling like you haven't wasted your time listening, that's the real reward. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

IMO you have the right idea about DJ'ing. The motivation should be the music, not the money.
You mentioned an OS change, I'm a Linux user myself and should you wish to ever get into DJ'ing again (even if just for your own b-day party or so) you should have a look into Mixxx. People compare it to Tractor and VirtualDJ (i have no experience with those) only it's free and available for Mac, Windows and Linux.

Indeed on Linux. Last time I took a look at Mixxx it seemed to take control of the audio inputs/outputs and not properly let go of them when closed.

Perhaps that has since changed ... it has been several years since the change over and I'm using a different 'flavor' now.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 10:29 AM, Zpo4 said:

I've created a tip jar script which will provide the following messages:

TIP OF 500L or more > Thank you for your patronage! Your tip is highly appreciated.

TIP OF 100L-500L > Guess you must be having a lean month...thanks anyway, but maybe  lay off the Gacha sales!

TIP OF 100L or less > Think someone needs to log off and reconsider their life choices.

I don't think you understand what this thread is about.  People who work for tips in SL should not be treating their patrons differently depending on how they are tipped.  All patrons deserve to be treated equally.  Greeted warmly. Thanked for any contributions they might make. Tipping is by it's very nature optional.  Going into a rage over tips is very bad form. Singling out poor tippers and trying to shame them is even worse.  Your script is not a good idea.

• Like 5

On 2/12/2020 at 7:56 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

i use mixxx on the mac and i am very satisfied with it. you have countless possibilities and the quality is very good. i can't complain. it doesn't always have to be expensive

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 10:57 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

"Thank you Sleepy Linden for the lovely tip of $L 1." I made a jar for my man, but it just says thanks.

Kimmi, is this tip jar you made with a split or just for your man as in one person only?

Because I'm looking and have been investigating and the tip jars with a split are pretty much no modify or cost a lot of money.  Even the ones that say MODIFY have bad reviews and say they do not work...that's what I encountered - a lot of tip jars that do not work, especially these split ones.  Of course, I have not seen all the tip jars nor scripts for them in SL on MP because there are thousands at least.  

But, from my investigation so far...the script that is saying 'thank you (fill in name) for the tip (fill in price)....well, that's just the way it is as if it's for a split because the ones I've encountered are no modify and simply say that with name and price.

Now, at one of my clubs...the sim owner and I are co-owners...the only way she could get her half is to be logged in at all times into the tip jar for the split to happen since the tip jar is made by me and I am named as owner of the object so I don't need to be logged in...she does....which is kind of stupid for co-owners.  

It is no easy task finding a good script for sale for the split kind.  Single person tip jars are fairly easy to get rid of name and how much.

So, I ask again, is that a script that can be used for splits or just a single person tip jar?

I have a script now that is fairly decent that I can modify but it is not for splits..it is for single person only.  The split scripts for tip jars I've seen are no modify.    

It may list amount so the people who are splitting it can see the split wasn't changed, etc....and thus remain no modify for business or lack of trust issues frankly.  

Edited by FairreLilette

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Kimmi, is this tip jar you made with a split or just for your man as in one person only?

Because I'm looking and have been investigating and the tip jars with a split are pretty much no modify or cost a lot of money.  Even the ones that say MODIFY have bad reviews and say they do not work...that's what I encountered - a lot of tip jars that do not work, especially these split ones.  Of course, I have not seen all the tip jars nor scripts for them in SL on MP because there are thousands at least. 

One I made is an one person jar. You're right, split script jars have some issues. I did try to make a split one, but got more errors then Carter has pills.  Another jar we use that I had since forever that is a shape of a Genie Bottle and comes in single or split mode.

I suspect that a lot of the tipjar scripts with a split that "don't work" or give errors are using the basic (and older) llGiveMoney function. This has no way of telling if the transaction succeeded or not and therefore no way of gracefully handling errors. Using llTransferLindenDollars, and properly handling the asynchronous result of that transaction is marginally more complex but still hardly rocket science, particularly if the person getting the tips and who they are splitting it with are static rather than the object being a club tipjar that several performers might log in to. Handling that latter case would take more code and potential error-handling of course but not really that much - certainly still a task that smells a little cheesy to be claiming it's such a "work of programming art" that it deserves to be more than a free script in a library somewhere. If I get a couple of idle hours I might even create one and post it in the appropriate section of these forums.

I do understand why people possibly want or even need to create an income in SL, but i prefer to head to a different direction. 
SL is a hobby for me. A hobby like riding a moto/bicycle, taking dance and sewing classes or spending a weekend in the alps. Most of that hobbies are way more expensive than the annual premium and the land tier for a few square meters of mainland. 
So, why would i ask for tips? I just do, what i like to do and what doesnt really hurt my RL wallet.

8 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

One I made is an one person jar. You're right, split script jars have some issues. I did try to make a split one, but got more errors then Carter has pills.  Another jar we use that I had since forever that is a shape of a Genie Bottle and comes in single or split mode.

I got to thinking that perhaps the split scripts have the name and amount that was paid as it's somewhat like a receipt that way, as well as a way to make sure the percentages of the split were not changed.  It may be a kind of protocol for SL where splits are concerned.  It may be something we all have to learn to live with because I can see how partnering sim owners need this "receipt" because some sim co-owners aren't there all the time.

3 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I suspect that a lot of the tipjar scripts with a split that "don't work" or give errors are using the basic (and older) llGiveMoney function. This has no way of telling if the transaction succeeded or not and therefore no way of gracefully handling errors. Using llTransferLindenDollars, and properly handling the asynchronous result of that transaction is marginally more complex but still hardly rocket science, particularly if the person getting the tips and who they are splitting it with are static rather than the object being a club tipjar that several performers might log in to. Handling that latter case would take more code and potential error-handling of course but not really that much - certainly still a task that smells a little cheesy to be claiming it's such a "work of programming art" that it deserves to be more than a free script in a library somewhere. If I get a couple of idle hours I might even create one and post it in the appropriate section of these forums.

Yes, that IIGiveMoney things looks familiar for some of the tip jars that failed.

So, that would be great David if you can put one in the library.  The thing is though perhaps for business purposes it is needed to say amount and name to make sure there was no tampering nor changing of the percentages.  It seems most sims prefer to say name and amount so my most likely conclusion for their use is so it can used like a receipt so everyone can see the percentages have not been changed nor tampered with.   

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

.. perhaps for business purposes it is needed to say amount and name to make sure there was no tampering nor changing of the percentages...

The transaction_result event in response to a successful llTransferLindenDollars() call will even give the script the transaction id - so if that's reported you can link that directly to your account history. If the transfer failed the result will tell the script exactly why, and the script can decide whether to retry the transfer or report to the intended recipient that "so-and-so owes you X in tip shares that failed to transfer...."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

It is no easy task finding a good script for sale for the split kind.

It might be worth a quick trip over to Alicia Stella Design i have a tip jar from there that does split pay i set it up to just pay the alt i use to save money so i can see how much i've saved towards something with out having to log it in. Near the entrance of the store is a gift giver so there might be a free one available

• Like 2

I'm glad the place where I work doesn't make me split my tips with them.  I do contribute to the venue tip jar on a regular basis. I was able to modify the tip script in my tip jar so that it doesn't do anything but receive the tips.  For years I hosted without a tip jar and I was fine with that.  People tipped me anyway.  Then a few months ago, they voted to let the hosts have tip jars so I made one that didn't intrude on the mood much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

It might be worth a quick trip over to Alicia Stella Design i have a tip jar from there that does split pay i set it up to just pay the alt i use to save money so i can see how much i've saved towards something with out having to log it in. Near the entrance of the store is a gift giver so there might be a free one available

That where we got our Genie Bottle tip jars from.  I wasn't sure when I posted if posting the shop name was allowed.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 5:28 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

My tip jar is set to list the last 3 tippers, but NOT the amounts.  Tip me L$1 or L$1000 and you get the same treatment from my sign, and me.  I doubt anyone is keeping score on who is tipping.

I agree... most of the tip jars i see show who tipped last but not the amount.  I'm fine with that.  And honestly, if I tip jar does offend me in some way I can and do just tip the performer directly.  I have never understood the point of tip jars and I certainly don't need one to give some money to another resident.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.