Tips rage

choobaloo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About 10 years ago I danced for a week or so  at a club that catered towards adult entertainment.

The owner had a “staff” Group dedicated to harping at his dancers.  He demanded that you go into other groups and send out mass TPs and announcements.  He insisted you bring in your entire friends list.  Of course that tactic really doesn’t work and when his total crowd numbered one or two avatars, he would spend the evening harping some more.

The club still exists.  I’ve visited a year or so back to nose around and the bulk of traffic there is due to one of those Machines that gives lindens after so much time of milling about.  

Not quite the same as complaining about not getting tips but not far off. 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, Tarina Sewell said:

wait, why are we tipping auctioneers?

I actually think they work harder than DJs. They have to convince people to buy something they may not want. It's been customary for YEARS to tip auctioneers.

But to have someone call out somebody else by name for not tipping? I'd be out of there fast...and spreading the word.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, choobaloo said:

Have you ever witnessed a DJ, host(ess), musician, auctioneer or simowner freak out and get angry over lack of tips, or a 'too small' tip?

Not in public.  But I have seen DJ's end their set early, or refuse to play overtime if they didn't get a tip for the last 30 mins.  Most just claim they are tired and close the set on time.  This only applies if there is no DJ following them, so they have the option of playing into "overtime". But if they still have a crowd, and most there have already tipped, the good DJ's keep on playing until everyone listening goes home.  

Standard practice is for the seller to tip an auctioneer 10% of the sale price of your auction item, IF it sells.  I don't see many tips from the buyers, nor is this expected.  10% commission is how an auctioneer earns their lindens.  A good auctioneer will spend hours in preparation for the auction, plus 2 hrs of high stress selling of items no one really wants at the asking price.  Nobody works for nothing, unless it is a charity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I see a tip jar that actually shows text above it saying anything along the lines of "Last tip by blah-blah for such-and-such-amount", I will NOT put any money in it.  

I really don't even like the DJ/Host/Hostess/Entertainer/etc... calling out a "Thanks, whomever" to people that tip.  IMO, that still ultimately points out the ones that haven't tipped.

My tip jar is set to list the last 3 tippers, but NOT the amounts.  Tip me L$1 or L$1000 and you get the same treatment from my sign, and me.  I doubt anyone is keeping score on who is tipping.  And it's only the LAST three, so who would remember who did and did not tip if there were 30 tips for the set?  I have only had 2 peeps ever ask me to not list their names, one romeo felt he wanted peeps to think he only tipped women.  The other was multiple tipping and didn't want everyone to know this.  So I turn off the name display when he is in the club.  

As far as thanking everyone in chat and/or voice for a tip - That is Rule # ONE in any club.  Failure to thank patrons for a tip, and they feel ignored and will leave.  DJ's and hostesses that fail to say thanks will not last long at a club.  You are 1 in 1000 that feels thanking peeps for a tip makes you feel bad.  Tip $L1, and you too can be among the "rich folks" crowd :)  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 6:06 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

I play to share the music that I love with others, and if nobody listens, then WTF are you in the club for?

I feel you...

The worst thing is not really about NOT getting the MONEY, but its when the club is Dead Empty. I hated that to the core being a hostess. Even if there is pay or tips, I find that VERY hard to stay with the club if there are NO PEOPLE. I'm no bot O.o

• Like 3

Don't laugh please but it actually honestly took me two months to just figure out a good tip jar.  I would get so frustrated with the stupid scripts, I would just give up.   I finally found a script that was use-able...no linden lovin' message BUT it does give a message such as if it were me tipping "thank you FairreLilette for your lovely tip".  I wrote that and it just fills in the name.  I needed it to have a message to say because my clubs really have no hostess - me and the Dj both Host together because for my two events we have a week I have to go lunch at noon I have no other choice...so she fills in as both Dj and Host.   I, then, several times in the event thank everyone en masse for the tips to the club because I have to leave several times and have a bazillion 5 linden transactions from my trivia games.  I do let people know I am going out for lunch and my Dj is taking over as host though in case they need anything.  

Anyhow, long story short, in my experience, it is very difficult finding a good script to use for a tip jar...most are un-useable...just not written well and you can't even change the default fast pay numbers and this was unacceptable to me.  It was a nightmare for me to get a good tip jar....no doubt about it...I know what I went through.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SusanPoora said:

I feel you...

The worst thing is not really about NOT getting the MONEY, but its when the club is Dead Empty. I hated that to the core being a hostess. Even if there is pay or tips, I find that VERY hard to stay with the club if there are NO PEOPLE. I'm no bot O.o

I love music and I love to share my music with people. I am definitely not in it for the money, although it's nice to be able to buy a new pair of shoes after a few hours of DJing. I consider tips a token of appreciation, but I am just as happy with, say, a 100L$ tip (which is  more than I am counting on for a tip), as I am with someone saying "OMG I love this band" and starts talking about what that band means to them.

But as DJ, I find it a grave insult if there are people in the club, but after 30 minutes my stream still shows 0 listeners. Makes me wanna flip a table and bolt right out of there. Tips would not make up for that lack of respect.

P.S. I am well aware that some people in SL have a hearing disability, but when they admit "oh, I wasn't listening, I was playing my own music" then that's a clear slap in the face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I love music and I love to share my music with people. I am definitely not in it for the money, although it's nice to be able to buy a new pair of shoes after a few hours of DJing. I consider tips a token of appreciation, but I am just as happy with, say, a 100L$ tip (which is  more than I am counting on for a tip), as I am with someone saying "OMG I love this band" and starts talking about what that band means to them.

But as DJ, I find it a grave insult if there are people in the club, but after 30 minutes my stream still shows 0 listeners. Makes me wanna flip a table and bolt right out of there. Tips would not make up for that lack of respect.

P.S. I am well aware that some people in SL have a hearing disability, but when they admit "oh, I wasn't listening, I was playing my own music" then that's a clear slap in the face.

Sounds like you need to find a better venue.  Zero listening...I never heard of that.  Well, that is no fun for sure.  I have one DJ for my clubs right now and she is excellent...playing stuff that isn't over-played in SL and/or almost never played in SL and it's exciting to hear stuff I haven't heard in years instead of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" for the one millionth time like most clubs play along as so many other songs I've heard almost every DJ play way, way too much.    

To me, having a DJ is a shared musical experience as well as for socializing and fun.

I'd assume, at the venue you are, you have people just looking for a quick "hook up" and do not care at all about the music.   I'd look for a different place to play because there are people who want to hear the music but I do have to admit I've often said the music in SL in as stale as can be...nearly every DJ at certain clubs playing the same stuff.  I'm not into top hits.  I want to hear the deep tracks...the songs off the records that are incredible but not necessarily the hits.   

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'd assume, at the venue you are, you have people just looking for a quick "hook up" and do not care at all about the music.   I'd look for a different place to play because there are people who want to hear the music but I do have to admit I've often said the music in SL in as stale as can be...nearly every DJ at certain clubs playing the same stuff.  I'm not into top hits.  I want to hear the deep tracks...the songs off the records that are incredible but not necessarily the hits.   

I mostly play 80s music, but avoid (most of) the hits like the plague. If people are into Wham! or Madonna, then they they'd be out of luck with me. My genres include (but are not limited to), post punk, new wave, darkwave, ska, punk, etc. I like the forgotten artists, the tracks that may briefly have been in the top 40 but never made it to the top-10. So it sounds to me like you and I at least have somewhat compatible tastes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Sounds like you need to find a better venue.  Zero listening...I never heard of that.  Well, that is no fun for sure.  I have one DJ for my clubs right now and she is excellent...playing stuff that isn't over-played in SL and/or almost never played in SL and it's exciting to hear stuff I haven't heard in years instead of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" for the one millionth time like most clubs play along as so many other songs I've heard almost every DJ play way, way too much.    

To me, having a DJ is a shared musical experience as well as for socializing and fun.

Same with my man.  Since we play from a RL bar a lot of stuff that's rarely played in SL gets aired. We have DJs 5 nights a week in our bar and we have several servers that hold nearly a million songs. Normally our DJ shows on Wednesday gets played in world. Thursday night although we have a couple who dig deep for hidden gems that are never played. No Dancing Queen for the millionth time.

• Like 3

I've hosted in clubs in SL on and off since 2007, and I've never seen a host or a DJ flip out due to lack of tips.  Ever.  If they had, I'm confident they'd have been tossed out on their ear, never to return.

As a host, I love to see the crowd hopping and people having a good time.  Tips are what I make for being there, but everyone having fun is my favorite payment :) 

Also, thanks for mentioning the stupid scripting on tip jars that announces amounts, etc.  I need to go through mine and adjust any scripts that are like that.  I've been planning to and never remember until a set is already in full swing :/

• Like 1

I've created a tip jar script which will provide the following messages:

TIP OF 500L or more > Thank you for your patronage! Your tip is highly appreciated.

TIP OF 100L-500L > Guess you must be having a lean month...thanks anyway, but maybe  lay off the Gacha sales!

TIP OF 100L or less > Think someone needs to log off and reconsider their life choices.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Zpo4 said:

TIP OF 500L or more > Thank you for your patronage! Your tip is highly appreciated.

TIP OF 100L-500L > Guess you must be having a lean month...thanks anyway, but maybe  lay off the Gacha sales!

TIP OF 100L or less > Think someone needs to log off and reconsider their life choices.

Seriously?

If I ever tipped someone and received messages like the ones above for a tip under 500L, that would be the last time I would ever tip that person or venue, no matter how much I enjoyed the performance.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Zpo4 said:

I'd tip L$100. L$1 at a time.

• Haha 10

27 minutes ago, Zpo4 said:

I'd been assuming this was a joke.

It is a joke, right?

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Zpo4 said:

image.gif.4a24354997efe098a5c6554f1116fd68.gif

• Like 2

I’m not paying a host more than 200L, especially if all they do are those canned gestures. If they really get people involved and are friendly I would tip more than that. I haven’t seen a host like that in....wooooo...long time.

A DJ might get upwards of 500-1000, if they’re playing my jams.

Someone crying about tips? And they’re trash at whatever they’re supposed to be doing? I’m leaving and never coming back to that venue.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

that was the main reason why i started dj a little more than a year ago. i would like to hear something different from the usual and play very unknown pieces mostly. i also found a nice place to play, i have my own places, but if you are unknown, you usually don't have many guests. you can't really get into the really well visited places - which also offer selected music. and there are very few good places where mainstream music is not played. i avoid mainstream clubs because i can't listen to it anymore. if there are no guests in the first half hour, i close my stream and leave, because i can play at home on my own. but fortunately this doesn't happen so often 😉

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zpo4 said:

I always say inflation is just awful but I know how much it costs to run some of these clubs...it's not cheap.  It's frustrating for most I'm quite sure.

However, with the script...you forgot NO COPY, NO MODIFY, NO TRANSFER...comes with 18 easy to configure notecards.  rofl

And, as far as life choices........well, what can you do.  My niece just had a baby boy, not yet a year old.  She and the father do not have a job that has health care.  So, my niece and her boyfriend are not going to get married until they find a job with health care because as a single Mother you can at least get benefits for the baby and health care.  She works as a bar tender and wants to get back to her nursing job but she needs to refill her license or something like that and then will pay at least 30 years of student nursing loans.  She's still paying student loans on her first nursing license.  

No, health care for these kids...it's horrible....so horrible they cannot afford to get married.   Even my step-daughter from the day she got her first job had health care provided with the job....or health care would kick in as soon as you were at least six months with the employer.  Now, there are almost no jobs with health care.  Cry...I can't believe my niece is going through this.  And, her parents have quite a good income and live almost on the beach with quite a lot of equity in their beach house but they cannot provide health care for them forever.  My sister paid my niece's health care while she was pregnant and it was a cost of nearly $600 dollars a month.  My sister just could not keep paying that much nor can she pay for a family of three which might be what my mortgage used to cost not all that long ago.  

Otherwise, they are a happy family of three trying to figure out what the hell to do.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Zpo4 said:

No.

• Like 2

When I was DJing, my idea of “acceptable tips” was “anything that helps defray the cost of buying new music”.

Purchasing software to generate a quality stream isn’t free, leasing bandwidth TO stream isn’t free and actually owning the copies of the music  (so that the artist eventually gets their piece) costs.

I’d bear the costs of software and bandwidth, but if people want to tip in order to help me play specific new things - then contributions were appreciated but not required.

I never saw SL as an income stream, but if someone is happy with what they hear and wants to make SL less of a money-pit for the ones streaming it; that was awesome.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2968418e157ea148d829

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.