Where Do You Post Your SL Photos?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I post mine on Twitter/X much of the time -- very rarely on Facebook. I like to snap and post photos of my travels and purchases in SL and I miss the old system where you could easily do this with an inworld app, long since retired.

I let my paid account on Flickr go when I saw a lot of people file out of Flickr last year, when they began to enforce their rule that if you have adult content, you must have a paid account. I could see where they were going with this and it's their platform of course, but they also very vaguely defined it as "global norms" which can include...Iran.

I personally don't enjoy NSFW type SL photos in my face but for a lot of people, taking and displaying photos is central to their SL experience.

I've been amazed to find what seems to me self-evident -- that a lot of people left Flickr a year ago -- is challenged now. But maybe they crept back? Or maybe it's like this forums, a few vocal types get the mindshare?

I personally don't get that much out of Flickr and rarely go there except at times like Fantasy Faire. Some stores seem to have left but I still see some top SL merchants, only not with paid accounts.

Google Photos works fine to store a lot of SL photos if you are worried about losing them. But I guess I treat everything on the Internet as ephemeral.

I will say this: whenever I see a merchants' event that doesn't have the photos displayed on seraphimsl.com itself, but link you to their web page or to Facebook, their items automatically seem lower quality to me. Something about it...

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

Im still using flickr, I just had to pay 60 US bux so i can advertise and flash my boobies.  I don't think it's as busy as it was but it's still useful as a merchant.  I use the SL web feed too for lazy pics and for making my SL X Jealous. ♥♥  I also use wordpress so i have a back up of my store images should flickr die. 

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Im still using flickr, I just had to pay 60 US bux so i can advertise and flash my boobies.  I don't think it's as busy as it was but it's still useful as a merchant.  I use the SL web feed too for lazy pics and for making my SL X Jealous. ♥♥  I also use wordpress so i have a back up of my store images should flickr die. 

Yes, I'm glad you reminded me about your back-ups. I rue the day when I used to post SL photos on a service that died, leaving lots of holes in my blog. So now I save them on my hard drive when I do a post to my blog.

• Like 1

For better or for worse (and probably for worse, because it's a pretty wonky platform with lots of issues), I think that Flickr is almost de rigueur for those in the "arts" community in SL. It's simply, by far, the most convenient place to exhibit one's images in one, easy-to-find place, and to group them into coherent "albums" according to logical principles, themes, etc. It's also developed, and still for the most part has, a pretty rich, diverse, and relatively well-defined community of photographers and artists, and, despite its shortcomings, it IS a good place to engage and interact with others in the field.

I think Flickr did lose some people when it changed its rules around NSFW images. It very nearly lost me, in fact, but I really couldn't find an alternate platform that worked as well. Flickr is almost solely about images: on platforms like Twitter and Facebook, these tend to get buried and can't be organized in coherent ways. I think for that reason most people stayed, and some upgraded to Pro.

Facebook and, to a lesser degree, Twitter, are useful for getting the word out about showings and such, and it's much easier to share images there. But if your main aim is to exhibit your work, there really just isn't a very good alternative yet.

• Like 4

Flickr.

Even thou they "cracked down" on free accounts posting restricted content in the past causing many people to leave, I noticed most of those people who were focused on producing art returning. The people who tended to post blatant photos, or screenshots in the adult side of things were mostly the ones who raged against the changes in the ToS back then. While many artist broaden their social networks where they share their works, Flickr remains as the most popular platform for SL graphic content, advertisement and blogging.

• Like 5

Flickr for the arty (or most favored) shots. Happy to pay for it so I sometimes post graphic things, but my Flickr is mostly safe for anyone to view.

Gyazo for quick stuff, useful for in world chats with groups or other Residents.

• Like 1

I've always used Flickr for my photos.  Rowan has a premium account but I could easily go back to basic.  If you reach the limit of MBs used for free, you can just start another account as some people do.  If I were to downgrade, I'd just remove any adult content.  It's still the easiest place I know to see what interests you and not see what doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use flickr to upload things but always save to disk before uploading to there..

I don't do any social media things or post them anywhere else really other than the forums here.. A lot of my things lately I upload to flickr, I upload as private and then link from there..

I'm really not using it for anything but a place to upload things.. I wasn't really ever enticed with the whole social media things and  didn't care for flickr heading more and more in that direction.. I'm just glad we have the options to set permissions  so I can kind of stay out of any rings that any of my titles for my images that might get keyworded..

I much rather just link my things myself than them travel all around on their own.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I store my pictures on my PC and only occasionally post one here on the forums.
And then there are the marketplace pictures of course posted on the marketplace.

• Like 2

I still use Flickr -- though I did remove a lot of pictures when I considered giving up my Premium membership (but ultimately I didn't get rid of Premium).   All of my pictures, whether still on Flickr or not, are on my computer.  I don't use any social media platforms, so no pictures anywhere else.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

I have all the SL photos I've taken on my hard drive and cloud storage.  I've had a Flickr account from time to time, and when I have, I post some of my SL photos there - generally ones from when I've been out sightseeing (but not all - I have to be in the mood for posting on Flickr).  I also post some photos in various relevant Forum threads from time to time, but I've gone through a period of not doing that as much as I did a few years ago. 

I stayed on Flickr, I just deleted all my NSFW stuff. Which was necessary anyway, to stay below the 1000-pic limit. They have priced me out of the possibility of going pro.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3

I tend to store all my SL images on my computer. The ones I think are worth editing in Photoshop often make it to the SL Form in different places; landscapes, Tasteful Nudes, SL today, Avatar Looks today...

I mostly avoid posting the same image in multiple places.

I like finding the people from SL posting on Flickr. And there is the group FOCUS Art Magazine which ties Flickr and SL together.

If I like the edited results of images and think they are interesting I'll post them on Flickr. If I think they are sexy enough I'll post them on Slushe.com. However, SL images are definitely looked down on at Slushe. Those posting there are talented and perverse.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:19 PM, Maitimo said:

I stayed on Flickr, I just deleted all my NSFW stuff. Which was necessary anyway, to stay below the 1000-pic limit. They have priced me out of the possibility of going pro.

What do they charge for that?   All these 10 dollar or so a month charges for this and that are getting to be too much!

18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What do they charge for that?   All these 10 dollar or so a month charges for this and that are getting to be too much!

£8 a month (around $9-10) or £65 for a year (about $80)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

They give the option to do a 2 year pro which I did in 2022.. That cost me 145.00 back then..

As much as I use it for uploading and linking and not having to worry about space, it was worth it to me..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.