1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

My mind races back to the 90s, when my son and a friend drove my car around a nearby farm and through a manure pile without bothering to tell me. It caked nicely in the wheel wells and around the exhaust pipes and smelled quite ripe the next day. 

Reminds me of Back to the Future where Biff hits a manure truck and the stuff gets dumped on him!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

a-portrait-of-second-life-founder-philip

He's 10 years younger than me and last night I found my first gray hair. 

OMG I'M TURNING GRAY! 😱

He looks very distinguished now. Better in grey than he looked in brown, I think.

And at least he has hair, unlike me...  :D  Mine all fell out before it even had time to turn grey.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sorry.  I always play the ones you post and try to post some myself, but this has been a really busy week....  :(

Oh, I always play yours too.  I try to play the ones from everyone but sometimes can't get past the first few bars. :D  Hope your week eases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The snow drifted up to 5 feet at my back door.  We managed to dig to the porch stairs and then I fell in the snow and couldn't get up.  My daughter had to dig me out because my heels sank lower than the rest of my feet and reclining in the snow bank made it very difficult to to get up.  We waited until an hour before sunset to even try to dig the path from the door to the stairs for my dog (the snow is deeper than the dog's height). An hour later and the path already has a another inch or two more snow.  It's supposed to stop around 6 pm (another 15 minutes) Then the temperature is supposed to drop, which is why we bothered to try at all before tomorrow.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

We are on a mini-vacation to Asheville, NC.  It snowed last night -- roughly an inch -- and they pretty much shut the world down.  My husband and I couldn't help but laugh, since we are from Colorado and wouldn't even blink at only an inch of snow.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kali Wylder said:

The snow drifted up to 5 feet at my back door.  We managed to dig to the porch stairs and then I fell in the snow and couldn't get up.  My daughter had to dig me out because my heels sank lower than the rest of my feet and reclining in the snow bank made it very difficult to to get up.  We waited until an hour before sunset to even try to dig the path from the door to the stairs for my dog (the snow is deeper than the dog's height). An hour later and the path already has a another inch or two more snow.  It's supposed to stop around 6 pm (another 15 minutes) Then the temperature is supposed to drop, which is why we bothered to try at all before tomorrow.

We've had over 70 cms of snow in the past week and a half -- about 2 1/2 feet. With the piles from shoveling the sidewalks, and the piles left by the snow plough, there are essentially walls of snow up to about 4 feet in places separating the sidewalk from the street. Makes crossing the road a lot of fun.

My dog is a northern dog -- a rescue animal who is more or less half German shepherd and half collie (which means she's big and scary smart), and she LOVES the snow. Her latest frolic has been to scale the snow mountains in an attempt to drag me over them onto the road. And one of these days she's going to succeed . . . she's stronger than I am!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Here you go! Have fun!

*runs back inside, slamming the door shut (and locking it!) before heading for the fire in the fireplace and the nice hot cuppa waiting on the table

😛

snow-shovels-testing-batch-lowres-.jpg

Actual thought process.

A. Do it today while the snow is still fluffy and easy to move.

B. Wait 'til Wed or Thurs when it's 40 degrees and rainy to see how much it cleans up.

Chose A. But only because Friday is going to be single digits and will ice all the rain.

IMG-1372.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Finite said:

Actual thought process.

A. Do it today while the snow is still fluffy and easy to move.

B. Wait 'til Wed or Thurs when it's 40 degrees and rainy to see how much it cleans up.

Chose A. But only because Friday is going to be single digits and will ice all the rain.

IMG-1372.jpg

So, all those snow shovels came in right handy. \o/ Yay!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Major pet peeve: Mondays

Mondays: I need a day off to recoup after my days off.
   Tuesdays: If I survived Monday, Tuesdays can be quite nice - half day in the workshop. Freedom!
   Wednesdays: I wear black.
   Thursdays: I also wear black .. Wait, I always wear black.
   Fridays: Another half day, and it's weekend time! Time to do all those things I wanted to do all week ..
   Saturdays: .. But first, doing absolutely nothing ..
   Sundays: .. And more of that, just one more mome-- Oh shoot, it's Monday again.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Mondays: I need a day off to recoup after my days off.
   Tuesdays: If I survived Monday, Tuesdays can be quite nice - half day in the workshop. Freedom!
   Wednesdays: I wear black.
   Thursdays: I also wear black .. Wait, I always wear black.
   Fridays: Another half day, and it's weekend time! Time to do all those things I wanted to do all week ..
   Saturdays: .. But first, doing absolutely nothing ..
   Sundays: .. And more of that, just one more mome-- Oh shoot, it's Monday again.

97420046_2979739975481519_11400252339404

• Haha 4

Pet Peeve: People.
Pet Peeve2: Not being able to sleep more than 4 hours a night. 

Pet Peeve3: Goddamn doctors neither giving me medication for restless legs syndrome because "You're too young for that!" nor giving me sedatives to be able to sleep because "I don't feel comfortable prescribing that to someone so young". 

Pet Peeve4: unable to get a script working the way I want it to.
Pet Peeve5: Goddamn people.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Pet Peeve: People.
Pet Peeve2: Not being able to sleep more than 4 hours a night. 

Pet Peeve3: Goddamn doctors neither giving me medication for restless legs syndrome because "You're too young for that!" nor giving me sedatives to be able to sleep because "I don't feel comfortable prescribing that to someone so young". 

Pet Peeve4: unable to get a script working the way I want it to.
Pet Peeve5: Goddamn people.

Can't do anything about people but if it is available for you try over the counter melatonin for sleeping. Start with 2mg dosage, do not exceed 5mg. If, like me, you sometimes still wake after only 2 - 4 hours and can't get back to sleep within 15 minutes, it's ok to take another as long as you are not exceeding the 5mg limit. If necessary, to kickstart your Circadian rhythm, you can go as high as 10mg for a single does as long as you don't maintain it for more than a week or two at most.

Melatonin is the one thing everyone can take. The other thing I have to do in conjunction with the melatonin in order to get at least 7 hours of actual sleep may not be legal where you live. 

Once you have established a regular sleep schedule, you should be able to stop taking the melatonin except on a rare occasion when your stress levels are just too high to allow your mind to shut up.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Can't do anything about people but if it is available for you try over the counter melatonin for sleeping. Start with 2mg dosage, do not exceed 5mg. If, like me, you sometimes still wake after only 2 - 4 hours and can't get back to sleep within 15 minutes, it's ok to take another as long as you are not exceeding the 5mg limit. If necessary, to kickstart your Circadian rhythm, you can go as high as 10mg for a single does as long as you don't maintain it for more than a week or two at most.

Melatonin is the one thing everyone can take. The other thing I have to do in conjunction with the melatonin in order to get at least 7 hours of actual sleep may not be legal where you live. 

Once you have established a regular sleep schedule, you should be able to stop taking the melatonin except on a rare occasion when your stress levels are just too high to allow your mind to shut up.

Thank you! I already use it, and while it helps me fall asleep on most days (I'm stress incarnated!), it sadly doesn't help once I wake up again, no matter how little I've slept. I just get even more tired if I use it then, but cannot sleep, because my legs are basically starting to dance on their own at that point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Thank you! I already use it, and while it helps me fall asleep on most days (I'm stress incarnated!), it sadly doesn't help once I wake up again, no matter how little I've slept. I just get even more tired if I use it then, but cannot sleep, because my legs are basically starting to dance on their own at that point.

I have had RLS off and on since childhood. I had a very bad period a couple of years ago, went days without sleep. Mirapex worked until it caused augmentation and made it worse. Gabapentin worked briefly but knocked me out and is addictive. But I got lucky, one trip to the acupuncturist stopped it cold, until just recently. Now I am trying ashwaganda and so far so good, have an appt with acupuncturist.

Never take antihistamines with RLS unless you want to do jumping jacks all night.

I do eat gummies to sleep all night, RLS or not

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Growing up I had bad night cramps in my calves, aka Charley horse. Sometimes they were so bad and painful the only way to stop it was to literally beat my calf muscles with my fist. They had stopped by the time I was in high school, but they started again about 2 years ago. That was before I started the melatonin. Now that I've finally gotten my Circadian rhythm back on track and can average 7 hours sleep most nights, they've stopped again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: For me, the melatonin lets me go to sleep but it's the other that keeps me asleep. I've been known to have a bowl at 2 or 3 am before.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Sad 1