3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, back to pet peeves.

I've just been informed that Virtual Secrets accepts money by those who want to keep their "scandals" off the web site.

Should I be surprised? Probably not. It's a short step from pandering to drama-mongers, to profiting off them through extortion.

I had to go and Google Virtual Secrets (I know, where have I been hiding - my basement, that's where!). How on earth do you know about all these websites and forums? I found I got a mention in a Phoenix group chat one day last week. I thought my ears were burning. Mutual friends have ears! 

Pet peeve number three thousand, seven hundred and eighty six: being at the airport when I really should be at the railway station!

You guys really aren't missing anything on VS. I heard about it when I came across a SL video on YouTube where people got together and read out some of the posts, so naturally I went there to check it out thinking it might be interesting.

I think the funniest thing I've seen on there was a missing poster for men's foreheads, the rest is just screenshots of people's inworld profiles with insults written all over it because Tattoo'd Demon Man #29502105 cheated. Half the posts aren't even legible because of tiny, blurry blue fonts on pink backgrounds but it's mainly just "exposing" cheaters or SL families, or RP sim communities firing shots at each other. It's more sad than anything, to be honest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Why must you use terms that denigrate feminism itself, using the most tired of stereotypes (Radical! Bad bad bad!), when making points like this? Does making this argument necessitate invalidating and demonising the women's rights movement?

I have a peeve about this. 

As Scylla mentioned, It's the term the radfems use for themselves,  not a slur. While radical isn't a negative term either but neutral depending on context.  (in fact many would call many of my own views radical!) But of course, Terfs sorry "Gender critical" types could hardly be called feminist anyway. What with the Transphobia, racism, ableism and other such nonsense they spout. I myself am a feminist,  thus my ire at them because they not only pose a personal  threat to me (the details of which I won't be sharing on a public forum ofc), but also undermine everything I believe and hold dear when it comes to gender equality.  My issue is never with feminism, but those self proclaimed who are anything but.

It's my biggest peeve when people take one part of a paragraph  or sentence and assume the worst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

I think the funniest thing I've seen on there was a missing poster for men's foreheads ...

I saw that too and had to grin 😁 and i am still reading. SOOOO much Drama and i am not involved :)

I thought first its about underwear .. messed the URL up with victorias secrets and blinked when i saw i was wrong 🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

As Scylla mentioned, It's the term the radfems use for themselves,  not a slur. While radical isn't a negative term either but neutral depending on context.  (in fact many would call many of my own views radical!) But of course, Terfs sorry "Gender critical" types could hardly be called feminist anyway.

As Scylla mentioned, a lot of them use the term "gender critical". You claim "radfem" is not a slur then every time you use it, like right now, make it interchangeable with what most definitely is a slur, invoking every negative stereotype about feminism. And you explicitly state that you consider it interchangeable with "gender critical".

You even have to explain why it's a slur in case anyone could have missed it by now, and as if it's ever levelled at men. (May I add that "terf" is also just a really crap insult? The acronym doesn't spell out anything clever or funny. It's like "your mum" for the present day.)

Quite apart from anything else, the people you're attempting to invalidate and silence by using it are simply not radical feminists 99% of the time so it's not even faintly accurate. You're not saving it for a particular brand of historic feminism that most people couldn't identify any more. Don't make me laugh. 

If your points are so valid and well substantiated, you can make them without using these lazy, misogynistic slurs that you insist aren't slurs while using them alongside slurs and explaining why they're slurs. I'm sure you're aware that a common perception of people who align themselves with "terf" and "radfem" as insults is that they're anti-woman. Why on earth you'd want to feed that is beyond me. 

Perhaps you can channel the energy you want to spend on defending rubbish insults into thinking of ways to make your points without using them. If they're such good points, it shouldn't be that hard.

• Thanks 1

I really really hate sounding like a scold or a forum cop . . . but this conversation is spiraling out of control.

It's a really really important conversation -- it's about identity, and validity, and the right to live free from fear and hate, and free of prejudice. It's about safeguarding what has been accomplished, and about moving forward to accomplish more.

And it's precisely because it's such an important topic of conversation that I'm going to plead with everyone to turn the heat down a little.

I understand the heat -- there's a lot at stake. I totally get the anger. But at the moment, we're heading for a major intervention by the mods here. There have been some worthwhile things said, and I'd prefer they not all go "poof." If the passion people feel here results in this discussion being simply erased, then it's accomplished nothing.

This is also probably not the place for this discussion: this started as a "peeve," and has developed into other "peeves," but at this point we're hijacking this thread.

No one who knows anything about me is likely to think I'm trying to shut this discussion down. But it needs to be moved, and we all need to step back a bit. There is no one in this discussion for whom I don't have both respect and affection -- I think we can manage that?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today's peeve: 

There is natural humour to be found in the darkest places, but when humour is used in a malicious way, to troll or upset people further when they are already struggling with the loss of someone, then that's just downright nasty and uncalled for and unacceptable. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

• Moles

To my mind, this thread is a place for friendly and light-hearted discussion about things that peeve us, not for heated debate about matters on which we have strongly-held views.

(My pet peeves include having to clean up and lock threads).

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

• Moles
8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm peeved that @Quartz Molemole, who knows damned well I raid his fridge in the wee hours, hasn't seen fit to leave anything I actually like to eat in there.

Since I'm sure demons earn far more than do moles (Let none admire That riches grow in hell; that soil may best Deserve the precious bane) why should I fill my fridge with things for you to scoff?

Though, since I'm good-natured and generous, tell me what you like and I'll consider getting some in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Though, since I'm good-natured and generous, tell me what you like and I'll consider getting some in.

Well, as a vampire ..

Although, would you feel so inclined as to accommodate my kind, I'd suggest the pantry rather than the fridge. So they don't nick your milk, I mean. 

Just now, Quartz Mole said:

How do you feel about black pudding?

I very much enjoy it! Served with lingonberry jam, sour cream, and bacon - it's a classic around here.

I do have a pet peeve related to it though - most brands put way too much sugar in it, and it's a bit messy to make your own. 

16 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Since I'm sure demons earn far more than do moles (Let none admire That riches grow in hell; that soil may best Deserve the precious bane) why should I fill my fridge with things for you to scoff?

Anything flambé should make her happy.

e311071cbca3bd86_flambe.jpg

• Haha 6

38 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Odd you, in your capacity as a mole, should accuse Maddy of having enriched herself. Are you not yourself (to quote the proceeding lines) one who has "with impious hands / Rifl'd the bowels of their mother Earth / For Treasures"?

I suspect you're a confederate of the demon.

(Never trust a Milton-quoting Mole.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

• Moles
38 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I very much enjoy it! Served with lingonberry jam, sour cream, and bacon - it's a classic around here.

I do have a pet peeve related to it though - most brands put way too much sugar in it, and it's a bit messy to make your own. 

I don't think we put any sugar in our black puddings in the UK

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/all-you-need-know-about-black-pudding

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Odd you, in your capacity as a mole, should accuse Maddy of having enriched herself. Are you not yourself (to quote the proceeding lines) one who has "with impious hands / Rifl'd the bowels of their mother Earth / For Treasures"?

And here let those
Who boast in mortal things, and wond'ring tell
Of Babel, and the works of Memphian Kings
Learn how thir greatest Monuments of Fame,
And Strength and Art are easily out-done
By Spirits reprobate, and Soon™
What in an age they with incessant toyle
And hands innumerable scarce perform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You jest. There's no seashore within 600 miles of your house. Besides, what do you have against fish?

The fridge is in Quartz's house, which I believe is closer to the ocean than mine. Also, don't underestimate how far I can drag a corpse fridge.

I did say I'd weld the fridge shut, though I suppose salt water will make short work of that.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3