43 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have had RLS off and on since childhood. I had a very bad period a couple of years ago, went days without sleep. Mirapex worked until it caused augmentation and made it worse. Gabapentin worked briefly but knocked me out and is addictive. But I got lucky, one trip to the acupuncturist stopped it cold, until just recently. Now I am trying ashwaganda and so far so good, have an appt with acupuncturist.

Never take antihistamines with RLS unless you want to do jumping jacks all night.

I do eat gummies to sleep all night, RLS or not

Might not even need acupuncture. Acupressure may work just as well if not better.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Growing up I had bad night cramps in my calves

I get those periodically.

Nothing like waking up at 2.42 to leap out of bed and hug the doorframe whilst pushing your toes as hard as you can into the floor. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I get those periodically.

Nothing like waking up at 2.42 to leap out of bed and hug the doorframe whilst pushing your toes as hard as you can into the floor. 

I can't even get out of bed when it happens. If I did there would probably be holes in the wall between the bedroom and bathroom from my fist. People think apartment walls are thin. Pfft! Mobile home walls are thinner and have zero insulation. Only the exterior walls have any kind of insulation.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have had RLS off and on since childhood. I had a very bad period a couple of years ago, went days without sleep. Mirapex worked until it caused augmentation and made it worse. Gabapentin worked briefly but knocked me out and is addictive. But I got lucky, one trip to the acupuncturist stopped it cold, until just recently. Now I am trying ashwaganda and so far so good, have an appt with acupuncturist.

Never take antihistamines with RLS unless you want to do jumping jacks all night.

I do eat gummies to sleep all night, RLS or not

So much for "you're too young for that!". >_> 
I only ever had one try out-sitting of accupuncture, mainly around the head, I didn't notice any different, but that may be because I was crashing from one trainwreck into another -  I am absolutely willing to give it another shot. Gonna write those down and do some research if we have the same meds here. Super tempted for the Gabapentin, but that might just be my exhausted self talking, lol.  But even if that would be my only option, I'd just try to not take them all the time. Right now, I'd be super happy for 1-2 nights of full sleep. >_< I don't have to take antihistamines, thankfully, but will keep that in mind if I ever do. 
Melatonin-gummies, or something else?
Tried out different remedies in the past - always have been a bad sleeper, valerian-extracts didn't do any for me, neither did lavender. 

33 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Growing up I had bad night cramps in my calves, aka Charley horse. Sometimes they were so bad and painful the only way to stop it was to literally beat my calf muscles with my fist. They had stopped by the time I was in high school, but they started again about 2 years ago. That was before I started the melatonin. Now that I've finally gotten my Circadian rhythm back on track and can average 7 hours sleep most nights, they've stopped again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: For me, the melatonin lets me go to sleep but it's the other that keeps me asleep. I've been known to have a bowl at 2 or 3 am before.

Oh my god, those are the worst! I thankfully have them very seldome, but if I do, I'm starting to pray. 
Well, it's still illegal here, so no bowls for me, but yeah, I'd try that as well. (regardless of RLS, lol)

Thanks guys, that's been super helpfull for me. I'm less peeves at humanity now. ❤️

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Melatonin-gummies, or something else?

Melatonin does nothing for me. 

I take Delta 8 THC or CBD gummies or a combo. Legal in Texas now. 

So far I am holding the fort w ashwaganda, only had to do gabapentin twice. I really don’t like taking anything physically addictive tho. 

• Like 3

For leg cramps, try a couple swigs of dill pickle juice.  Stops the cramps right now.  I don't know why it works, I just know that it does. 

As far as RLS, I don't know if pickle juice has any effect.  The last time I had RLS, I was out of pickle juice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Growing up I had bad night cramps in my calves, aka Charley horse. Sometimes they were so bad and painful the only way to stop it was to literally beat my calf muscles with my fist. They had stopped by the time I was in high school, but they started again about 2 years ago. That was before I started the melatonin. Now that I've finally gotten my Circadian rhythm back on track and can average 7 hours sleep most nights, they've stopped again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OMG I have this very same issue, except it's mostly in my feet. I've had it on and off since I was a kid and I tend to blame the ballet classes (though it's probably not that - I'm just grumpy when it happens and need to blame something). The absolute worst worst worst part is getting it in my right foot - along the inside. The pain oh my god. Then I leap out of bed to stand, walk, kick, bounce, stretch and suddenly bam, the cramp in the left ankle. Throw myself on the bed clutching my knees to my chest crying in frustration because I'm exhausted and it's 3am, and now my left calf locks up. Then hey, some toes! Roll over and sit on my knees. Flop back around like a fish. Flip flop, stand sit, lay kneel, cry stretch weep. 

The pickle juice suggestion isn't a bad one and I've heard it works in a pinch, but there are stairs between myself and the fridge and unless I wanna roll myself down them like a cannonball, that's not happening lol. One thing that has helped a lot is keeping a yoga strap near the bed so I can wrap it around my foot/toes and stretch enough to ease some of the tension before it spirals out of control. Something that did make them much less frequent - more daily stretching + drinking more water + buying more nuts, seeds, and dried fruit to make my own trail mixes. It's been more rare since I started all that.

I'm not sure if this counts as a peeve since it's more of a raaaaaaaaaaaage, but this would definitely be mine!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TT120 said:

For leg cramps, try a couple swigs of dill pickle juice.  Stops the cramps right now.  I don't know why it works, I just know that it does. 

I've heard that too, but haven't tried it. It's supposed to have something to do with the vinegar in it, but I have no idea how vinegar in your stomach would target a cramp in your legs.  I have also been told that cramping is more likely if you are dehydrated, which sort of makes sense.  The thing is, if you drink extra water before you go to bed, you'll just have to get up an extra time to pee, and then you'll feed insomnia. There's no way to win. 🙁

• Like 2

I am my own pet peeve. Sometimes I get really annoyed at fiddly little details and my brain stops working. Like, I had written this whole forum post about the shop n hop links being completely incorrect, except I was looking at the list from last year. And so, now I'm not just annoyed with the thing (which was total user error) now I'm annoyed at myself.

Brains are weird, y'all. 

• Like 4

Pointless review.

I need to replace some sleep wear and I feel the need to slap all those women left and right, who leave reviews like "Looks cute, haven't worn it yet" or inform me, that they actually don't know if it holds up after washing it. Even better are the ones who have washed it once and think that says something to praise. THATS THE BARE MINIMUM, LISA!!! 🤬

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, TT120 said:

For leg cramps, try a couple swigs of dill pickle juice.

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Potassium and magnesium both help with leg cramps.  These get depleted especially if taking any type of diuretic for high blood pressure.  My mom used to get them.

Bananas. :) 

Pickled bananas!
https://www.chefspencil.com/recipe/guineos-en-escabeche-pickled-bananas/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Pointless review.

I need to replace some sleep wear and I feel the need to slap all those women left and right, who leave reviews like "Looks cute, haven't worn it yet" or inform me, that they actually don't know if it holds up after washing it. Even better are the ones who have washed it once and think that says something to praise. THATS THE BARE MINIMUM, LISA!!! 🤬

Reminds me of the folks that ask questions on Amazon about a product and someone comes along with an answer of "I don't know, I haven't used it yet".

Why the F*** do they bother even answering then?

• Like 2

I too suffer from infrequent but shocking calve cramps.
Surprisingly it is when I am totally super fit/ripped that it happens. (not often these days lololol).
(older full size rear wheel, competition road/track bicycle on a stand as an exercise
bike/computer/screen/fans/load cell etc).
And I do mean crying type of pain, where it looks like your calf muscle has gone full incredible hulk.
Only ever one at a time and never ever when exercising or soon after.
A fave GF/nurse told me its a lack of salt. Which I saw similar already mentioned.
It's a bit depressing because when fit & trim I have lovely calves, but when playing up they
become "possessed" and sort of explode to about more than twice their size o.0 it seems.
Hurts sooo bad. 😭
Like twice/three times a year?

Edited by Maryanne Solo