17 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Unfortunately once a dog has killed chickens it develops a bloodlust and it will be hard to keep them from killing more at every opportunity it gets to escape. This is how it was explained to me when a dog I had managed to get out and ran with some others to do that very thing. The first time we let it go thinking it would not do it again but it managed to escape another time shortly thereafter and went right back to the farm where it had killed the first batch of chickens and did it again. We wound up having the dog put down. 

Another, more humane option is to let the dog go to another home where chickens are not a potential problem. Some dogs have a strong hunting instinct, as did my husky. When I was in a training class with her, calling her to me, she took a 90 degree turn to go after rats in the bushes. She swam after ducks, but didn't catch any. Living in town though, we never had to worry about her going after the neighbor's chickens, because there were no chickens around. There were wild turkeys, but they were as big as she was & I never saw her chase one.

Edited by Persephone Emerald

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Another, more humane option is to let the dog go to another home where chickens are not a potential problem. Some dogs have a strong hunting instinct, as did my husky. When I was in a training class with her, calling her to me, she took a 90 degree turn to go after rats in the bushes. She swam after ducks, but didn't catch any. Living in town though, we never had to worry about her going after the neighbors chickens, because there were no chickens around. There were wild turkeys, but they were as big as she was & I never saw her chase one.

Yes I kind of realize that most think that way but it was explained to me that the bloodlust will not be solely for chickens but rather any kind of fresh blood whatever its source. That could include other small animals or even small children. Once they have the bloodlust, they become untrustworthy.

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Unfortunately once a dog has killed chickens it develops a bloodlust and it will be hard to keep them from killing more at every opportunity it gets to escape. This is how it was explained to me when a dog I had managed to get out and ran with some others to do that very thing. The first time we let it go thinking it would not do it again but it managed to escape another time shortly thereafter and went right back to the farm where it had killed the first batch of chickens and did it again. We wound up having the dog put down. 

Google is your friend:

"A Flock Guarding breed might get in a fight with a coyote or wolf, and it might cause the wild animal to bleed during the fight, that doesn't then make the flock guarding dog go insane. Blood doesn't make dogs go crazy. The blood thing is a myth."

"No, dogs do not develop bloodlust. The idea that dogs become bloodthirsty after tasting blood or eating raw meat is a myth and an old wives tale. In fact, eating fresh meat can calm dogs and make them more suitable to be around children than dry fed dogs."

"No, eating a dead chicken doesn't necessarily mean a dog has developed a bloodlust. However, some dogs have a natural instinct to chase and attack chickens, which can be reinforced by selective breeding. Dogs that have not been properly trained or socialized may not understand that chickens are off-limits. Dogs that are left alone for long periods without mental stimulation or physical exercise may also resort to chasing or attacking chickens out of boredom or frustration."

"According to Quora, tasting blood doesn't change a dog's behavior. For example, many hunting hounds taste blood when retrieving games, but it doesn't change their behavior. Some say that once a dog kills another animal, it develops a taste for blood and you'll never be able to stop it. However, others say that blood doesn't make dogs go crazy. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes I kind of realize that most think that way but it was explained to me that the bloodlust will not be solely for chickens but rather any kind of fresh blood whatever its source. That could include other small animals or even small children. Once they have the bloodlust, they become untrustworthy.

I realize this is what some people think, but it's not true. Being aggressive toward a dog makes it become aggressive. A dog may also bite a person when it's in the middle of a fight with another dog, and presumably when it's in the middle of killing another animal.

My wolf-husky stalked, killed and ate a kitten when she was about a year old, but she was not an aggressive dog with "blood-lust". She was even afraid of a lamb a neighbor had in their backyard. My husky was also not aggressive. She lived peacefully with cats and small dogs. Dogs can be trained to understand that some animals are prey, while others are friends or roommates.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Another, more humane option is to let the dog go to another home where chickens are not a potential problem. Some dogs have a strong hunting instinct, as did my husky. When I was in a training class with her, calling her to me, she took a 90 degree turn to go after rats in the bushes. She swam after ducks, but didn't catch any. Living in town though, we never had to worry about her going after the neighbor's chickens, because there were no chickens around. There were wild turkeys, but they were as big as she was & I never saw her chase one.

I have a cure for dogs that go after chickens..

My rooster Tyson. We named him after Mike Tyson.. We didn't just give him the name when we got him.. He earned it against dogs cats and just about anything that felt like getting on the chickens. He's got some serious talons too..

My husband wanted to call him Big C, but I said we aren't calling him that!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have a cure for dogs that go after chickens..

My rooster Tyson. We named him after Mike Tyson.. We didn't just give him the name when we got him.. He earned it against dogs cats and just about anything that felt like getting on the chickens. He's got some serious talons too..

My husband wanted to call him Big C, but I said we aren't calling him that!

Ironically, Tyson is also the name of a major US chicken producer.

image.thumb.png.b51d67570319db71c2be13bf7d4287cb.png

• Haha 1

Just to clarify, my peeve also includes goats and horses. 

At any rate, I certainly do not trust anyone who doesn't love dogs and/or cats. Personal principle. One or the other or both. If neither, I'm not trusting your butt worth a damn.

In special cases, I'll accept birds, gerbils, hamsters, Guinea pigs, chinchillas, sugar gliders, mice and rats, reptiles and/or amphibians, fish, bunnies, horses, farm animals, and ferrets as substitutes. 

No excuses, ya gotta love one of those. You don't have to own anything yourself, but ya gotta love em or I want nothing to do with ya.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing Stuffs
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Just to clarify, my peeve also includes goats and horses. 

At any rate, I certainly do not trust anyone who doesn't love dogs and/or cats. Personal principle. One or the other or both. If neither, I'm not trusting your butt worth a damn.

In special cases, I'll accept birds, gerbils, hamsters, Guinea pigs, chinchillas, sugar gliders, mice and rats, reptiles and/or amphibians, fish, bunnies, horses, farm animals, and ferrets as substitutes. 

At any rate, ya gotta love one of those. You don't have to own anything yourself, but ya gotta love em or I want nothing to do with ya.

I agree. When a person owns a pet and cares for it appropriately, this shows that they can care about someone besides themself. I understand that some people can't be around dogs or cats if they're allergic to them, but they should still show them respect as another living being with needs and feelings. 

My former roommate was riding in a car with a coworker who tried to run over a dog, but she wasn't sure if that meant he was a bad person or not. I was horrified and told her, "If he would do that, what would he do to a coworker behind their back?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I agree. When a person owns a pet and cares for it appropriately, this shows that they can care about someone besides themself. I understand that some people can't be around dogs or cats if they're allergic to them, but they should still show them respect as another living being with needs and feelings.

For me, it's not even about the caretaking aspect at all. Just in my experience, it's very, very rare to find someone who doesn't love pets or animals in general. I don't have anything myself, but the moment I step into a house with a pet, it's mine until I leave. Gimme all the fun times and cuddles and playtime and none of the actual hard work, thanks. Funny enough, I'm the exact same way with kids, lol. 😂

On the very odd chance I meet or see someone who willingly harms an animal (or dislikes them all entirely), I'm immediately put off and wouldn't want to go within ten feet of them. That is very sus and I don't like it. I've known people who don't like being around other people or kids even, but they were nuts about dogs (or cats, or something else).

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My former roommate was riding in a car with a coworker who tried to run over a dog, but she wasn't sure if that meant he was a bad person or not. I was horrified and told her, "If he would do that, what would he do to a coworker behind their back?"

Okay, so, I would've gotten out of the car immediately. Don't care if it meant standing around waiting for an Uber or walking 10 miles down the highway or whatever. Absofreakinlutely not spending another second around someone like that.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

who tried to run over a dog, but she wasn't sure if that meant he was a bad person or not.

omg-whah! gG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Okay, so, I would've gotten out of the car immediately. Don't care if it meant standing around waiting for an Uber or walking 10 miles down the highway or whatever. Absofreakinlutely not spending another second around someone like that.

12 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

omg-whah! gG

I misremembered the story, but the basic event was the same. It was another woman coworker who was in the car with the guy, not my roommate. When the guy tried to run over a dog that was coming at the car and barking at it, the woman told him to stop and started crying. He didn't run over the dog, but she was understandably upset. He then told this story himself to my roommate and tried to excuse his actions by saying he was from Mexico, and that in Mexico people would run over a dog (which I don't agree with). Because my roommate wasn't sure what she should think about this incident, I told her she should tell her therapist about it, but I also told her I thought she should avoid this guy in the future and not continue to be friends with him. She was concerned that he laughed at the other coworker who was obviously upset and crying, but she didn't instantly think he was potentially dangerous for trying to run over a dog.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I misremembered the story, but the basic event was the same. It was another woman coworker who was in the car with the guy, not my roommate. When the guy tried to run over a dog that was coming at the car and barking at it, the woman told him to stop and started crying. He didn't run over the dog, but she was understandably upset. He then told this story himself to my roommate and tried to excuse his actions by saying he was from Mexico, and that in Mexico people would run over a dog (which I don't agree with). Because my roommate wasn't sure what she should think about this incident, I told her she should tell her therapist about it, but I also told her I thought she should avoid this guy in the future and not continue to be friends with him. She was concerned that he laughed at the other coworker who was obviously upset and crying, but she didn't instantly think he was potentially dangerous for trying to run over a dog.

That correction didn't make it any better.

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

She was concerned that he laughed at the other coworker who was obviously upset and crying, but she didn't instantly think he was potentially dangerous for trying to run over a dog.

In fact, it made it worse.

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

she didn't instantly think he was potentially dangerous for trying to run over a dog.

I sure would.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Google is your friend:

"A Flock Guarding breed might get in a fight with a coyote or wolf, and it might cause the wild animal to bleed during the fight, that doesn't then make the flock guarding dog go insane. Blood doesn't make dogs go crazy. The blood thing is a myth."

"No, dogs do not develop bloodlust. The idea that dogs become bloodthirsty after tasting blood or eating raw meat is a myth and an old wives tale. In fact, eating fresh meat can calm dogs and make them more suitable to be around children than dry fed dogs."

"No, eating a dead chicken doesn't necessarily mean a dog has developed a bloodlust. However, some dogs have a natural instinct to chase and attack chickens, which can be reinforced by selective breeding. Dogs that have not been properly trained or socialized may not understand that chickens are off-limits. Dogs that are left alone for long periods without mental stimulation or physical exercise may also resort to chasing or attacking chickens out of boredom or frustration."

"According to Quora, tasting blood doesn't change a dog's behavior. For example, many hunting hounds taste blood when retrieving games, but it doesn't change their behavior. Some say that once a dog kills another animal, it develops a taste for blood and you'll never be able to stop it. However, others say that blood doesn't make dogs go crazy. "

Google simply gathers links to people's opinions and may depending on its algorithms, promote one view over another. Some authoritative, some not. It is one's own biases that may select one linked opinion over another. 

Anyway the situation was a long time ago, long before Google and one had to listen to the old wives, farmers and animal control agents who all said the same thing, "the dog will do it again". I chose to ignore their warnings and after paying for the 5 chickens initially, kept the dog. The second time less than a month later cost me 27 chickens. So along with the warnings, I could now add my experience. For the safety of children along with the insistence of animal control and the threat of a fine along with paying for the chickens, I thought it best to have the dog put down as there was no guarantee that the dog wouldn't do it a third time along with the possibility that it might go after my daughter (5 at the time) or one of her playmates. 

Here is a Reddit link from Google wherein a number of owners relate their own experience. https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/comments/v9p25p/blood_lust_in_a_husky/

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My wolf-husky stalked, killed and ate a kitten when she was about a year old, but she was not an aggressive dog with "blood-lust". She was even afraid of a lamb a neighbor had in their backyard. My husky was also not aggressive. She lived peacefully with cats and small dogs. Dogs can be trained to understand that some animals are prey, while others are friends or roommates.

Bit of a difference though I would still be wary. In your case the husky killed and ate one cat, not wantonly killing of 27 chickens and not even eating one. I guess your husky was just hungry and besides, huskies are somewhat known for it, especially if they have wolf in them. I remember that from when I owned a malamute-wolf cross. 

Even then I would only feel it right to forewarn of the history should it ever be put up for adoption. But that's just me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just love this thread...you never know what it will evolve into.  Now it's dead chickens.

There is no such thing as a dead chicken, the correct term is evolving chickens. Because the next phase is food..xD

• Haha 3

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Bit of a difference though I would still be wary. In your case the husky killed and ate one cat, not wantonly killing of 27 chickens and not even eating one. I guess your husky was just hungry and besides, huskies are somewhat known for it, especially if they have wolf in them. I remember that from when I owned a malamute-wolf cross. 

Even then I would only feel it right to forewarn of the history should it ever be put up for adoption. But that's just me.

In my case my young wolf-dog killed and ate 1 cat. She was 83% wolf (according to the guy I bought her from) and was not hungry. She was following her hunting instinct, which she later learned to control. She never killed another animal after that, even though I didn't punish her for killing the kitten. 

My husky and her sister were turned into the SPCA for chasing and presumably killing chickens. Huskies were bred to hunt small prey for themselves, as well as to pull sleds, so they do have a strong instinctual prey drive. As such, they don't make good farm dogs, but are not generally aggressive and can get along fine with children and even cats when they're taught to treat them with respect.

• Like 1

Pet Peeve: Saw a duck nesting at eye-level in a tree while walking Cinnamon (girl Husky) this morning. Cinnamon couldn't reach the duck, but could see it if she put her paws up. She was only a little peeved, and later got in the pool twice.

IMG_3028.jpeg

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pet Peeve: Saw a duck nesting at eye-level in a tree while walking Cinnamon (girl Husky) this morning. Cinnamon couldn't reach the duck, but could see it if she put her paws up. She was only a little peeved, and later got in the pool twice.

IMG_3028.jpeg

That's a sweet looking nesting spot.. That duck is living large.

Although, I can't say the ducklings are gonna be too happy when it comes time to leave the nest.. What the hell mom, we haven't even got those feathers yet!! \o/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

That's a sweet looking nesting spot.. That duck is living large.

Although, I can't say the ducklings are gonna be too happy when it comes time to leave the nest.. What the hell mom, we haven't even got those feathers yet!! \o/

Luckily, it's a short distance to ground and the pond is across the residential street.

Peeve: Not sure if she's smart for making a "safe" nest, or dumb for not nesting on ground like I assume most ducks do. Her reward is, harder for dogs and critters to chase her off.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Luckily, it's a short distance to ground and the pond is across the residential street.

Peeve: Not sure if she's smart for making a "safe" nest, or dumb for not nesting on ground like I assume most ducks do. Her reward is, harder for dogs and critters to chase her off.

Ya, they'll be fine getting out of it.. It's a good nesting spot from dogs..

Cats might be another story, but really.. It's all  six of one half a dozen of the other when it comes down to it.. Ducks can be pretty bad ass when they have to be and run off dogs and cats if they have to..

• Like 2

Peeve: Rolling 5 times when you think you've only rolled 4 times on a beli home and abandoning the land.. lol

I forget how long I have to wait to be able to roll again.. Is it 24 hours or a week?  I forget when the time limit runs out to be able to roll again.. hehehe

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Peeve: Rolling 5 times when you think you've only rolled 4 times on a beli home and abandoning the land.. lol

I forget how long I have to wait to be able to roll again.. Is it 24 hours or a week?  I forget when the time limit runs out to be able to roll again.. hehehe

A day.

• Thanks 2