Social Medial is a Playground for Clinical Narcissists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ā  Ā It's not really for 'the general us' to declare anything 'clinical' as that would entailĀ an actual narcissistic personality disorder, which would require a licensed psychiatrist to judge on a case-by-case basis. But sure, social media absolutely can and quite certainly is used by narcissists to scratch their proverbial itches.

Ā  Ā A more interesting question, in my opinion, is whether the desire for peer acceptance via social media breeds narcissistic personality traits, which I'm going to guess they may well do in people who lack sufficient self-confidence and self-insight (which is very common in younger people, who of course do use social medias to a very large extent) - but is it so common that social media should be branded a threat to the mental health of its users? That I'm less convinced of. It has been pretty well studied how 'likes' in social media can give us dopamine kicks and how posting something which does not receive the expected attention can have similar effects to drug abusers suffering abstinence, which in the long term may well contribute to the development of mental health issues, but forĀ mostĀ people I don't think that's anything one ought to worry about.Ā 

Ā  Ā There are of course extreme examples and, due to the nature of social media, such tend to spread quite far and wide in a very short time, but I wouldn't agree that being 'a playground for narcissists' is the core function of social medias in general. For most people, social media remains a means of communication with family, friends, and former class mates and colleagues,Ā and to occasionally perhaps partake in more public discussions.

Ā  Ā Either way, I don't expect our opinions on the matter will have any impact whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. Even if every forum-user would go on a social media strike hardly anyone outside of our close/regular contacts would notice - heck even the general SL public probably wouldn't notice if the forum-goers all took a communal break from SL.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Undoubtedly, but so are old-fashioned internet fora and chat rooms.

Also, social media areĀ so much more.

They'reĀ a tool for political & societal emancipation (Arab spring), demagoguery (Cambridge Analytica) and very effective ad boards for businesses large and small (including SL businesses).

[Update]

I'd like to add that social media are excellent toolsĀ through which one nation can socially destabilize another, adversary nation by sowing division and wielding other KGB tactics.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's been a long week.Ā  I think we're already disgusted enough.

Here in the UK, Matt Hancock decided we needed more.

I say social media is worth it if only for the memes and responses we get when stuff like this happens. Without Twitter, I wouldn't have seen this. Have you seen it, @Rat Luv??

Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Here in the UK, Matt Hancock decided we needed more.

I say social media is worth it if only for the memes and responses we get when stuff like this happens. Without Twitter, I wouldn't have seen this. Have you seen it, @Rat Luv??

Ā 

I hadn't! ThanksĀ šŸ™‚

I agree - I'm always seeing memes and links to interesting articles and picturesĀ through social media. Just depends how people use it!

• Like 3

YouTube is the playground for clinical narcissists. Talking head videos by some neckbeard who starts "Hey guys", talks with no editing, and finishes with demands that you follow their channel - now that's narcissism.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.