You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Thats not how that works.. Thats not how ANY of that works! There is no virus in the vaccine. Good grief.. Get the shot, please. 

No virus in the vaccine but it does cause the body to make the spike protein. A recent study shows that the spike protein itself causes some of the problems that are being seen by a coronavirus infection.

"While the findings themselves aren’t entirely a surprise, the paper provides clear confirmation and a detailed explanation of the mechanism through which the protein damages vascular cells for the first time. There’s been a growing consensus that SARS-CoV-2 affects the vascular system, but exactly how it did so was not understood. Similarly, scientists studying other coronaviruses have long suspected that the spike protein contributed to damaging vascular endothelial cells, but this is the first time the process has been documented.

In the new study, the researchers created a “pseudovirus” that was surrounded by SARS-CoV-2 classic crown of spike proteins, but did not contain any actual virus. Exposure to this pseudovirus resulted in damage to the lungs and arteries of an animal model—proving that the spike protein alone was enough to cause disease. Tissue samples showed inflammation in endothelial cells lining the pulmonary artery walls." https://www.salk.edu/news-release/the-novel-coronavirus-spike-protein-plays-additional-key-role-in-illness/

So in essence, the RNA coding that causes the body to create the spike proteins are in effect a sort of trojan horse for enough of the virus to create problems even if it is just a snippet of the entire coronavirus. That's how i see it anyway.

Thats treatment, not a protection.. also, inhalers dont protect against viruses, vaccines do though. 

Well it does seem to be acting like a prophylactic judging by the results of the study. Since the vaccines themselves are prophylactic in nature and are to protect against the virus, then is there really any difference other than in this case the inhaler also treats those who already have the virus which the vaccine doesn't?

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:
5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If you are using an inhaler for your chronic respiratory disease, then there is a good possibility that the protective effect is coming from that rather than just luck or natural immunity.

Thats treatment, not a protection.. also, inhalers dont protect against viruses, vaccines do though. 

Oh, jeez, a while back, I blocked Arielle Popstar for trolling, so I could not read this misguided, suggestive and potentially dangerous statement from her herself.

In most cases, inhalers contain bronchodilator substances to increase airflow, as the name suggests, by dilating the bronchi. This also increases the accessibility for viruses into the lungs. So, no, inhalers with bronchodilators like beta-2-adrenergic (ant)agonists, for chronic respiratory disease typically decrease the protective effect.

Steroids may have a protective effect, as Rowan suggested. Dexamethazone is one of the most important lifesavers for hospitalized COVID-19 patients. But again: bronchodilators!

Also, keep in mind that people with respiratory diseases, who typically use inhalers, are simply many many times more at risk than healthy people. So, in effect, they are simply less protected.

The most effective thing that works, other than complete and permanent social isolation or permanently wearing PPE, is that you and the people around you get vaccinated and get along with your lives. Your choice.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Beta-2-adrenergic (receptor) agonists, not beta-2-adrenalin agonists - my bad
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well it does seem to be acting like a prophylactic judging by the results of the study. Since the vaccines themselves are prophylactic in nature and are to protect against the virus, then is there really any difference other than in this case the inhaler also treats those who already have the virus which the vaccine doesn't?

That's also not how this works.

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No virus in the vaccine but it does cause the body to make the spike protein. A recent study shows that the spike protein itself causes some of the problems that are being seen by a coronavirus infection.

"While the findings themselves aren’t entirely a surprise, the paper provides clear confirmation and a detailed explanation of the mechanism through which the protein damages vascular cells for the first time. There’s been a growing consensus that SARS-CoV-2 affects the vascular system, but exactly how it did so was not understood. Similarly, scientists studying other coronaviruses have long suspected that the spike protein contributed to damaging vascular endothelial cells, but this is the first time the process has been documented.

In the new study, the researchers created a “pseudovirus” that was surrounded by SARS-CoV-2 classic crown of spike proteins, but did not contain any actual virus. Exposure to this pseudovirus resulted in damage to the lungs and arteries of an animal model—proving that the spike protein alone was enough to cause disease. Tissue samples showed inflammation in endothelial cells lining the pulmonary artery walls." https://www.salk.edu/news-release/the-novel-coronavirus-spike-protein-plays-additional-key-role-in-illness/

So in essence, the RNA coding that causes the body to create the spike proteins are in effect a sort of trojan horse for enough of the virus to create problems even if it is just a snippet of the entire coronavirus. That's how i see it anyway.

Here's the opening paragraph of the report you cited:
LA JOLLA—Scientists have known for a while that SARS-CoV-2’s distinctive “spike” proteins help the virus infect its host by latching on to healthy cells. Now, a major new study shows that the virus spike proteins (which behave very differently than those safely encoded by vaccines) also play a key role in the disease itself.

Here's the closing paragraph from the actual study:
Although the use of a noninfectious pseudovirus is a limitation to this study, our data reveals that S protein alone can damage endothelium, manifested by impaired mitochondrial function and eNOS activity but increased glycolysis. It appears that S protein in ECs increases redox stress which may lead to AMPK deactivation, MDM2 upregulation, and ultimately ACE2 destabilization.4 Although these findings need to be confirmed with the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the future study, it seems paradoxical that ACE2 reduction by S protein would decrease the virus infectivity, thereby protecting endothelium. However, a dysregulated renin-angiotensin system due to ACE2 reduction may exacerbate endothelial dysfunction, leading to endotheliitis. Collectively, our results suggest that the S protein-exerted EC damage overrides the decreased virus infectivity. This conclusion suggests that vaccination-generated antibody and/or exogenous antibody against S protein not only protects the host from SARS-CoV-2 infectivity but also inhibits S protein-imposed endothelial injury.

Once again, you have cited a report that contradicts the claim you're making.

For those who are interested, here's a more complete explanation of the issue...
https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/byram-bridles-claim-that-covid-19-vaccines-are-toxic-fails-to-account-for-key-differences-between-the-spike-protein-produced-during-infection-and-vaccination-misrepresents-studies/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

21 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In the interest of transparency, I have reported Arielle's two posts regarding the protection offered by inhalers and spike protein risks from vaccines. I did this because I think the risk of someone acting on her misinformation is now significant.

I think the lot of you should have read the attendant article and studies referenced therein. Besides which, my post to @examining was not a recommendation but an explanation of why perhaps she had so far escaped being infected with the virus and not necessarily because of luck or natural immunity.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:
5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Since many treatments for respiratory disease include steroids, wouldn't that make one MORE susceptible to infection of any kind and not less?

Since steroids are a form of immune suppressant it would absolutely make anyone taking them more susceptible. 

Steroids suppress both immune response and inflammation, creating a double edged sword that requires careful attention to wield properly. For respiratory illnesses, where lung tissue damage is caused by inflammation, it may better to suppress the symptom than the pathogen causing it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think the lot of you should have read the attendant article and studies referenced therein. Besides which, my post to @examining was not a recommendation but an explanation of why perhaps she had so far escaped being infected with the virus and not necessarily because of luck or natural immunity.

She hasnt left her house since it started!!!!! Thats why she hasnt got it yet! Bloody hells woman. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

She hasnt left her house since it started!!!!! Thats why she hasnt got it yet! Bloody hells woman. 

Oh, I didn't see anywhere that she mentioned that, just that she hadn't socialized which is pretty much the case for most of us. I didn't take that to mean she hadn't been out for groceries, gas, and other sundry affairs.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

she hadn't socialized which is pretty much the case for most of us.

That's also pretty much why more of us didn't get CoVid before we had vaccines available.  Wearing a mask and staying away from people make a big difference when there are deadly viruses in the air. Now that vaccines are available and people are starting to let their guard down, your chances of catching CoVid go way up if you don't bother to be innoculated -- especially if you hang around with other people who also haven't been innoculated.  A little common sense goes a long way.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Which inhalers do you sell?

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's also pretty much why more of us didn't get CoVid before we had vaccines available.  Wearing a mask and staying away from people make a big difference when there are deadly viruses in the air. Now that vaccines are available and people are starting to let their guard down, your chances of catching CoVid go way up if you don't bother to be innoculated -- especially if you hang around with other people who also haven't been innoculated.  A little common sense goes a long way.

You can't let your guard down. SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617 is very mean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SARS-CoV-2_Delta_variant

440px-Pangolin_logo.svg.png

Edited by Chroma Starlight

Best not get any more flu shots then. Formaldehyde is used in embalming. 

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde, a chemical typically present in the human body, is a product of healthy digestive function.

In high doses, formaldehyde is toxic and potentially lethal. However, the tiny amounts present in flu vaccines are harmlessTrusted Source.

Formaldehyde’s role in a flu shot is to inactivate toxins from viruses and bacteria that may contaminate the vaccine during production.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Perhaps, but none of the vaccines contain gin, so we know that's still safe.

Any amount of alcohol consumption harmful to the brain, finds study
guardian.co.uk, Natalie Grover, May 18 2021

“There’s no threshold drinking for harm – any alcohol is worse. Pretty much the whole brain seems to be affected – not just specific areas, as previously thought,” said the lead author, Anya Topiwala, a senior clinical lecturer at the University of Oxford.

Using the UK Biobank, a substantial database designed to help researchers decode the genetic and environmental factors that lead some people to develop diseases while others do not, researchers in this study analysed data from 25,378 participants such as age, sex, education, self-reported alcohol consumption, brain size and health from MRI scans, information about hospital and outpatient visits, and memory tests.

Higher volume of alcohol consumption per week was associated with lower grey matter density – the researchers found, with alcohol explaining up to a 0.8% change in grey matter volume, even after accounting for individual biological and behavioural characteristics.

This might seem like a small figure, but it is a larger contribution than any other modifiable risk factors.

(from https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/18/any-amount-of-alcohol-consumption-harmful-to-the-brain-finds-study)

image.jpg

21 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Arielle, I thought that post about the spike proteins was way out of line here.  As far as @examining you should ask your doctor not a message board, not any message board period as a doctor may need to know the status of a person's condition before recommending a vaccine.  I know one person who has had medication increases vastly over the last eight months.  Her doctor has her on a do not vaccinate at this time due to the vastly increasing medication she is taking right now.  The women uses PPE throughout her entire day.  However, even this one person I am speaking about should not determine whether you should be vaccinated or not, your doctor and you should decide that if you are leery because you have COPD and why should a doctor determine that, because people on a message board do not know your exact condition.  If you are fearful, ask your doctor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In the interest of transparency, I have reported Arielle's two posts regarding the protection offered by inhalers and spike protein risks from vaccines. I did this because I think the risk of someone acting on her misinformation is now significant.

I think if you are getting your COVID information off a Second Life forum you need to re-evaluate your news sources. Personally I don't think a thread like this should even exist on the SL forums. Do tell me how a forum moderator will even know that this information is wrong. Are they to do research and vet every post for accuracy? Threads that have nothing to do with SL?  SMH

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Personally I don't think a thread like this should even exist on the SL forums.

Well personally I received some support from others who had the vaccine before I was able to, and I hope I gave reassurance to others as well...

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.