You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

47 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

This article answered a question that I'd been wondering about:  Why most people who now die with Covid in England have been vaccinated

Compare to:

On 6/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine

.Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated (msn.com)

image.png.1a6acba402add994787a5e84669a20ff.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

This article answered a question that I'd been wondering about:  Why most people who now die with Covid in England have been vaccinated

(Briefly, double vaccination reduces the risk of catching the virus to about 5% of what it otherwise would be.   It also seems to mitigate the effects of the virus, should you be one of the unlucky 5%, but that risk is still there and depends on age.  So if you're one of the 5% and in your 80s and double-vaccinated you're maybe at the same risk as would be a 50-year-old who was unvaccinated).

Yep, the strength of the immune system declines with age. In a fully vaccinated population, you might expect the age/mortality rate curve to be similar in shape (not amplitude) to that of a fully unvaccinated population, all else being equal.

There are, however, quite a few other factors involved. The types and coverage of vaccine administered, distribution timing with respect to age, distribution of Covid variants (this looms large, Delta is dominant in the UK and just starting in the US), prevalence of and adherence to masking and isolation guidelines, all these things (and many more) affect the daily snapshot. We're still in the fog-of-war and the fine detail isn't clear. You could imagine each country's path might look significantly different as we all converge on the same target. Still, the overall trajectory for vaccinated vs unvaccinated populations is impressive.

I think the race is now between vaccination and variation.

Let's revisit the numbers in a month (when Delta potentially becomes dominant in the US) and again in a year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

U.S. life expectancy fell by one year in 2020, CDC data shows
By Manas Mishra, Vishwadha Chander
FEBRUARY 18, 2021

(Reuters) - Life expectancy in the United States fell by a year in the first half of 2020 - the biggest decline since World War 2... according to estimates issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

While the estimates are provisional, and do not reflect the full effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the CDC said it was publishing provisional data for the first time in order to assess the effect of excess deaths in 2020.

It was the biggest drop since World War Two, she said, when life expectancy fell 2.9 years between 1942 and 1943.

(from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-health-mortality-idUSKBN2AI2AP )

Covid: Quarantine for Covid contacts could be scrapped
BBC, May 2nd

The government-backed research will trial giving people daily lateral flow tests for seven days - instead of quarantining for 10 days... It comes as the foreign secretary said the country was "in a good position" to end almost all restrictions on 21 June.

But Dominic Raab told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show "we need to keep tracking the variants and tracking the evidence" as the UK gradually reopens.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "This new pilot could help shift the dial in our favour...he said "it is too early to declare victory..."  (Lateral) flow tests are not as accurate as the PCR swabs used at testing centres... 

(from https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56958885 )

captura_de_pantalla_2017-02-28_a_las_11.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

7 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

captura_de_pantalla_2017-02-28_a_las_11.

And later in that article.

So while they were given the green light for mass testing, which they are currently being used for on the basis they would pick up some cases that would not have been identified previously, deploying them to allow close contacts to avoid isolation was deemed a step too far.

But the vaccination programme has changed the equation by reducing the risk from Covid.

It means what is proportionate needs to be reassessed.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And later in that article.

So while they were given the green light for mass testing, which they are currently being used for on the basis they would pick up some cases that would not have been identified previously, deploying them to allow close contacts to avoid isolation was deemed a step too far.

But the vaccination programme has changed the equation by reducing the risk from Covid.

It means what is proportionate needs to be reassessed.

I'm fully vaccinated and will.continue to wear my mask when I'm out like most people I know.  It's the sane thing to do.  Vaccinate and mask.  I also still keep my distance from people.  I'm really not sure what your point is of posting all these videos.  It's entering spam territory.  Those who won't vaccinate, won't.  Those who will, will.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm really not sure what your point is of posting all these videos.  It's entering spam territory. 

Thank you. I've been trying to figure it out too (although I'd need a damned good reason to sit through a video on any subject, ever, so these may be profound AF and I'll never know).

Thing is, Test/Quarantine/Contain is all they've got in parts of the world failed by COVAX (which, we must admit, is a shameful part of pandemic history, exacerbated by the Orange Clown's lies about WHO). And, come some variant apocalypse, it may be all any of us have left. But meanwhile it's crucial to use every dose of vaccine that can be produced as fast as possible to reduce the rate at which new, resistant variants emerge. Literally billions of lives are at stake.

And meanwhile, wherever these vaccines stay ahead of the variants, vaccination has huge economic advantages over more restrictive measures to which we may yet need to resort.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

And meanwhile, wherever these vaccines stay ahead of the variants, vaccination has huge economic advantages over more restrictive measures to which we may yet need to resort.

It's hubris to depend upon the hope that mankind can bioengineer, generate, test, and distribute safely and effectively for each new variant strain of need, or that any of this could be done in a universal manner. Therefore, it's not credible to place your hope in this brave new arms race they want to 'fight' inside your body and your society and your life into perpetuity. 

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

It's hubris to depend upon the hope that mankind can bioengineer, generate, test, and distribute safely and effectively for each new variant strain of need, or that any of this could be done in a universal manner. Therefore, it's not credible to place your hope in this brave new arms race they want to 'fight' inside your body and your society and your life into perpetuity. 

Somehow they manage to do something very similar with the flu vaccines.

https://www.eastmeadowmedical.com/blog/why-the-flu-vaccine-is-reformulated-every-year

Why do I need to get vaccinated every year?

You’ve probably noticed by now that we encourage our patients to get vaccinated each year. Why does this particular vaccine need to be administered again, even if you got a flu shot last year? It’s because new strains of the virus are constantly appearing and evolving, so the vaccine must change along with them.

Located around the world are influenza surveillance centers that annually monitor the most common strains, collecting data and identifying new and evolving strains. Once the information has been collected, the World Health Organization selects the three strains most likely to circulate during the following flu season. This decision is typically made in February, allowing the development of a new vaccine to begin around midsummer.

Because the three strains change each year, the vaccines are formulated separately before they’re combined into the final product, the trivalent vaccine. While it’s usually fairly accurate, there have been instances, such as the infamous H1N1 outbreak in 2009, that required the addition of a second, separate vaccination.

In addition to the constantly evolving strains of the flu virus, your body’s immune response changes over time. Taken together, those two factors essentially render the previous years’ vaccinations useless against new strains. This is why it’s so important to get yourself vaccinated each and every year, even if you got the vaccine last year!

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Somehow they manage to do something very similar with the flu vaccines.

https://www.eastmeadowmedical.com/blog/why-the-flu-vaccine-is-reformulated-every-year

Yeah, about that...

Infographic: The Flu Is Ravaging The U.S. This Year  | Statista

It's like a ritual, but look, they still have not eradicated it in all those years of trying with vaccination because it mutates far too quickly, or something like this.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

It's also hubris to hope people will mask and isolate and quarantine and contact trace when we've already seen that they don't.  Its not credible to place your hope in mankind doing the right thing.  None of what you propose would bring us into a herd immunity without the loss of millions more lives.  Or would you have us in lockdown in perpetuity?

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

It's also hubris hope people will mask and isolate and quarantine and contact trace when we've already seen that they don't.  Its not credible to place your hope in mankind doing the right thing.  None of what you propose would bring us into a herd immunity without the loss of millions more lives.  Or would you have us in lockdown in perpetuity?

Throw them in jail with COVID-infected people until they learn the value of resisting sociopathy and being the fifth column of a vast external enemy.

• Haha 2

Just now, Chroma Starlight said:

Yeah, about that...

Infographic: The Flu Is Ravaging The U.S. This Year  | Statista

It's like a ritual, but look, they still have not eradicated it in all those years of trying with vaccination because it mutates far too quickly, or something like this.

I see my point went completely over  your head.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

It's hubris to depend upon the hope that mankind can bioengineer, generate, test, and distribute safely and effectively ........

No, it's science.

Vaccines are not new.

Making proteins from DNA/RNA is not new. (You can learn how to write genetic code to make whatever proteins you like! - You can even do this at home with CRISPR).

mRNA is not new. (It's a core part of what cells in your body do, all day and how it works has been all scienced out).

The only new part is rather than reengineer some other lifeform to make the required proteins and inject you with those (which is messy), we now have fancy new science ways of wrapping the protein instructions up so your own cells will make them.

Huzzah! Now you only end up with the exact protein that's needed, and no left over junk from making and extracting them from some other critter. No virial DNA, no left over chicken bits, no random chemicals.

Just now, Chroma Starlight said:

Yeah, about that...

Because there are many flu variants and they have to pick what they think are the most likely to spread, and not everyone bothers to get a vaccine.

Coming soon! mRNA based flu vaccines! Should be way better than existing methods!

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/sanofi-translate-bio-start-seasonal-mrna-flu-vaccine-trial-gaining-early-lead-over-moderna

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Throw them in jail with COVID-infected people until they learn the value of resisting sociopathy and being the fifth column of a vast external enemy.

Stop trying to send sick people away to die.

NIMBY is unethical.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Now you're just being silly because you have no defense.  Stop that.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Oh now we're supposed to become murderers ourselves? You're sending very, very strong vibes of 1984, Lord of the Flies, and a few others I could name.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Oh now we're supposed to become murderers ourselves? You're sending very, very strong vibes of 1984, Lord of the Flies, and a few others I could name.

No, let them live and die as they please, but contain their damage to their own chamber. More power to them, let them eat freedom fries and bask in kryptonite glow of their ideology.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.