What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Amazing how I got my entire avatar in a picture even if I did turn it sideways.Ā  So the whole excuse about doing it so people can see the whole avatar for blogging is BS

Ā  Ā I mean ...

Snapshot_063.thumb.png.13de328b1ba06fcf9afc3a7765cb97b2.png

Ā  Ā ... We can use whichever aspect ratio we want when we shoot. Well, up to 1:6144, anyway. Here's 1:4. If one doesn't know how to operate the snapshot tool, or how to use poses and zooming, perhaps one should considerĀ not being a blogger.Ā 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

They're on mine too.Ā  If it's the same person, the pics are mostly the same same same everyday anyway.Ā  Is there another color besides white?

Africa_002.jpg

OMG

I just happened to open this thread to see what it was about and right away, I knew exactly who you were talking about!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Ā  Ā Okay folks, we're on page two again. Bad form!

Ā  Ā Today's pet peeve is a photo one. And sure, people can shoot however they like and all, to each their own and such, but for crying out loud, could the fad of people shooting themselves with the camera rolled to the side just drop dead and stay dead, please? It's not artsy, it's just weird.

Meow.

The "Dutch Angle" CAN be used for art shots! But it is far from new and edgy. Well, actually it is used to put a little tension into the image. But um, yeah, each time this comes up as a peeve, I have to scamper in and pee on those that use this every single shot.

In Flickr I won't fave a photo that is a standard canted shot. (I will fave a Dutch Angle shot that is used creatively.) I won't fave a photo with some standard poses with finger gestures and tongues out. Soooo edgy. :::eyeroll:::

As others have said: Routinely relying on tilted images is lazy. Learn to use the damned camera. Or how to crop. Or something. Learn something.

Ā 

gigi at saddles tilt.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

They're on mine too.Ā  If it's the same person, the pics are mostly the same same same everyday anyway.Ā  Is there another color besides white?

Africa_002.jpg

The benefit of this angle ^^^ is that it allows the breasts (can we say boobies?) to point away from the body at 90 degrees, which, as you know in SL is problematic. (sarcasm font)

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:

The benefit of this angle ^^^ is that it allows the breasts (can we say btheyoobies?) to point away from the body at 90 degrees, which, as you know in SL is problematic. (sarcasm font)

If I had tilted the opposite direction, they would have been in my armpits.Ā 

• Haha 3

If the people who tilt every picture read other subforums we'd all get stern finger waggingsĀ for being mean. There would be foot stamping, and citing non-existent thread rules, forĀ talking about photography on a non-photography thread (because talking about photography on a photography thread is verbotin according to the notorious finger waggers and tongue clickers). These comments would so peeve everyone involved, I'll bet there would be a lot of hair tossing.

Ā 

PS. Yes, I tell you, cats are unreliable. You didn't notice this cat giving away stuff, did you? No. You did not.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Now I'm dizzy!

Sorry! šŸ˜¬

12 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Meow.

The "Dutch Angle" CAN be used for art shots! But it is far from new and edgy. Well, actually it is used to put a little tension into the image. But um, yeah, each time this comes up as a peeve, I have to scamper in and pee on those that use this every single shot.

In Flickr I won't fave a photo that is a standard canted shot. (I will fave a Dutch Angle shot that is used creatively.) I won't fave a photo with some standard poses with finger gestures and tongues out. Soooo edgy. :::eyeroll:::

As others have said: Routinely relying on tilted images is lazy. Learn to use the damned camera. Or how to crop. Or something. Learn something.

Ā 

gigi at saddles tilt.jpg

I never knew this kind of photography method has a name.Ā  Cool.Ā  Learn something new everyday. šŸ‘

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

The "Dutch Angle" CAN be used for art shots!

Ā  Ā Everyone can-can dance the Cancan, sure they can-can.Ā 

Ā  Ā The Dutch angle is rarely so extreme, though, it's usually a few degrees, not flipping an image 90 degrees to fill up the camera. It's also 'usually' used to distress the viewer and represent psychological stress or traumaĀ - and sure, if that's the intention of these people, they do succeed!Ā 

12-monkeys-dutch-tilt.jpg?w=840&h=460

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Precisely @Orwar!

I do it sooooo rarely, but for example I chose to on this shot because it was about being stressed, and a bit of stress eating (fruit? that IS fantasy!) and drinking (champagne? I wish!). So I canted the shot to make it less peaceful. Whether it worked or not... :::shrug:::

Ā 

The Finder 070620 signed no nip.jpg

PS. And it was the inability to peacefully have this kind of discussion in a frikkin photography thread ffs, that had me flouncing out of THAT place for good. Well, that and being attacked by an asshat for I forget what. It is so weird we can type asshat.

Edited by Gatogateau

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Whether it worked or not...

Ā  Ā It has a sense of 'when she bites the fruit, reality is going to be ripped away from beneath her and she'll fall into darkness' to it. Or maybe I just watch too much horror.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Ā  Ā It has a sense of 'when she bites the fruit, reality is going to be ripped away from beneath her and she'll fall into darkness' to it. Or maybe I just watch too much horror.

Considering the "month" I've had (about 35 days), I'd say your take is about spot on.

:/

Since 10/5 I've had: An emergency surgery for an umbilical hernia (that has been around and boring for 10+ years) which killed a few inches of small intestines. Many days in the hospital. Complications when the stitches came out, more time in the ER. My apartment flooded from the upstairs neighbor's over-flowing toilet. Getting an upper respiratory, going to the ER to get a COVID test and instead get hospitalized for 5+ days with "you had a heart attack!" (Spoiler alert: Nope. No heart attack. My heart is stupidly healthy.)

ZOMG! This is all happening because the Universal Photographer is filming me using the Dutch Angle!

:::shakes fist at sky and unfollows that photographer:::

• Haha 1
  • Sad 6

Ok, I don't know how the platform itself pronounces its name, but the newish alt-right / Conspiracy Theories R Us social media platform? The name is "Parler," which is from the French verb "to talk." It's pronounced "parl-ay,," NOT (emphatically not) "parl-er."

Similarly, if you pronounce "foyer" as "foy-er" rather than "foy-ay," I'm afraid that we can't be friends.

Ā 

Ā 

(And don't even get me started on "clique" pronounced "click" - UGH!)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, I don't know how the platform itself pronounces its name, but the newish alt-right / Conspiracy Theories R Us social media platform? The name is "Parler," which is from the French verb "to talk." It's pronounced "parl-ay,," NOT (emphatically not) "parl-er."

Similarly, if you pronounce "foyer" as "foy-er" rather than "foy-ay," I'm afraid that we can't be friends.

Ā 

Ā 

(And don't even get me started on "clique" pronounced "click" - UGH!)

Are you sure they aren't saying "parlor"Ā /ĖˆpƤrlər/? I don't think I've ever heard an English speaker use the wordĀ "parler" in reference to talking. It's likely they are just misspellingĀ the word "parlor". Which has no relation to the French word "parler". And we already have the word "parlay" which also has no relation to "parler".

Also "foyer" is properly pronouncedĀ foiər in English. It's in the Oxford dictionary and everything. Ya it derives from the French word foyer. But the French "foyer"Ā derivesĀ from the latin word "focus". Using your logic you yourself aren't even saying it correctly.

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Don't go visiting Maddy, then.Ā  People in her end of the world pronounce the town of Prairie de Chien: "Prary duh Sheen".Ā  And then there's the mighty Saint Croix River, pronounced "Saint Croy".Ā  Don't get me started on Des Moines, which is not Maddy's problem but is still close enough to shoulder the same albatross.Ā Ā  As a midwesterner myself, I suffer in silence.

• Like 2

Ā  Ā Pet peeve: people whose proportions make me think of this guy.

7dc1dfe397f1ff0bff74d3d7cb6db68f.jpg

Ā  Ā If you're 230 cm tall, maybe don't have a head the size of a satsumas.Ā 

• Haha 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.