Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:24 AM, Chic Aeon said:

I was wondering how long it had been since last names were announced as returning. This may have not been the first post on the subject but it is certainly the one most people remember. Fifteen for Fifteen :D.    Hopefully name change options will appear by the second anniversary  of this announcement.  BOM did finally make it!

I remember!

15-5.gif

15 exciting improvements and features that make Second Life better than ever in  ̶2̶0̶1̶8̶ ,  ̶2̶0̶1̶9̶  , 2020 or beyond!

Edited by MichaMoz
felt like it
  • Haha 1

• Lindens

Hi folks!  

Just a quick update to let you know we have not yet selected the winning names.  At the end of the contest we had over 2500 submissions, most with 3 name suggestions.  Our eyes are crossing going through those names, but going through it we are and there are some great name submissions!  Very soon, I'll be able to contact the winners and then share with you all the first 5 new last names.  As far as the name changing process goes, we are frantically (but carefully!) working through the process.  I appreciate everyone's patience as we work hard to get this feature rolled out.   😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Keira Linden said:

As far as the name changing process goes, we are frantically (but carefully!) working through the process.  I appreciate everyone's patience as we work hard to get this feature rolled out.   😊

Based on some RC release notes for tomorrow, it appears there's been much recent progress on parts of this feature affecting sims and scripts. (Hat tip to @LoganPryor who posted about it in the weekly Deployment Plan thread.)

13 hours ago, Keira Linden said:

Very soon, I'll be able to contact the winners and then share with you all the first 5 new last names.  

Wait... will there be only 5 to choose from at any one time? Or will the list be bigger in the future?

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

where you read that? ... For me it only says they will show the first 5 new names

We don't know if Kiera meant "the first 5 names out of the first batch" or "the first batch of 5 names".  Unless you know of a quote from a Linden elsewhere that specifies how many names there will be per batch (and if so could you please provide a link).

I'm fairly certain that by 'the first five' she just means that the 5 winning names will be announced. I read somewhere that there would be 30 surnames to choose from at any one time, but that they would keep changing. Sorry but I can't remember where I read that. And though I think it was at least semi-official, it could change because they are still in the process of putting all this together.

• Lindens
2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Based on some RC release notes for tomorrow, it appears there's been much recent progress on parts of this feature affecting sims and scripts. (Hat tip to @LoganPryor who posted about it in the weekly Deployment Plan thread.)

Indeed there has been!  There has been quite a lot of backend work needed before we can roll this out.  

• Like 4

• Lindens
2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Wait... will there be only 5 to choose from at any one time? Or will the list be bigger in the future?

There will definitely be more to choose from.  The first 5 will be the ones chosen from the contest submissions.  😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Keira Linden said:

Hi folks!  

Just a quick update to let you know we have not yet selected the winning names.  At the end of the contest we had over 2500 submissions, most with 3 name suggestions.  Our eyes are crossing going through those names, but going through it we are and there are some great name submissions!  Very soon, I'll be able to contact the winners and then share with you all the first 5 new last names.  As far as the name changing process goes, we are frantically (but carefully!) working through the process.  I appreciate everyone's patience as we work hard to get this feature rolled out.   😊

So excited, thank you for the update! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CassieMorgana said:

I knew I had to be a premium member FIRST...just curious if it's going to be an additional $39.99 to change the name

[Rant on] 😡

Uff... I dislike prices like that $39.99. That kind of price is just a means to try to convince our brain that it is nowhere near $40.00 🤪

When I see something like $1999,99 for example, I go totally mad! ☹️

[Rant off] 😉

• Like 1

I have talked to those who joined back in the days when last names were part of the process of creating an account. I am told that only a very limited number of names were available at any one time, and over time these names were changed. For example, one week may offer only Smith, Doe, Brown, Green, and White. The next week might offer only Purple, Orange, Molasses, Lamp, and Cheese.

Under these circumstances, if you did not want one of these last names, you had to abort the sign-up process and try again another day (week, month, or however the names were changed). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.