Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Uff... I dislike prices like that $39.99. That kind of price is just a means to try to convince our brain that it is nowhere near $40.00 🤪

I think we all have learned that 39.99 actually means closer to $43 after tax

46 minutes ago, Lvddawter said:

I think we all have learned that 39.99 actually means closer to $43 after tax

Hmm.. one other way to misguide consumers.
Luckily where I live, all the prices shown to consumers must have the tax included. Showing prices without tax is not allowed.
So where ever you go shopping here there is no need to think "how much I will actually pay with tax".

But I understand that in USA showing prices without tax is the only "good" way because tax varies from state to state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

Under these circumstances, if you did not want one of these last names, you had to abort the sign-up process and try again another day (week, month, or however the names were changed). 

Those in the know would use SL Namewatch if they wanted a specific last name to find a third party registration portal that would give them the name they wanted. From LL quite a list was available some last names were retired after short time like mine, some were active for years. If you didn't like the list refresh the page and a new list of names would come up

3 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

I have talked to those who joined back in the days when last names were part of the process of creating an account. I am told that only a very limited number of names were available at any one time, and over time these names were changed. For example, one week may offer only Smith, Doe, Brown, Green, and White. The next week might offer only Purple, Orange, Molasses, Lamp, and Cheese.

Under these circumstances, if you did not want one of these last names, you had to abort the sign-up process and try again another day (week, month, or however the names were changed). 

There were a bunch of third party sites with different lists as well.

4 hours ago, Lvddawter said:

I have talked to those who joined back in the days when last names were part of the process of creating an account. I am told that only a very limited number of names were available at any one time, and over time these names were changed. For example, one week may offer only Smith, Doe, Brown, Green, and White. The next week might offer only Purple, Orange, Molasses, Lamp, and Cheese.

Under the new method, you just go ahead and sign up and then when the batch of last names changes, pay your money for a name change at that time.

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Under the new method, you just go ahead and sign up and then when the batch of last names changes, pay your money for a name change at that time.

Sign up and not pay at that time? I may be strange.... but I'd rather pay first, knowing that all I have to do is wait for a last name I like and then pick it.

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, Ehawee2016 said:

How often they will add new names? 

I've not seen anything about how long each name will be made available for but i imagine it might be like the old days where some last names such as mine were only active a short time while some others were active for years

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I've not seen anything about how long each name will be made available for but i imagine it might be like the old days where some last names such as mine were only active a short time while some others were active for years

am not absolutely sure but I think it was some combination of the count of a last name used, and time on list.  When a name filled the count before time it was removed. For less popular names, the name was removed at time

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

am not absolutely sure but I think it was some combination of the count of a last name used, and time on list.  When a name filled the count before time it was removed. For less popular names, the name was removed at time

There were exceptions to this and I think some names used to be kept in longer when they became very popular.  Luminos was one of those; it stayed on the list for about 18 months and was chosen about 12,000 times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, not all worked good. 

Before name change I had set myself on "Always allowed" in my land settings. After name change I wasn't anymore in that list. 

And I did not have admin access to my orbs. I have orbs of 2 several creators on my land.

One accepted me on my land because of group settings, the other did not know me anymore with my new name, kicked me off my land and set me on ban list for 15 minutes as it should do with strangers if the orb is switched on. 

Good that I have an alt with admin rights on the orbs and landowner rights on my group land else I would have a problem.

Good that I learned weeks before from a situation with a broken orb that kicked me for some hours off my land too (put me on ban list too).

• Like 3

Yeah....  Probably a lot of scripts out there use names instead of UUIDs.  I know my door script I wrote years ago does.  It looks in object description and in a notecard for names.  Ugh.

I love how this name change thing is revealing the shoddy lsl coding practices some people use. This is what happens when you have a bunch of cowboy coders and an API that doesn't enforce proper practices.

Every decent programmer has been using UUIDs even before name changes were announced. Because it makes sense. UUIDs are 36 characters, no more, no less, unlike usernames. UUIDs are designed for "identifying" things (it's in the name: Universally Unique Identifier), unlike usernames which were never guaranteed at any point to be static.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, villadelfia said:

unlike usernames which were never guaranteed at any point to be static.

to be fair to resident scripters in previous times, usernames were guaranteed to be static, until now when they aren't

it took Linden at least 2 years to rewrite their codebase to remove static usernames 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

to be fair to resident scripters in previous times, usernames were guaranteed to be static, until now when they aren't

Thank you. I have some ancient stuff (from long before display names or .Resident even) that allowed the user to enter usernames to grant friends access to doors, etc. It was easy for the users, and nobody in their wildest dreams ever imagined that names could change and retain the same account -- that's crazy talk! It was utterly unthinkable.

Had there been even the slightest hint that any such thing could ever occur, the same trivial solution as now would have applied: simply llRequestUserKey the user-supplied names and save their UUIDs to compare instead. It's hardly "shoddy lsl coding practice" to avoid that whole dataserver overhead, though, if there's never a hint that it could mean anything but wasted cycles and server lag.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Had there been even the slightest hint that any such thing could ever occur, the same trivial solution as now would have applied: simply llRequestUserKey the user-supplied names and save their UUIDs to compare instead. It's hardly "shoddy lsl coding practice" to avoid that whole dataserver overhead, though, if there's never a hint that it could mean anything but wasted cycles and server lag.

true

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.