Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

You cannot show the name Resident in the viewer unless it is an unusual function of a third-party viewer; the word Resident is always hidden from name tags.

Firestorm does have this feature - though the preference item is titled "Trim 'Resident' from legacy names".  It is ticked by default and  greyed out if you are set to only show the Display names.

And yeah, other than only showing Display names, there is no way to not see the last names of those that have something besides Resident.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Firestorm does have this feature - though the preference item is titled "Trim 'Resident' from legacy names".  It is ticked by default and  greyed out if you are set to only show the Display names.

Yes, I believe I mentioned that it would be a third-party viewer option and an unusual (a.k.a. radically different from all others) feature and I did say misnomer, which is exactly what the description is. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

quite a few people who had last names changed their display name to just their first name, thereby hiding their preshus, preshus last name

I‘ve thought about it! The only other Fauve that I know of who does stuff is Fauve Beaumont and we are really easy to tell apart. 

14 minutes ago, Y2 Enoch said:

Can anyone confirm if changing your last name will result in a new UUID?

No, it won't.    Should I change my name, the new function http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey  will continue to return the same uuid whether it's given "Innula Zenovka" or my new name as it currently does when given "Innula Zenokva." 

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Ok, I'll take that back. I had based this on my previous years of experiance with countless people coming to the forum wanting lastnames back and the countless questions on how to change names, when people "married" in SL. 

So, considering the resident 'last name' doesn't appear unless you use specific toggles in 3rd party viewers wouldn't it have been far easier for LL to just allow for a space to be used in the (first)name of all those that have resident last names? Would have taken less time as well as probably scripting etc. The difference is that wouldn't have been chargeable.

As to the married comment, believe it or not the display name was one of the fixes for this as even back when last names existed, as you know, most people had to create two new toons if they wanted the same last name. I would highly doubt that people marrying or being partnered in SL are going to pay $50 to change names when display names are the most common form of name now and far cheaper.

10 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

However, not everyone is, even those who have them. Some time ago I was looking at the display names on my friend list and a quite a few people who had last names changed their display name to just their first name, thereby hiding their preshus, preshus last name.  It's also interesting to note that Second Life has now had no last names for new people longer than they had last names.

Agree with this and do the same regularly for myself as do many of my friends with last names. It would be different if you were able to create your own last name, however many people when last names were selectable from a list chose whatever mainly because they didn't like any of the options and were forced to make a choice of something they didn't like (just to play SL) otherwise, would have to wait for a month or so for the new set to come out. It was extremely restrictive then and is probably why they aren't introducing it for new users now.

Edited by Drayke Newall

On 1/5/2020 at 5:36 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Precisely. Who knows what's next? 25L per TP? :D

That's been done already. It's why I didn't stay in SL after the memorial service. Back then they were charging for pretty much everything. You couldn't sneeze without having to pay for the sneeze, the tissue, the air you used to blow your nose, the trash can to dispose of the tissue, the bag in the trash can, and the maintenance-guy-that-empties-the-trash's salary. And now they are well on their way to doing it again. They'll be nickel and diming me right out of SL. Again. Only this time will be the last. Not that they give a tinker's damn whether I stay or go even if their retention rate has been in the toilet for 15 years. They don't care. They got theirs. And there's always another sucker.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Name changes are coming

Update: The new last names submission contest did close already so maybe the actual winner announcement will go out on the 15th? I think my ‘cousin’ (Resident alt) did get quite a few entries in, 3 at a time. Close to her goal of 100. Even though the existing list is huge, it was fun to think of new ones, once on a roll.

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Haha 2

I was under the impression you can submit three names per avatar as your submission? I couldnt find it the rules you cant send more then one.. but doesnt seem right as ones suggestions are one suggestions.  Sending them repeatedly is like keep hitting the doorbell or elevator button over and over 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:28 AM, Fauve Aeon said:

Name changes are coming

Update: The new last names submission contest did close already so maybe the actual winner announcement will go out on the 15th? I think my ‘cousin’ (Resident alt) did get quite a few entries in, 3 at a time. Close to her goal of 100. Even though the existing list is huge, it was fun to think of new ones, once on a roll.

Im sure they heard you the first time.  What your telling us is you can repeatedly submit same names under the same avatar? I think a simple three names per avatar and LL will choose the winner will suffice.. it states the contest ended Jan 6th did they extend it? 

Edited by FredrickF

20 minutes ago, FredrickF said:

. it states the contest ended Jan 6th did they extend it? 

They got two conflicting dates. One in blog is  *The contest will run December 16 through January 15th* and the wiki link with contest's rules is * The Contest begins at 12 noon Pacific Standard Time on December 16, 2019 (the “Start Date”) and ends at 3:00pm Pacific Standard Time on January 6, 2020 (the “Deadline”). *.

I guess it's the former, since it's still active.

3 hours ago, FredrickF said:

I was under the impression you can submit three names per avatar as your submission? I couldnt find it the rules you cant send more then one.. but doesnt seem right as ones suggestions are one suggestions.  Sending them repeatedly is like keep hitting the doorbell or elevator button over and over 

Im sure they heard you the first time.  What your telling us is you can repeatedly submit same names under the same avatar? I think a simple three names per avatar and LL will choose the winner will suffice.. it states the contest ended Jan 6th did they extend it? 

Different names each time, None repeated. 

8 hours ago, FredrickF said:

ok it is interesting though one can keep submitting different names vs only 3 as your one and only submission.. I wouldn't because my three names i suggested are ones id really want.

The rules say "Three submissions per ENTRY" - not per Account / Avatar / etc....

image.png.8d11e3753980270e3830ab2f1b4527fb.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:07 AM, FredrickF said:

ok it is interesting though one can keep submitting different names vs only 3 as your one and only submission.. I wouldn't because my three names i suggested are ones id really want.

And for me, I thought of a lot of names I like a lot better than ‘Resident’ for that account since this is my original and I’m ok with this first and last name...so I also would be happy with any last name I submitted. And happy if I supply a few more that LL might like to use in addition. They wouldn’t have put the link to give additional submissions in the form if they did not want them. It’s something you can leave off in making a google form if you choose to, and for whatever reason, they chose not to. 

I was wondering how long it had been since last names were announced as returning. This may have not been the first post on the subject but it is certainly the one most people remember. Fifteen for Fifteen :D.    Hopefully name change options will appear by the second anniversary  of this announcement.  BOM did finally make it!

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ya gotta stretch that middle part out a bit more, with lots of emphasis on the 'oo' part:  soo-oon

Yeahhh, that's what I meant too. ( jumps on your bandwagon) .. pronounced, here at least, SUE-WON. Thankyou.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.