Would you play SL classic?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What if LL took a page from Blizzard's release of their 2004 version of World of Warcraft (WOW) and released SL Classic, a version of SL from 2006? Would you be willing to play in those nostalgic days of purple shirted girls and white shirted guys? 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

What if LL took a page from Blizzard's release of their 2004 version of World of Warcraft (WOW) and released SL Classic, a version of SL from 2006? Would you be willing to play in those nostalgic days of purple shirted girls and white shirted guys? 

Sure, that's pretty much what InWorldz was when I had an account there. 😛

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Will we have Tringo and Slingo again? If not, don't bother.

:P

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind an SL grid with a fresh start and none of the historical bagage & growing paints that we still have to deal with today.

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Oh you can totally experience SL 2006, just wander the Mainland long enough... 

The mainland still has many little pockets of greatness. I immensely miss being able to just wander around and see what other people have made.

In a way I see the "cloud" of private regions as an experiment that went out of control. And maybe a lack of vision for the platform.

EDIT: Otherwise private islands would have been restricted to things like non profit projects that provide entertainment for residents.

"Hey guys, let's go to gambling island"

"Nah today we are going to the combat continent"

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Oh good grief NO! I can (just about) remeber how awful my avi looked 4 years ago, dread to think how bad it would look on an ancient version

• Like 3

Looking at some folks and some places inworld, I would say that those have already put your idea in action. Well, actually never bothered to change, but let's disregard that little detail.

On a less joking note: it wouldn't need any extra server, platform or xyz tool to revert to such a classic mode. It's all already included.

• Like 2

The more I think about this, the more interesting it becomes.

In order to fully appreciate  the "classic SL" experience of 2006, I suppose I would have to find the operating system(s) and viewers that were current back then. For me that would have been Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" running on an iBook G4/133. I still have the Tiger discs but I no longer have a PowerPC Mac that can boot up that old OS. As for the viewer, that would have to be the SL craptastic 1.12 (I think?) or the much better Rainbow "Cool SL" Edition from Boy Lane. Assuming the region and grid server software from back then was still available and able to run on the hardware of its time, then I might be able to once again relive that experience.

Were all that possible I would then be confronted with alpha textures that remained a solid grey, early sculpts that remained orbs or torii (or whatever other shape some creators used), and assuming I could still manage my way through the builds of those days from memory, I would be doing so at the neck-breaking speed of 3 FPS with graphics settings LOW.

Yeah, that would be worth it.

P.S. And let me not forget to mention that anytime I dropped a no-copy item and picked it back up to put away in inventory, it would appear outside my inventory root, laughing at me maniacally while I tried every way I knew to be able to move it back into its rightful place. Yep... good times.

Edited by DilliDallagio
Added the postscript

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.