Would you play SL classic?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've been in SL since 2004 and there are tons of people I've never met at the clubs I went to. Used to be in CST, been in PST/SLT since October 2006. So you must be across the pond from me which would explain why we never met inworld. *waves* Hi. :D

I am in Eastern Time in the US. I think we may just have different taste in clubs. :)

Hopefully you are still able to find ones you like! :)

But yes, Hi! :) I feel I kind of know you a little from reading your posts in the forum (I read a lot more than I post).

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Quite a few, actually. Some of the first people I met in 2007 remain my closest friends in SL to this day.  Our cadre has changed over the years through newcomers and through normal attrition (and a few untimely deaths, sadly), but we the faithful persevere.  I am presently surprised by the number of "old timers" that I get to know through these forums and in chance encounters in world.  We're not over the hill.  We are the hill.  ⛰️

That is great, I am very happy for you! :) (Really, not sarcasm, have to clarify that online, lol)

Unfortunately, noone I knew in my first two years in SL, which were my happiest times, is in SL anymore, and only two that I met in my third, and last, club 'home,' are still in SL. One of them I still talk to a bit, but the other only rarely. And neither of them has been able to find any clubs that come close to replacing the club where we met, and that we saw as home, either in terms of music or atmosphere. I guess I was just lucky to get in SL when I did, and to have 2-3 wonderful years. But that SL has long been dead and gone, and I guess I am too picky and narrow (and rigid?) to find anything that really engages me anymore. I *have* tried, though, and continue to try, but with no success.

3 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

I am in Eastern Time in the US. I think we may just have different taste in clubs. :)

Hopefully you are still able to find ones you like! :)

But yes, Hi! :) I feel I kind of know you a little from reading your posts in the forum (I read a lot more than I post).

Well I did tend to avoid the biggest, most popular places. Then I got burnt out on clubbing. Got to be where it was like RL with almost nothing but sports bars. And after co-owning/operating a few, I've pretty much gotten over it. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Unfortunately, noone I knew in my first two years in SL, which were my happiest times, is in SL anymore, and only two that I met in my third, and last, club 'home,' are still in SL. One of them I still talk to a bit, but the other only rarely. And neither of them has been able to find any clubs that come close to replacing the club where we met, and that we saw as home, either in terms of music or atmosphere. I guess I was just lucky to get in SL when I did, and to have 2-3 wonderful years. But that SL has long been dead and gone, and I guess I am too picky and narrow (and rigid?) to find anything that really engages me anymore. I *have* tried, though, and continue to try, but with no success.

One major difference may be that I was fortunate to fall in with a group that was not only very active but owned its own region (several, in fact), so we had many years of team-building to cement our friendships and many common interests to keep us engaged in growing with SL. Many of us have moved on to other interests in SL since 2007, but we continue to see each other socially.  It also helps that I have maintained my own region as a gathering spot where we can dance, swim, or just sit and chat, or that we use as a jumping off point for exploring elsewhere, and where some of us live.  I worry every once in a while about what will happen someday if I am unable to keep the region alive, but I don't plan on bailing out of SL myself for a long time.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

Linden Lab are not the ones saying SL is not a game. It just plain isn't one.

YouTube is also used for entertainment. Is it also a game?

Second Life has game environments in it. But it is a virtual world.

It is also being used for way more than entertainment. It is being used as an education tool for students and for some as a source of real-world income.

No, Youtube is a website. Second Life is software that you download, video games are also software. Most video games are focused on some kind of a virtual play, whereas Second Life virtual Play is focused around sex. However, other video games have virtual sex now such as Conan and GTA5. In addition, the gaming software options for PC has tripled since the past decade.

Just my other 2 cents.....Most other PC software does not run at 20 FPS either...

Edited by Haselden
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, LysippeAriti said:

Not really.

I’m nostalgic for the SL CULTURE of 2006 🙂

This is exactly why the majority seem excited for WoW Classic ... and I'm not so sure it's going to pan out that way, or anything even close.

You can roll back the game, the mechanics, and this applies for SL too .. but you can't roll back the people, or expect new people to experience the same journey you and contemporaries did 13 years ago.

Part of the attraction is "community", in that the game had nothing. Players were forced to team up and make friends in world, that wouldn't have happened anything like as much in a world where we have Discord & Twitch. Ironically, those same players often say that adding social tools to WoW is what ruined it (well .. that and the decision to make a game where most players had a chance of seeing most of the content).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Haselden said:

Most video games are focused on some kind of a virtual play, whereas Second Life virtual Play is focused around sex.

With respect, no it is not.

There's not much question that sex is an important part of a great many people's SL experience, but there Is a vast range of other things to do on this platform. Even for many of those who do engage in sex here, it need not be the actual focus of the experience.

One of the things that most frustrates me about discussions of this platform is the reductive tendency for some people to assume that everyone else here is swimming around in whatever particular little bubble THEY think is most important, be it sex, or RP, or gaming, or shopping, or music, or whatever.

All of these things are important, but it is the fact SL offers them all, separately or in complicated combination, that makes the platform special.

Sex would seem to be your thing here. That's great; enjoy. But please don't relegate everyone else's SL to the margins because you happen not to share their interests.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Haselden said:

No, Youtube is a website. Second Life is software that you download, video games are also software. Most video games are focused on some kind of a virtual play, whereas Second Life virtual Play is focused around sex. However, other video games have virtual sex now such as Conan and GTA5. In addition, the gaming software options for PC has tripled since the past decade.

Just my other 2 cents.....Most other PC software does not run at 20 FPS either...

Your web browser is software that you download. Is it too a game?

Second life virtual play is focused around sex? Uh, thats a no. Virtual sex is a small part of Second Life. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise.

Second Life play is not focused around anything. Second Life at any given moment is focused for each individual around what he or she determines it to be focused on. Actually the phrase "Second Life play" doesn't even apply to many users. Its only play if YOU want it to be. For many of us it isn't even play at all. Its a world. Like visiting a country that only exists online.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

Your web browser is software that you download. Is it too a game?

Second life virtual play is focused around sex? Uh, thats a no. Virtual sex is a small part of Second Life. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise.

Second Life play is not focused around anything. Second Life at any given moment is focused for each individual around what he or she determines it to be focused on. Actually the phrase "Second Life play" doesn't even apply to many users. Its only play if YOU want it to be. For many of us it isn't even play at all. Its a world. Like visiting a country that only exists online.

Web browsers are Software yes, but a software applications  take up less resources and not using GPU while running. Whereas Second Life and Video games are Software implemented by hardware. Meaning they're running off some sort of engine to maintain data and transfer it to your PC's CPU and GPU. For example, when firestorm is running it will take up 80%-90% of your computers GPU much like other standard video games.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, Bree Giffen said:

What if LL took a page from Blizzard's release of their 2004 version of World of Warcraft (WOW) and released SL Classic, a version of SL from 2006? Would you be willing to play in those nostalgic days of purple shirted girls and white shirted guys? 

Older second life ran like ass nobody would want to go back to 2008 second life 

Edited by MaxSilverDragon

10 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Web browsers are Software yes, but a software applications  take up less resources and not using GPU while running. Whereas Second Life and Video games are Software implemented by hardware. Meaning they're running off some sort of engine to maintain data and transfer it to your PC's CPU and GPU. For example, when firestorm is running it will take up 80%-90% of your computers GPU much like other standard video games.

your logic is flawed your computer is very old like mine you need an upgrade Firestorm takes 40% of my CPU and low traffic areas  can get up to 80% and high traffic areas

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haselden said:

53% GPU is about the norm when idling in a empty area. However, again Software Applications use 0 GPU unless watching a video.

It' s safe to say I will not rely on your expertise concerning software, hardware or other delusions you might have.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haselden said:

focused around sex

No, just no. I agree with Scylla. That is your focus on SL. Not the focus Second Life has. The 'SLex (digital intercourse)'  is a byproduct of the people using SL.

And that' s certainly not all of them. Count me out at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haselden said:

What...

1. Software is anything that isn't hardware. Windows, Second Life, your web browser, any code that is executed on a computer is software. "Software application" is the same thing as "software." There is no software that isn't "implemented by hardware" (read: uses hardware), because how else would it do anything? All of the physical things inside of your computer are hardware.
  2. The amount of CPU/GPU any particular piece of software uses on any particular computer doesn't define its "classification." The usage is incredibly variable between systems, even if they're using identical hardware setups.
  3. An "engine" is any kind of code library, framework, or a collection of them. Having an engine doesn't make anything a game. Even web browsers use "engines," look up Chromium for example.
1 hour ago, Haselden said:

53% GPU is about the norm when idling in a empty area. However, again Software Applications use 0 GPU unless watching a video.

This is me in a public sim with multiple avatars in view... Variance of about +10%.
e122052446.png

Edit: Let's add a browser into the mix as well, while not watching video but just opening a new tab:
d850d5e4c0.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.