What would YOU do if you were Linden Lab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's a lot of the building and creation genre in modern gaming. It's not as if the kids are all playing shooting games and have no time to build. I've watched mind numbing hours of kids building in Minecraft creative mode. Roblox is essentially doing SL for kids and I've even seen people just making buildings in Fortnite. The creative fire still burns in younger generations. LL should be improving the basic prim building tools and do something with avatars, clothing and body parts to make it simpler. I guess I'm going back to my old suggestions when I made my 'SL 2 not Sansar' thread. The creative fire still burns! 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

May I just say...

As one of SL's most loyal users...and yet one who has had to weather constant, vicious bullying from the 'forum cartel' (including PMs telling me to drink bleach and kill myself, and abuse so bad I had to log off with a migraine for several days)...9+ years of sandbox griefing (mostly the alts of 'respected' creators and landowners)...total disinterest from LL (it should come as no surprise that they consider basic accounts 'second class': nor should you expect them to clear up the filthy, foul 'CANZ I PLAY AS ANOTHER RACE DUHH LOLOL DROOL" nazi threads that still continue to pollute this forum like the excrement caking the sidewalks in San Francisco...)

I can't deny a sense of schadenfreude at seeing some of my tormentors now crushed by the very juggernaut they stubbornly toiled to create 🤣

As I mentioned before...this is what you wanted instead of fairness. Now live with it.

LOLWUT

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

3. Enables ads and rotating store spaces at newbie landing places. Again, the grotesque fear of commerce is actually harming retention as people can't see where to shop, hang out, etc. and are instead railroaded into learning arcane skills they don't need and left to fend with bots and griefers as no one with a vested interest in SL is within miles.

As nice as that might be for newbies if they wind up at Ahern info hub follow the road/tram rail (never seen used) up through Bay City past Miramare info hub, you end up at a sim called Luna which houses the Linden owned/run Luna Oaks mall, It's an ancient place possibly older than me i don't know what you have or would have had to do to get a place there since it's a closed group but it has a bunch booths and small stores many empty and two large stores and its like going back in a time machine, The units that remain occupied are still peddling system layer apparel prim and other outdated stuff, i don't think it's been updated since opening. I really wouldn't want to see store spaces set out at newbie places if they're just going to become another Luna Oaks

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

As one of SL's most loyal users...and yet one who has had to weather constant, vicious bullying from the 'forum cartel'......

I have no idea who you are, but am now resolved to do my part.

* May all your prims be 0.003 degrees out of alignment, your scripts fail to compile, and your packet loss be high. *

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

I would increase the MP tax on sales from 5% to 10%. This sounds like a bitter pill to swallow in today's structure, but it would prove to be just fine if land was less than $100 a month.

I would increase the upload cost slightly, and maybe increased bulk uploads significantly.

I would make Library items removable. Send me a default avatar if I request it or try to default my avatar for whatever reason.

I would experiment with whether a LL supported mesh creation tool was feasible.

Lastly I would create a premium lite that allowed cashouts, and a free account that did not. No more than $5 a month. I might even think about doing two free account types, one with cashouts and more indentity verification and one without. Major fraud fix.

I would create Linden Dollar gift cards in the same vein as Gift Visas and iTunes cards and experiment with other avenues of buying linden dollars (usage of gift visas as one example).

at 1 ...would only hit the creators that sell on MP
at 2 could be a option
at 3 you cán already hide your library
at 4 .. yep could be really adding something
at 5 ..i'd go for only cash out for premiums, perhaps premium light, but reinstate the groups for basics, but take this ability to the higher level.
at 6 think this will go against several TAX laws, when you can buy/sell L$ anonymous, laundering is around the corner waiting.

19 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I have no idea who you are, but am now resolved to do my part.

* May all your prims be 0.003 degrees out of alignment, your scripts fail to compile, and your packet loss be high. *

Same! How did I miss the group notice about this activity?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

at 1 ...would only hit the creators that sell on MP
at 2 could be a option
at 3 you cán already hide your library
at 4 .. yep could be really adding something
at 5 ..i'd go for only cash out for premiums, perhaps premium light, but reinstate the groups for basics, but take this ability to the higher level.
at 6 think this will go against several TAX laws, when you can buy/sell L$ anonymous, laundering is around the corner waiting.

#1 - Some things will always only hit so many users. It doesn't have to hit everyone to affect everyone. It would be designed to help Linden Lab offset some of the lost revenue of lowering land costs, thus it would affect everyone by allowing them to enjoy cheaper land.

#3 You can hide it from your view but you cannot delete it from your inventory. Minor change but I'd make it.

#6 Hence stricter identity requirements or paid subscriptions to allow for cashouts. Not sure but there has to be a way to do it and still satisfy tax laws.

I think I would have made Premium a "Pay for what you will use" thing.

Make a cheap entry payment just a little better than Basic.

Then start to add from the menu. You hate Mainland and would not be seen dead in a Linden Home? Just skip that, instead choose "Increase caps on IMs". Choose access to events. Add on more groups. There you have your custom Premium.

So here comes Marianne, I happily pick 1024m and put that in my shopping basket, I then select the double prims add-on (My dream, if LL would have that option). I don't need the caps on IM, and I don't need to visit events, so I skip that. I add access to premium sandbox instead, and click to pay.

Something like that, plus "Give me the whole pack" option with a bonus Linden in a wet t-shirt?

Would that be terribly hard to have, it is only select and pay?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

#3 You can hide it from your view but you cannot delete it from your inventory. Minor change but I'd make it.

Unless LL can completely cure avatar bake fails the Library is necessary in order to be able to fix your avatar because you may need to use one of the starters to fix the issue.

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Unless LL can completely cure avatar bake fails the Library is necessary in order to be able to fix your avatar because you may need to use one of the starters to fix the issue.

Valid point and I probably don't really think of this because of a decade of not many problems with bake fails. However, a system of requesting or sending a default avatar when this happens (or merely defaulting to one that can be removed after the fact ) has to be feasible.

Edited by Adam Spark
  • Thanks 1

If i was LL, i would start clearing out all those inactive accounts who haven't logged in for, let's say 5 years or longer. I am actually here since 2007, and i remember many "zombie accounts" were only being used as traffic bots. They are still members of several groups, and taking up resources that could be used otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

Valid point and I probably don't really think of this because of a decade of not many problems with bake fails. However, a system of requesting or sending a default avatar when this happens (or merely defaulting to one that can be removed after the fact ) has to be feasible.

Only reason I thought of it was because I used  to help people with it all the time when I was on the FS support team. I am reasonably certain that an avatar request feature isn't feasible when you take into consideration things like group backend issues and all the Jiras that have been waiting months and even years to be solved. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
removed the words "have to" because.. well... I didn't have to

The two things I've seen mentioned here and other threads that seem to be the simplest answer, is 1) let sansar go, and 2) move the base to somewhere that isn't in the top tier of the country for overhead costs. Unless they are getting some fantastic deal through someone's Dad...

I haven't gone into the sansar world since the early days of it, and don't plan to ever again, because it felt like some pipe dream of making a better platform than SL. It seemed like a creator's studio and nothing more to me. I can't fathom it ever becoming popular making LL any money. It's like when someone opens up a great new sim, that raises the bar, but people don't stay because nobody else is there, going back to the old outdated, crowded sim, because they don't want to be alone. By all reports, sansar is that beautiful, but empty, sim. People are social beings.

SL still has much more potential. Finding ways to advertise SL to get more people to try it out, who aren't even aware it still exists, and making a new user-friendly guide to functions for people coming in the first time. (the tech side of SL is a major hurdle that pushes people away far more often than should happen)

That's what I'd do.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, clivesteel said:

I can't deny a sense of schadenfreude at seeing some of my tormentors now crushed by the very juggernaut they stubbornly toiled to create 🤣

It's a modest fees increase and some changes to a membership subscription. 

Abuse in PMs is unacceptable, though. You should always AR that.

3 hours ago, clivesteel said:

May I just say...

As one of SL's most loyal users...and yet one who has had to weather constant, vicious bullying from the 'forum cartel' (including PMs telling me to drink bleach and kill myself, and abuse so bad I had to log off with a migraine for several days)...9+ years of sandbox griefing (mostly the alts of 'respected' creators and landowners)...total disinterest from LL (it should come as no surprise that they consider basic accounts 'second class': nor should you expect them to clear up the filthy, foul 'CANZ I PLAY AS ANOTHER RACE DUHH LOLOL DROOL" nazi threads that still continue to pollute this forum like the excrement caking the sidewalks in San Francisco...)

As I mentioned before...this is what you wanted instead of fairness. Now live with it.

Thanks, have a nice day!

EE764F71-8B88-43EF-AA66-D1505307B008.jpeg

On 5/30/2019 at 12:22 AM, Desudesudesuka said:

One approach I'd consider to actually make money: I'd hire creators, starting by trying to buy out some of the bigger ones who show consistent work. They make money convincingly for themselves, and LL, why not take them under the wing? I mean literally offering to buy Maitreya, Belleza, etc., as improvements to the default avatars would be a good place to start, and the game appears less janky to newcominers. If they could not be bought external artists would be hired/commissioned as needed. By controlling the actual content less money would slip out of SL as creators cash out, it would just be part of the budget people are paid. Ultimately I would have LL directly selling avatar components for the now stellar looking default avatars, as well as subscription benefits.

Wow, THAT would sure provoke an outcry.  Every creator who DIDN'T get hired/subsidized by LL would be up in arms about favoritism and unfair competition.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the comments. 

It seems by now that most people feel the cut back on groups was the major inappropriate decision in the recently announced restructuring package. There may be good reasons for this tech wise -- a balancing act; but what The Lab continues to forget is how things will LOOK and be RECEIVED by the citizenship.  I will say they are listening now more than in those years when Lindens did not walk upon the earth. That is good.   

As I have been reading ALL these threads, many saying the same things I was reminded that when the new premium levels were first talked about (by Ebbe at a Town Hall) the point that he kept trying to make was that The Lab wanted to make Premium SO WORTHWHILE that everyone would want it. 

I am going to pause for a couple of seconds here for that last line to sink in.

Lots of good things have been happening here lately and some things are going well. I actually had 90fps at my Bellisseria home the other night instead of 15 (and yes it was a painful few months with my framerate in the dumpster and nothing "I" could do to fix). So I am feeling a bit more warm and fuzzy than I might have been a few weeks ago.

The Traditional and Houseboat releases have been a great success  aside from some miscommunication which ended up "looking" like bait and switch to many members that were unable to get a house after clicking on an ad that said they could have one. The new Linden Home continent has been one of the best things IMO that LL has done in a decade.    Hence, those new homes certainly fit into the "make Premium so good" theme.  

I don't particularly have a giant problem with the rate increase. There is nothing at all in the new package that I care about however. Aside from my Bellisseria home I would be perfectly happy back on Basic mode.  So, it seems to me that Ebbe's goal (and assumably the goal of other company VIPs) of "so worthwhile" didn't quite hit the target.   We don't know why. We don't know what's going on in the boardroom. We have a few whispers and a few speculations and some hints --- but we don't know. 

Hopefully that group slot downgrade for basic member will get readjusted since even many Premium members are put out by it.  Hopefully some new perks WILL get added in the future.   Yet more land per account maybe?  There is certainly plenty of it still out there.  Perhaps by the time the new Super Premium (or whatever) level is unveiled the perks WILL be too good to pass up. 

Most all companies make both good and bad decisions. Figuring out just when to cut losses is tricky.  Most of us here want Second Life to succeed and carry on for many years. Hopefully we can muddle through this rough and muddy patch and get to the other side of the canyon.    

• Like 5

In terms of the group limits, I'm just wondering what the reaction would be if the limit was raised for premium accounts and the basic accounts were left at 42, or if that announcement was separate from any mention of a monetary increase. 

It seems to me that having the group limit raised is a request that we have often seen in various forum posts over the last several years.  

19 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

In terms of the group limits, I'm just wondering what the reaction would be if the limit was raised for premium accounts and the basic accounts were left at 42, or if that announcement was separate from any mention of a monetary increase. 

It seems to me that having the group limit raised is a request that we have often seen in various forum posts over the last several years.  

From my POV, while I wouldn't be thrilled with it, it would be disgruntling rather than a bitter horse pill to swallow.  For a very long time now (even after we got the 42) I have been keeping my groups down to about 35 for two reasons. One, so that I would have the room to add more groups as needed and two, so that there is less of a strain on the system, however miniscule that may be. Cutting back to less than 35 would not be a happy making thing for me as I've been struggling to keep it under 42 since we got the 42.

Personally, I really don't want more then the 42 because after a while it just gets to be too much.

12 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

Wow, you really don't know much about SL history do you. There was a fair amount of time when there was a teen grid for those under 18 and the main grid for those who were older than 18. Pretty much what you suggested. It didn't work. The teen grid had nowhere near the content. There was constant piracy of main grid items and, since adults weren't allowed on the teen grid, no real way to check if your items were being stolen. Finally, the age verification company LL was using was so crappy that there were more teens on the main grid than on the teen grid while many actual adults had issues trying to verify. LL finally more or less gave up and consolodated them. That's when they made a cursory effort to move adult stuff to Zindra, but I think that was mostly for press releases. The fact is there is just as much adult activity on the rest of the grid as there ever was. I'm sorry if you've been hiding under a rock and didn't notice that. 

I wasn't hiding under a rock.  I just never heard of SL until i found Opensim around 2013 and then i joined SL shortly after.  Your condescending attitude says more about you living in a virtual world bubble than it does about me "hiding under a rock".

5 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

As nice as that might be for newbies if they wind up at Ahern info hub follow the road/tram rail (never seen used) up through Bay City past Miramare info hub, you end up at a sim called Luna which houses the Linden owned/run Luna Oaks mall, It's an ancient place possibly older than me i don't know what you have or would have had to do to get a place there since it's a closed group but it has a bunch booths and small stores many empty and two large stores and its like going back in a time machine, The units that remain occupied are still peddling system layer apparel prim and other outdated stuff, i don't think it's been updated since opening. I really wouldn't want to see store spaces set out at newbie places if they're just going to become another Luna Oaks

They won't be when you have to pay for them, and when the Lindens send traffic to them. Also, there's a difference between a store at the first Help Island -- which the Lindens used to have with user-created items for sale, and may still have -- and any other Orientation Island, and what you describe, which involves traveling a distance from Ahern. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.