What would YOU do if you were Linden Lab?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Nextio said:

I never said that should've happened from my own personal viewpoint.  I followed up with a second post clarifying what i meant.  Hope that's clear enough unless you want to go in circles.

Here's my followup quote:

And I called BS on all of that. From a business viewpoint, the adult industry, or industries, make billions of dollars each year. Billions. From a business standpoint, dipping a toe into the adult waters is very wise indeed.

You also negated any viewpoint you may have when you said SL allows rape, and put it in the same category as BDSM. Both of those assertions are unequivocally false. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2019 at 3:22 AM, LeifSconde said:

My two cents would be to advertise more and in better places.I just found out about second life in February. I'm 35 and I was blown away. Not just because it's like something out of a sci-fi movie but mostly because I had never heard about it. I've spent most of my free time in front of my computer for most of my life and I never knew it existed. I just happened to see an ad for it while trying to find a way to hack an old laptop bios because it's old so who cares if I burn it up learning stuff and I figured a new mmo game could be fun. It's been amazing even though most of my experience felt like walking through some sort of post apocalyptic future society that had collapsed from some unknown catastrophe. I did end up finding some groups and made some really good friends already but I'm still feeling half amazed that it exists and still feeling completely mind blown that I never knew about it. Never even heard about it. I had absolutely no idea that anything like it existed. I would have been a steady user for the past 16 years but I didn't know it was there. Every time I log in it almost feels like I'm in the movie "Ready Player One" and I can't get over the fact that it's existed since 2003. Does Linden Labs even advertise? Other than that why only have one membership option? That doesn't make sense at all. That membership is the product. There should be as many options as possible to accommodate the variety of users. They should definitely have several options above the current premium but they should also add a couple cheaper options too for people who are willing to spend a little money  but don't care as much about the bells and whistles. The more products you have the wider your customer base will be. Of course your customer base will be zero if nobody knows about your product. I don't know if my personal experience is relevant but I just thought I would share. I want Second Life to stay around for a while. After all, I only just found out about it. :)

Welcome to Second Life. lol. I've been in it for 12 years and I found out about it when they happen to show it on the news and my boss at work at the time told me about it too. I made an account, and been here ever since. I even owned a club...was one of the longest running clubs near the beginning and was open for 6.5 years. I agree, SL does need to do more advertising....advertising is a BIG KEY to getting the word out there. HUGE!!!!

7 minutes ago, FashionEye said:

Linden labs need to do something about their viewer. The amount of people who are turning away because of the confusing default viewer. I'm tired telling people 
"IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S JUST THE VIEWER, LET ME SHOW YOU".

This has been the case since day one.

There are numerous open source projects that have been running for years pretty much dedicated to improving and exploring the end user experience. Changes in those projects can and are submitted back to LL from time to time. If you have an idea about how something should be different, and can be specific, you will find both ourselves (Catznip) and Firestorm receptive. 

SL has a unique problem in the tools on offer is broad and there is no common 'basic' set. They did in fact try including a simplified UI with their viewer .. and while people liked the easy on-boarding it provided, it was as much a hindrance as a help. There was always something someone felt it should do, and by the time you put all those together you had the full client. 

The project was scrapped.

second-life-viewer-basic-mode1.jpg

Picture from http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/2011/03/17/second-life-viewer-development-build-with-basic-and-advanced-modes/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FashionEye said:

Linden labs need to do something about their viewer. The amount of people who are turning away because of the confusing default viewer. I'm tired telling people 

You are sure they don't run away because before they even learned how to dress themselves everyone is telling them "CHANGE YOUR VIEWER" which translates to them as "This place is populated by religious zealots who fight petty wars over some access software"? The Linden viewer is not more "confusing" - you just trained yourself out of it's use by using a TPV far too long ;). If you cannot help a person on the viewer most newcomers have: please ask yourself the question if you are in a situation to offer help at all.

I remember when I logged into SL folks like you alienated me pretty much. And your kind is in every newbie area I visited. Maybe, just maybe ... this could be an underestimated part of the first time user retention problem complex.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

You are sure they don't run away because before they even learned how to dress themselves everyone is telling them "CHANGE YOUR VIEWER" which translates to them as "This place is populated by religious zealots who fight petty wars over some access software"? The Linden viewer is not more "confusing" - you just trained yourself out of it's use by using a TPV far too long ;). If you cannot help a person on the viewer most newcomers have: please ask yourself the question if you are in a situation to offer help at all.

I remember when I logged into SL folks like you alienated me pretty much. And your kind is in every newbie area I visited. Maybe, just maybe ... this could be an underestimated part of the first time user retention problem complex.

I hate the Linden Viewer. I use the Singularity viewer. I have used Firestorm, but not as good as Singularity. I hate the black buttons. I prefer blue.  It looks just like the classic Linden Viewer.  I only used Firestorm to put stuff up on the market place.

3 hours ago, Victorianna Writer said:

Welcome to Second Life. lol. I've been in it for 12 years and I found out about it when they happen to show it on the news and my boss at work at the time told me about it too. I made an account, and been here ever since. I even owned a club...was one of the longest running clubs near the beginning and was open for 6.5 years. I agree, SL does need to do more advertising....advertising is a BIG KEY to getting the word out there. HUGE!!!!

LL needs to advertise on radio, and on TV. I have seen some ads on the internet, but not much. So, LL needs to advertise more, but that will cost money. The only way for LL to advertise in a big way, is to make cuts else where. They need around $3,000,000.00 a year. Not as big amount as some companies, but still big enough to make an impact. They should also find some famous celebrities to endorse SL. How about Drew Carey? Carey was featured in the Sims game. He could be shown SL, and perhaps try SL out.

LL could offer one year of free premium to game show contestants. They could even win an island, and pay no tier for one year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FashionEye said:

There's quite a few people that use third party viewers such as Firestorm being one of them. I do anyway and from what I've seen on here there's a few that do and all my friends in SL uses Firestorm as well. 

5 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

LL needs to advertise on radio, and on TV.

What is this 'radio' and 'TV' you speak of?

I have seen some ads on the internet, but not much.

Great! Linden Lab didn't waste money showing someone who is already a customer an advert!

So, LL needs to advertise more, but that will cost money. The only way for LL to advertise in a big way, is to make cuts else where. They need around $3,000,000.00 a year. Not as big amount as some companies, but still big enough to make an impact. They should also find some famous celebrities to endorse SL. How about Drew Carey? Carey was featured in the Sims game. He could be shown SL, and perhaps try SL out.

You are aware that SL has somewhat of a reputation due to the free form nature of interpersonal interactions possible here? Good Luck.

LL could offer one year of free premium to game show contestants. They could even win an island, and pay no tier for one year.

I'm hearing the twilight zone music .. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

LL needs to advertise on radio, and on TV. I have seen some ads on the internet, but not much. So, LL needs to advertise more, but that will cost money. The only way for LL to advertise in a big way, is to make cuts else where. They need around $3,000,000.00 a year. Not as big amount as some companies, but still big enough to make an impact. They should also find some famous celebrities to endorse SL. How about Drew Carey? Carey was featured in the Sims game. He could be shown SL, and perhaps try SL out.

I dislike the Sims game....I usually get bored of games quickly. Surprisingly, SL is the longest one I've been in and played. The Sims bored me so bad lol. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, KanryDrago said:

Advertising is evil unsightly and crass. That is why more and more people are using ad blockers, switching to streaming tv away from ad supported broadcast and cable. This is why most civillised countries have created services where you can opt out of spam calls and those are widely used. People are saying loud and clear "WE DONT WANT YOUR ADVERTS" sadly advertisers aren't listening and seem convinced we want adverts if only they were cuddly enough.

I am sick to death of the ad boards we already have in world and if its somewhere I want to visit regularly then I will spend ten minutes up front to derender every single one of them and I usually find that improves my fps notably. I am by no means the only one that does it. 

If I want something irl I don't need adverts I just search for that type of product and compare and read reviews

If I want something in SL guess what I go such for that product type and read reviews etc.

No where in either of those two situations do I need adverts to find what I want, for most people 99% of the adverts we see are totally irrelevant to our lives and you want to spam our eyeballs here too.

If advertising is what you claim, either in SL or RL, there wouldn't be any of it because no one would click on it. Everybody is happy to watch the Superbowl ads

If there were that many people using ad blockers, there wouldn't be ads any more - but there are. Plenty of people don't want to pay for streaming TV and watch ads on YouTube willingly.

There are already ad boards in world, like it or not, and quite a few are ugly; if the Lindens had ad boards, they would not be. Few people are going to obsessively de-render ad boards as you claim.

You have a particular point of view on this, it is not universal; if it were, there wouldn't be ads, yet there are. So the point is to make them better looking and accessible.

Let me tell you guys about two companies. One was Marx Toys, and the other one is Mattel. Back in the early 60s, Marx Toys made about $50 million a year. Mattel made about $12 million a year. In 1978, Marx Toys went out of business. While Marx Toys made more money than Mattel, Mattel used a larger part of its budget for advertising. Marx Toys did advertise, but not to the extent as Mattel. Today, Mattel is a large company. SL has been around for 16 years, but few people have heard of SL. Everybody has heard of Facebook, or Twitter. They are always in the news. So, LL needs to find ways to advertise, and get the company in the news. They should also try to get SL in movies. Here is a movie idea.

A man, and woman hate each other in RL. But they meet up in SL, and fall in love. We need younger actors to play the couple. So Tom Hanks, and Meg Ryan are out. Need somebody in their 30s. The movie would need a good title. During the movie, scenes would be filmed in SL. I suggest showing marinas in SL. Boat racing in SL. And pirate battles in SL. Other battles would also be shown, along with the inside of clubs.

1 hour ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

Let me tell you guys about two companies. One was Marx Toys, and the other one is Mattel. Back in the early 60s, Marx Toys made about $50 million a year. Mattel made about $12 million a year. In 1978, Marx Toys went out of business. While Marx Toys made more money than Mattel, Mattel used a larger part of its budget for advertising. Marx Toys did advertise, but not to the extent as Mattel. Today, Mattel is a large company. SL has been around for 16 years, but few people have heard of SL. Everybody has heard of Facebook, or Twitter. They are always in the news. So, LL needs to find ways to advertise, and get the company in the news. They should also try to get SL in movies. Here is a movie idea.

A man, and woman hate each other in RL. But they meet up in SL, and fall in love. We need younger actors to play the couple. So Tom Hanks, and Meg Ryan are out. Need somebody in their 30s. The movie would need a good title. During the movie, scenes would be filmed in SL. I suggest showing marinas in SL. Boat racing in SL. And pirate battles in SL. Other battles would also be shown, along with the inside of clubs.

Moar Pixar

Well.

ok

Somehow, the lamp always makes me smile.

4 hours ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

Make your movie then. SL's great strength is that we can make whatever we can imagine.

Prices are too high, for membership, rents, tiers and purchase of land, we see too many people now abandoning or not buying and leaving SL, I know sl have to make a profit but Sansar I think was a wasted idea, if the money was poured into SL instead I think it would have been a better investment, when you have 43k persons and many are members already it seems better to improve that rather than try and build a new platform.  

At one point we were paying $300 a month for a region .. that's now down to $229, or $175 for mainland .. most rentals run at a 50%-75% expected occupancy .. it's not a lot of money when carved up between half a dozen people. It could certainly stand to be cheaper, but cheap land is not a make or break factor.

Opensim has nothing but cheap land, literally ... 

20 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Opensim has nothing but cheap land, literally ... 

This has always baffled me, literally no opensim grid is giving itself the financial capabilities to sustain some real infrastructure... they all seem to conside region ownership as the only edge they have.

9 hours ago, Fionalein said:

When viewer 2 was released and they finally retired viewer 1, I quit playing SL for a long while given that the viewer was absolutely terrible. I've tried viewer 3 as well and it's not a significant improvement. It lacks features and the UI is downright offensive, especially to anyone who has studied graphic/UX design at any length.

My very first advise to every newcomer is to get Firestorm (or literally any of the TPVs) because I know that if they're anything like me, they won't stick around if they think the default is the only option. It isn't elitism, it's me wanting them to have a better experience, and more often than not, they end up agreeing.

If they actually like the default, there's plenty of others who can help. :P But if I were LL, updating the default viewer would be my #1 priority.

• Thanks 1

I found out about SL from a show called Gossip girl. LL used to advertise, but soon after a lot of negative publicity happened too. There was that CSI episode, a couple of documentaries and news articles that made SL and it’s users look pretty bad. I think they gave it another shot with “Ready Player One”, but the movie didn’t do as well as expected.

I don’t think it would be easy to advertise SL. If they did we’d get an influx of people thinking it’s a video game again and being disappointed, followed by more negative publicity.

I think it’s pretty amazing that they’ve managed to retain as many users as they have with very little advertising in the last few years.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.