Second Life is down.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Thank you all for your patience.  We can't wait to call it a night!

The Lindens who were doing the maintenance work tonight are amazing.  They were so sharp and on point, and kept communicating out, so that we could communicate to you all.  The forced downtime is not something any of us would have chosen, but the way things were handled was absolutely stellar. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Sheesh ..

This is what happens when you need to unplug stuff and do upgrades / maintenance.

We knew this was coming.

Something really bad has not happened.

FTaF0W9.png

I agree with you 100% I recently talked about how SL should be like other MMO games and shut down the entire game to do permanent fixes. I really hope they used the, it's our network that needs fixing, as a facade to work on everything. Funny depiction of the engineers. 🤣

• Lindens

Hi folks.

We're really sorry for the trouble tonight. Things didn't go as we'd planned. Second Life is a very complex distributed system, and it failed in a way we didn't think it would. If we'd known it was going to turn out this way we would have given a lot more heads up.

The grid is back up and things have stabilized. The engineers on my team worked really hard most of the night. (It's 2:45am PDT as I write this!) We're heading off to get some rest after a very intense few hours.

Thanks for the patience. I know it's super disruptive when Second Life isn't behaving correctly, and this was one of the worse outages we've had in years.

April ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 14

56 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I agree with you 100% I recently talked about how SL should be like other MMO games and shut down the entire game to do permanent fixes. I really hope they used the, it's our network that needs fixing, as a facade to work on everything. Funny depiction of the engineers. 🤣

They used to shut down once a week for a day to do fixes and updates, then it was half a day, now its "we can do it with everyone online" which doesn't really work. I would be happy if they shut down to do fixes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

Well, first of all, that was an announced time frame for maintenance, not an outage. There has been no announced time frame for the outage. 

Second, I have a bit more faith in LL than that. LL is not perfect. Sometimes they get things wrong. And, yes, sometimes things like maintenance take longer than expected. But by and large they do really well at keeping up a product that uses old infrastructure to support all manner of custom designed product created by a bunch of people who are, mostly, not pros. I think that's pretty amazing. I'm confident that they will get this fixed and I won't be a bit surprised if it is sooner than expected. Sometimes they do that too. 

And with that, I am off to get some sleep. Thank you, @Tommy Linden, @Grumpity Linden, and @Wulf Linden for participating in this thread and thank you to all for the entertaining comments. If I end up laying in bed staring at my ipad I'll probably end up looking at this thread. Otherwise, see everyone tomorrow. 

By outage i meant we cant log in.. 

It was a joke. geez.. 

7 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

But for the workings under our hood, I am afraid I am not the best person to speak about that, and the ones that are, are knee deep under the hood right now.

Are you saying that SL's server farm is an inline six in a pickup truck? I don't know any other engine compartment that has enough room for you to stand inside it. And you should hire shorter mechanics. If they're only knee deep, they've gotta be all hunched over to avoid banging their heads into the hood.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
8 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

knee deep under the hood right now.

Are you saying that SL's server farm is an inline six in a pickup truck? I don't know any other engine compartment that has enough room for you to stand inside it. And you should hire shorter mechanics. If they're only knee deep, they've gotta be all hunched over to avoid banging their heads into the hood.

You know who says “knee deep”, don’t you? Frogs!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wow.

I missed the whole thing.

Me too. Logged off last night, slept soundly, woke up this morning, and checked the forum before I got out of bed *coughs*…….I just thought this was a necro'd thread, so I checked the last page, and found it wasn't. 

I logged on earlier (mid afternoon UK time), and everything fine...…….so I missed all the drama...…..just like Lindal...……… *sigh of relief*

I'm in the Scottish Highlands next week, so I know I will be off line for eight days...….now that is challenging. Even proper e-mail struggles up there...………. :x

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I still wanna park my trailer next to your barn. Even more so now. 👼

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, April Linden said:

Hi folks.

We're really sorry for the trouble tonight. Things didn't go as we'd planned. Second Life is a very complex distributed system, and it failed in a way we didn't think it would. If we'd known it was going to turn out this way we would have given a lot more heads up.

The grid is back up and things have stabilized. The engineers on my team worked really hard most of the night. (It's 2:45am PDT as I write this!) We're heading off to get some rest after a very intense few hours.

Thanks for the patience. I know it's super disruptive when Second Life isn't behaving correctly, and this was one of the worse outages we've had in years.

April ❤️

Stuff happens. What we really appreciate is the communication. Thanks very much to the Linden team for helping the residents get through a tough time. ❤️

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SelenaKnowing Amaranth said:

That dropped in a matter of a second from 3K to 282, ghost town. I'll watch a movie and shower or something… Walk my dog. Eat. Grocery shopping. Eh, nope not fun when I can not be logged in. :D

Before I went to bed, the number of people inworld was 6, I don't think I've ever seen it that low, it was spooky.

• Like 1

I just want to say thank you to @Tommy Linden, @Grumpity Linden, @April Linden and all the others who stayed up into the night to get this fixed. And most of all, for keeping everyone updated, both on the status page and especially here. I wasn't affected because it all happened while I was asleep, and then going to work in the morning, but I'm sure that for those who were affected, your efforts are much appreciated.

Free drinks for you all at the Red Lion, next time you're passing :D.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I just want to say thank you to @Tommy Linden, @Grumpity Linden, @April Linden and all the others who stayed up into the night to get this fixed. And most of all, for keeping everyone updated, both on the status page and especially here. I wasn't affected because it all happened while I was asleep, and then going to work in the morning, but I'm sure that for those who were affected, your efforts are much appreciated.

Free drinks for you all at the Red Lion, next time you're passing :D.

It was especially nice to have @Tommy Linden and @Grumpity Linden hanging out in the forums and conversing with those of us that were here, while everything was down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anniepany said:

Before I went to bed, the number of people inworld was 6, I don't think I've ever seen it that low, it was spooky.

Like being in Sansar ? No, that's unfair, there's 19 players on there right now :D  45K on SL. Bwahaha !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If your last name is Campbell, don't go to Skye. xD

No problem @Selene GregoireThe weather is so bad on Skye they won't see me in the thick mist. Last time we could see the end of the car and not much else. I did get a nice tartan scarf there though.

Edited by EllieNewell
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.