Second Life is down.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, April Linden said:

I promise you it wasn't me that chewed those wires. I dunno how they got chewed. They were pre-chewed when I got there. 😗

I'll bet everyone will be checking cables as soon as they pull them out of the box from now on. LOL

3 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I think that's exactly what they did in the post? Their redundant system failed, when they interrupted their network.

Doubt they can explain an outage so complicated and unique that their top engineers, a top consultant and even the core router manufacturer were clueless, in understandable laymans terms. I don't think we have to worry about advanced poop like that going on at our routers at home, or even at work. If your work has routers of their capacity, you will have a team of IT engineers maintaining them ;) 

Sometimes cables get rat/mouse chewed while in warehouse/storage. I've had field mice as pets before. The last one I had I found in a box we had brought home from storage. So, it isn't always a technical explanation. Which is what I suspected.

And yes a bunch of my things were mouse chewed. Including two of my favorite Christmas sweaters.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2320790/infrastructure-management-when-animals-attack.html

• In the past few years, rats have been blamed for chewing through fiber-optic cables in locations as varied as Ontario and India, leaving hundreds of thousands of customers without Internet or phone service.

• A data center at Stanford University in the mid-1990s switched to back-up generators after a squirrel blew out the main transformer. The rodent's charred remains were found hours later, exposed by its pungent odor.

• Texas Tech University researchers have cited red, imported fire ants as being network troublemakers as far back as 1939, when Southwestern Bell Telephone reported problems in Galveston, Texas.

• AT&T and other telecom companies and equipment makers seeking ways to protect their networks and products from pocket gophers' choppers drew fire from animal rights activists in the mid-1990s for paying U.S. government researchers over two-plus decades to trap the animals, cage them and watch them gnaw on cables strung within the cages. Such cable-durability tests have since been halted.

• Owners of underwater cables have had to make their links shark resistant after suffering outages caused by fish bites.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ants get into my outdoor electrical boxes, packing them with so much debris the ground fault interrupters eventually trip. Last year I put a spoonful of ant poison in each box. I hope that's the end of it. Li'l buggers.

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Ants get into my outdoor electrical boxes, packing them with so much debris the ground fault interrupters eventually trip. Last year I put a spoonful of ant poison in each box. I hope that's the end of it. Li'l buggers.

We have an ant problem here, too. Can't seem to get rid of the little buggers but eventually I'll get it taken care of. I just wish the pest control company I used to ese had offices here. At least our ants aren't ones that are venomous, like fire ants. The bites hurt but they don't get infected.

• Lindens
8 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Now that would have been an embarrassing moment for the datacenter manager, if there really had been mice chewing the cables tin here :)

Well, um, I'm a rabbit, and wires look like vines, and uh... >.>

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'll try to be polite with this:

When you're going to do work on your core systems (routers included) shut down the bloody network - any user that wants to complain about it can sod right off.

There was no need to apologize.

Explain what went wrong, take steps to try and avoid it, move on.

Updating a working server grid certainly seems challenging, like yanking the tablecloth without spilling the wine. And that reminds me of an old joke about a mechanic, working on a heart surgeon's car:

Mechanic: Hey, we have similar skills, we both work on valves.
Surgeon: Yes, but I do it while the engine's running.

Thanks for the effort, LL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

1231648796_ServerBunny.png.da2b5deaa5d71426ce949c5368c297fc.png

You know, if I hadn't started playing hidden object games for the first time this week (completed 4!) I'd never have noticed that spool of cable and the stack of boxes look fake. At least the slippers and rabbit are real. Pay attention to the direction shadows fall in and it isn't so obvious.

Oh and April is cute but the purple bunny is cuter. :P

And clean up that room! xD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.