Jump to content
animats

Second Life is down.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Wulf Linden said:

Letting others know we are working hard to resolve this is extremely helpful.  Share the status page with people you see on the forums running into difficulties to save them some headaches.  This page will be updated regularly when new information is available.  

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

 

 

7 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

There are things you can do! You can point them to this lovely thread, or this one Network Maintenance or our Status Grid (this is a great resource for all new people to have!) and even to our Twitter and Facebook page as well. All great places to find out what is going on with Second Life.

We shall pass on the news of this glorious thread and the honored grid status website. (Right, everybody? We're gonna be helpful while we watch our cat videos, right?) 

I guess I'll ask the obvious question. I'm sure you don't know when things will be back up. But can you give a rough idea? Are talking about an hour or two? Or, more realistically, tomorrow? Or longer? Or just no idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Oh dear, I think the beta grid just died too.

I have yet to be able to get into beta, it always says my password is wrong..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beta grid is up, but when I upload a .DAE file for an animesh object that worked yesterday, it won't animate. Yesterday's upload animates just fine. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Message "Asset server didn't return in a timely fashion. Object returned to sim" in Animesh1 on beta grid.

Probably not a good time to be doing animesh work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

All part of the master plan! Just like when you are waiting for a knock on the door, or a phone call.

I'm back! So logins are enabled now? Or did you disable them again right before I got back! xP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tarina Sewell said:

I have yet to be able to get into beta, it always says my password is wrong..

I would be happy to have my team help with that Tarina, just send in a ticket, and then let me know privately what the ticket number is and I will have an agent help you out as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

 

We shall pass on the news of this glorious thread and the honored grid status website. (Right, everybody? We're gonna be helpful while we watch our cat videos, right?) 

I guess I'll ask the obvious question. I'm sure you don't know when things will be back up. But can you give a rough idea? Are talking about an hour or two? Or, more realistically, tomorrow? Or longer? Or just no idea?

The best I can tell you right now, is we have a lot of people working hard on getting it resolved, and that we want everyone back in Second Life as quickly as possible. Except @CrystalFragments we are tormenting them as part of the master plan.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CrystalFragments said:

I'm back! So logins are enabled now? Or did you disable them again right before I got back! xP

I still can't login. I get a logins are disabled message. But see discussion about the login progress bar. Now that mine is full, I'm sure I will be able to login any minute!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tommy Linden said:

The best I can tell you right now, is we have a lot of people working hard on getting it resolved, and that we want everyone back in Second Life as quickly as possible. Except @CrystalFragments we are tormenting them as part of the master plan.

So, hypothetically . . . if a snow leopard were sitting on the servers and started shedding heavily because, you know, it's a move to a far warmer climate . . . would the shedding into the servers have this effect?

Asking for a friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Female Winslet said:

So, hypothetically . . . if a snow leopard were sitting on the servers and started shedding heavily because, you know, it's a move to a far warmer climate . . . would the shedding into the servers have this effect?

Asking for a friend. 

I would be more concerned that there was a snow leopard sitting on the servers above anything else that might be going on. Also, do I get to keep the snow leopard as a pet if I convince it to move off of the servers?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

I would be more concerned that there was a snow leopard sitting on the servers above anything else that might be going on. Also, do I get to keep the snow leopard as a pet if I convince it to move off of the servers?

I think you made a typo when you meant to ask if the snow leopard would keep you for a pet. No, I will not be your pet. . . Uhhhh  . . . I mean my friend won't be your pet. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tarina Sewell said:
     

 

This have anything to do with the earthquake near Darwin?

 

Thankfully it does not have anything to do with that earthquake.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grumpity Linden said:

You heard it first.  It's all Lucia's fault.  

Seriously though, we're very carefully lining our ducks back up in a row - and will enable logins again as soon as it's prudent.  We're not actually that crazy about taking down the grid, but we had to bang on some things, and are terribly sorry!

 

Do you need a bigger hammer? I have a sledgehammer you can borrow if needed. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

The best I can tell you right now, is we have a lot of people working hard on getting it resolved, and that we want everyone back in Second Life as quickly as possible. Except @CrystalFragments we are tormenting them as part of the master plan.

you meanie! 😟xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:
     

 

This have anything to do with the earthquake near Darwin?

 

I doubt it..  someone mentioned at one stage they use a data center near arizona somewhere,

The downtime sounds like a server migration to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kathyparnes1 said:

I doubt it..  someone mentioned at one stage they use a data center near arizona somewhere,

The downtime sounds like a server migration to me...

Well, we know there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes related to moving into the cloud. I am not a tech wizard, but that sounds to me like some pretty big work that is likely to involve some downtime. And maybe what's happening now is part of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SelenaKnowing Amaranth said:

This is really going to take 3 days? I am worried a little. :(

The announced maintenance period was 4 days, the 13-16 (13, 14, 15, 16). That doesn't mean this outage will last all four days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrystalFragments said:

Btw @Tommy Linden for us tech nerds can you give us an idea? Former Net+ and A+ student here curious about the workings under the hood

I could give you a lot of ideas. Such as...

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all"?

Why do they report power outages on TV?

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?

But for the workinds under our hood, I am afraid I am not the best person to speak about that, and the ones that are, are knee deep under the hood right now.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Female Winslet said:

The announced maintenance period was 4 days, the 13-16 (13, 14, 15, 16). That doesn't mean this outage will last all four days.

Oh dear 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I ask if we should try logging in constantly or is that a heavy burden on the servers? I can imagine, and that may be why the login attempts are being disabled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...