Second Life is down.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

I could give you a lot of ideas. Such as...

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all"?

Why do they report power outages on TV?

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?

But for the workinds under our hood, I am afraid I am not the best person to speak about that, and the ones that are, are knee deep under the hood right now.

Your soothing presence is appreciated. Most of us are in stage 3 withdrawal by now. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Tommy Linden said:

I could give you a lot of ideas. Such as...

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all"?

Why do they report power outages on TV?

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?

But for the workinds under our hood, I am afraid I am not the best person to speak about that, and the ones that are, are knee deep under the hood right now.

Dang, too bad I could not dig in. I am way too far away logistically to help nor would I be much help w/o being trained for the specifics first.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Myra Wildmist said:

Your soothing presence is appreciated. Most of us are in stage 3 withdrawal by now. :D

Well I am glad my soothing presence can be here to help while it can! It might at some point need sleep, but for now, its here!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gwenfrewy said:

Can I ask if we should try logging in constantly or is that a heavy burden on the servers? I can imagine, and that may be why the login attempts are being disabled?

Don't. Please.Think about a few hundred people doing that all at the same time and the load it puts on the servers. It's the reason why so many have trouble logging back in once logins are re-enabled. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

Well I am glad my soothing presence can be here to help while it can! It might at some point need sleep, but for now, its here!

Sadly, I will have to go pretty soon and sleep myself. I'm a snow leopard. A cat. I've only been getting 18 hours of sleep a day lately! I'm sure you can imagine how that feels!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Don't. Please.Think about a few hundred people doing that all at the same time and the load it puts on the servers. It's the reason why so many have trouble logging back in once logins are re-enabled. 

Understood, so I just wait and read this forum and then when they give a clear, and or I see that the number of People online goes up then assume I can try again?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Female Winslet said:

Sadly, I will have to go pretty soon and sleep myself. I'm a snow leopard. A cat. I've only been getting 18 hours of sleep a day lately! I'm sure you can imagine how that feels!

18 hours? Well color me jealous!

1 hour ago, Gwenfrewy said:

Understood, so I just wait and read this forum and then when they give a clear, and or I see that the number of People online goes up then assume I can try again?

That or just keep checking the grid status page. You can access it from the forum by clicking on the link up top on the menu bar. 

Here's the link: https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That or just keep checking the grid status page. You can access it from the forum by clicking on the link up top on the menu bar. 

Here's the link: https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

3 minutes ago, Gwenfrewy said:

Correct! We will update the Status Grid when we have resolved the matter. It is the best place to follow issues with Second Life.

• Like 1

When a certain MMO that shalt not be named did their server migration they kept stringing us along with specific times for the server to be back online. what added insult to injury was that these deadlines they kept failing to meet then posting another deadline a few minutes after the servers were supposed to be back up. It is incredibly irksome to keep stringing users along like that. Many of us waited for several hours for said servers to relaunch which they only did two days after the relaunch date was missed.

I am grateful that LL did not do this for us. I would rather someone tell me they have no clue what time it will be back up then have me waiting to get back on at a specific time.

20 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

The announced maintenance period was 4 days, the 13-16 (13, 14, 15, 16). That doesn't mean this outage will last all four days.

You and i both know it will be longer though... If they give an estimated time of an outage, doubling it is the SOP for LL..

bang_on_things.jpg.9a29d2452c7c13a9af270ce8ad347d1a.jpg

1 minute ago, CrystalFragments said:

I don't want a houseboat I want one of the fancy new land houses :P

You'll be able to get one when 643 people who currently have a land house, abandon it in hope of getting a boat.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You and i both know it will be longer though... If they give an estimated time of an outage, doubling it is the SOP for LL..

bang_on_things.jpg.9a29d2452c7c13a9af270ce8ad347d1a.jpg

Well, first of all, that was an announced time frame for maintenance, not an outage. There has been no announced time frame for the outage. 

Second, I have a bit more faith in LL than that. LL is not perfect. Sometimes they get things wrong. And, yes, sometimes things like maintenance take longer than expected. But by and large they do really well at keeping up a product that uses old infrastructure to support all manner of custom designed product created by a bunch of people who are, mostly, not pros. I think that's pretty amazing. I'm confident that they will get this fixed and I won't be a bit surprised if it is sooner than expected. Sometimes they do that too. 

And with that, I am off to get some sleep. Thank you, @Tommy Linden, @Grumpity Linden, and @Wulf Linden for participating in this thread and thank you to all for the entertaining comments. If I end up laying in bed staring at my ipad I'll probably end up looking at this thread. Otherwise, see everyone tomorrow. 

Edited by Female Winslet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.